All Topics / Help Needed! / Well Im happy :)

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

Just to show that property isnt the be all and end all, especially when the returns arnt all that great at the mo. Decided to whack $50k I had ready for a deposit into the stock market on a spec mining stock code MAK (Minemakers LTD) . Bought in at the start of the month for around $0.45 now trading at $1.60. Think Im happy :) :) :) BTW according to all the analysis Ive read it should still have plenty of legs-tipping $10 by April when they start drilling!!

Profile photo of McNormanMcNorman
    Participant
    @mcnorman

Not bad at all blogs, how did you get the info for that one to start with?

I havent had anything to do with the stock market yet
    but am studying it at the moment and just about ready to start trading.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Blogs,
    You have done really well but remember that a 400% gain comes with an increased risk. Diversifying your stock market investment rather than having 50k in one high risk speculative share would lower the risk.
    What you have to keep in your mind is how would you cope if 50k became 5k like one of my shares MFS did – hence I do not own it anymore. However as it was a small part of my overall portfolio I can cope with the loss and make up the lost ground later.
    Imagine if you had invested in these blue chip companies -Centro or HIH or OneTel.
    Check out the past failure of them!

What is better with shares is the fact that you do not have to tie up $240,000 in one investment or $50,000 IN ONE INVESTMENT ,where as in property you have to pay stamp duty, mortgage insurance, council rates, Water rates, repair bills, cover any vacancy periods, insurance and land tax. Plus you have to find a lot of money to put in one investment unless you are entering property through using listed property trusts through the share market.
    This is not financial advice but given information for you to think about what the risk tolerance you have with investing may be.

Profile photo of jsawtelljsawtell
    Participant
    @jsawtell

Well done blogs.  Take the money while you can.  I am sure you know this.  The market is volatile at the moment.  Having that sort of dollars wrapped up in one stock is dangerous and I am sure a lot of people have lost in the past 3 months.  There are some bargains to be had on the market at the moment.

Continue with the good work.  Feel free to share any other stock info.

Jas

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Hit and run. If you are prepared to sit on $50k investment/risk in the company, take your profits now (and keep them), leave the balance ie $50k there if you want to carry the risk again of the price hitting the target – it will still be worthwhile to you.

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    McNorman wrote:
    Not bad at all blogs, how did you get the info for that one to start with?

I havent had anything to do with the stock market yet
    but am studying it at the moment and just about ready to start trading.

Check out hotcopper.com.au-lots and lots of good info there!!! ;) Some gurus that are like the foundations of the ASX world :)

Participant
    @blogs
    duckster wrote:
    Blogs,
    You have done really well but remember that a 400% gain comes with an increased risk. Diversifying your stock market investment rather than having 50k in one high risk speculative share would lower the risk.

Thanks for the advice duckster but whats to say I dont already have a diversified investment ;)

duckster wrote:
    What you have to keep in your mind is how would you cope if 50k became 5k like one of my shares MFS did – hence I do not own it anymore. However as it was a small part of my overall portfolio I can cope with the loss and make up the lost ground later.
    Imagine if you had invested in these blue chip companies -Centro or HIH or OneTel.
    Check out the past failure of them!

True, but what people also fail to realise is if the property market drops back 5-10% that $40k would be totally wiped out, at least for the stock to be wiped out it has to come back 150%. Plus I dont have to pay realestate fees etc to sell, just $19 a trade :)

duckster wrote:
    What is better with shares is the fact that you do not have to tie up $240,000 in one investment or $50,000 IN ONE INVESTMENT ,where as in property you have to pay stamp duty, mortgage insurance, council rates, Water rates, repair bills, cover any vacancy periods, insurance and land tax. Plus you have to find a lot of money to put in one investment unless you are entering property through using listed property trusts through the share market.

Agree entirely-I think balance is the key-to not have tunnel vision and only have property or stock, but a balance between the two.

Participant
    @blogs
    jsawtell wrote:
    Well done blogs.  Take the money while you can.  I am sure you know this.  The market is volatile at the moment.  Having that sort of dollars wrapped up in one stock is dangerous and I am sure a lot of people have lost in the past 3 months.  There are some bargains to be had on the market at the moment.

Continue with the good work.  Feel free to share any other stock info.

Jas

Thanks mate-already have so basically Im just using play money now. I think banks in a few months will be a great buy-they have come back 30% since December, still some more bad news to funnel through but once that is clear definately a good buy IMHO.

Participant
    @blogs

Hope some of you had a look at MAK and took a punt becasue its now trading at close to $2!!!

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

ABS is also trading at close to $2.00.  On Monday it was trading at close to $4.00.

Cheers

K

Participant
    @blogs
    Linar wrote:
    ABS is also trading at close to $2.00.  On Monday it was trading at close to $4.00.

Cheers

K

lol oh well that just shoots me down-quick everyone sell sell sell lol

Completely different companies with completely diferent stories. Do some research before bothering with silly posts…..

I dont care, made another nice profit this morn when MAK dropped back to $1.65 which was a bargain so bought more, now up around $2.10.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Now back to $1.88.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Blogs,

So, overall for the last 12 months until today, are you up or down with the shares, and how much percentage?

Participant
    @blogs

All I can say is WOW!!!! What a crazy topsy turvy day!! A stack of profit taking as would be expected saw the share price bouce from a between a high of $2.10 down to a low of $1.55 I think it was. Did this at least 4 times during the course of the day-was pretty exciting to say the least and ectremley nerev racking, though was totally expected-a lot of people have mental 'blocks' so that when the share price hits a nice even figure like $2 decide to profit take and get out, then when it drops back down buy back in etc and so it continued all day.

I did a fair amount of profit taking myself and am again quite happy, just over the last 3 days I have averaged around 20-50% per day doing numerous trades. Still good value in my opinion and the stock needed this correction to maintain upward momentum. Now that the $2 mental barrier has been broken it should get up and over without too much trouble in the next week or two.. :) WIl be looking to buy back in at around $1.30 tomorrow :)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

blogs how many are you buying in companies such as these.

By the way the low for the day was 1.465.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @blogs
    Qlds007 wrote:
    blogs how many are you buying in companies such as these.

This is the only spec stock Im trading in at the mo-put the rest into CBA and the NAB…good potential there me thinks-peoples super needs to be put somewhere and they are down about 30% from December…

Participant
    @blogs
    Qlds007 wrote:

Thanks-I was in a rush to get going home from work and couldnt be bothered checking. IMHO will probably drop back to $1.30 odd today with recovery towards the end of the day. End of next week should see it back up at $2. As with everyones quotes with property though-Im not an expert blah blah blah seek profesional advice blah blah blah. Im just sharing my story :)

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

What made you choose MAK, I'm sure there's a ton of ramping of other stocks as well on Hotcopper?

$50k is a Big Punt (For me anyhow), in JANUARY 2008 they were only 20c and less than that in JANUARY 2007, gutsy bet, I'm glad it paid off for you

Participant
    @blogs
    redwing wrote:
    What made you choose MAK, I'm sure there's a ton of ramping of other stocks as well on Hotcopper?

$50k is a Big Punt (For me anyhow), in JANUARY 2008 they were only 20c and less than that in JANUARY 2007, gutsy bet, I'm glad it paid off for you

Kind of a mix of things-my dad is involved in phosphate sales and agriculture and after reading about MAK and what they were doing my ears pricked up. Did a lot of reading and figured they were onto a good thing and would be worth a punt. Basically agriculture is set to boom-more and more mouths to feed everyday at a compounding rate. Besides IPL (Incitec Pivot Ltd) are MAKS only peers and have a look at what their share price is worth AND how much it has gone up up the last 6 months. If MAK starts producing even half of what it plans $2 will look like a bargain basement price. Im happy to day trade and make some money along the way but am holding for the long term!!!

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Blogs,

you still didn't answer my question, and it's fairly straight forward;

Are you up or down for the last 12 months with your SHARES, and what percentage?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.