All Topics / Help Needed! / sell ip sell ppor?????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of robinmrobinm
    @robinm

hi how is everyone?

we have an ip worth $190-210k rented at $195 per week
    it pretty much covers itself

we have our ppor owing $295 valued at about the same amount ( maybe a little more ) $2K per month mortgage
    our income is about $85k with one child

we want to move back to our home town where our ip is
    the wages are lower than where we are

so what we want to do is sell our ppor and keep our ip and buy a house under $200k near our home town

has anyone got any advice on how to do this ?

do we move back into our ip and try and get a loan for the house we want and rent out the ip again (new jobs new town )

or do we sell our ppor and live with family for a while whilst we apply for a loan for another ppor in the same area as our ip where our wages will be less

or do we sell our ppor keep our ip rented and rent a house for ourselves in the area where we want to live

hope this is not too confusing ………we are

any advice would be greatly appreciated

robin & audrey

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

If it were me, I'd be moving back to a rental in the hometown, rent out the PPoR and keep both properties as IP's.

Of course, whether you could hold the two and service the debts on both as well as pay rent yourselves would depend on your new incomes and what the rent you will be paying will be, and what rent you get from your current PPoR.

If this equation doesn't work, or you simply must have a house in the home town which is yours, then I would sell the current PPoR and use the funds for the new PPoR.

Don't sell the IP. As you said yourself; it basically pays for itself, and there will be good tax deductions to consider as well no doubt.

The stats are something like more than half of the investors only ever get one IP, sell it soon after and never invest again.

Profile photo of robinmrobinm
    @robinm

thanks marc

we wouldn't be able to keep our ip and this current ppor and pay a new mortgage on a new ppor

so pretty much

• keep ip
    • sell current ppor
    • rent or buy new ppor in home town

just been looking on the net at rentals in our home town ( pop. 9000 ) , between 5 real estate agents we have found 11 houses for rent

really don't want to sell ip , just got to work out how to borrow the money for new ppor
    once we move our incomes drop and we will be in new jobs, both of which the banks won't like

I didn't mention that our ip only has a mortgage of $100k,  so around $90-100k equity.
    so what are your thoughts on when to borrow

robin & audrey

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

I'd sell the existing PPR and buy the new PPR right now, before your income drops. I think I'd be telling the lender that you've figured out that it's a better financial option for you to rent in your current location and own another IP in your home town, and not tell them your plans to move/change jobs. After all, it's only a plan, and plans change. If you've already accepted the new job, however, then be very careful that you don't tell any untruths – I never lie, but one doesn't necessarily have to tell them things that they don't ask, or plans that may or may not eventuate.

After you've settled the new property, well, perhaps you may decide that you'd like to move back to your old home town after all and live in that IP; you may even decide that on the afternoon of settlement day.

And before you change jobs, I'd also be pulling as much equity out of the current IP as I could, too, by way of a redraw or refinance, in case you want to invest further, or even just to have some "buffer". With lower paying jobs and further interest rate rises likely, and perhaps your family enlarging, it always pays to have some cash handy. From what you've told us of your financial situation, I'd be wanting at least $20 or $30K in cash accessible.

When you're in a strong position, arrange as much finance as you possibly can; because if (heaven forbid) you get into trouble, you can't get it anymore. Or as an extremely successful investor that I admire put it: "Whenever somebody offers you money, take it!"

Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

Robinm,
    I agree with Trakka, but have you had a look at the FTB increases if you are renting, especially with an expected drop in income.  This may be enough to cover any shortfall and keep your current PPOR as an IP while you rent.
    Just a thought.
    JL

Profile photo of robinmrobinm
    @robinm

that sounds logical

jl what do you mean about FTB (what is that)
    so now i will have to figure out what we can comfortably afford with the new ip and paying rent at the same time until we move

amazing I have tossed this around my head for days and all I had to do was ask

thanks
    robin

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Robin

FTB = Family tax benefits

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/21556.htm&mnu=1205&mfp=001/002

This is a link to the ATO site for explination and calculations. If you have never claimed this before I think you can claim up to 2 years back … just did a quick read so I might be wrong.

Hope this helps
    Elka

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.