All Topics / Finance / Book keeping

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of SwanySwany
    @swany

Hi all,

This is an account keeping question.

I was wondering how the mechanics of the book keeping goes. I plan to buy  a few properties so do I have one bank account for each property with its own cheque account and credit card? By having seperate loans I guess this would allow me to shop around for the best deal with different lenders and not have all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Or do I use one lender that allows seperate accounts for each property under one loan. I think there would be pros and cons for each but like the idea of using different lenders.

Any help as to the mechaics of how to structure the cah flow ins and outs and opinons on whether one lenders Vs muliple would be of great help.

Cheers

Swany

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

There is nothing to stop you having 1 savings account where all of the inflows go including your salary or similar which is a 100% offset account linked to one of the investment loans (assuming that you have no non tax deductible loan) and separate loans on each property.

By using different lenders for each property you may find that you are not able to negotiate as good as a deal as if you had a larger loan with the 1 lender.

As long as the loans are not cross collateralised then i cant see too much of an issue.

Your mortgage broker should be able to structure this correctly for you.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of SwanySwany
    @swany

Richard…thanks for the info.

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

Swany,

I have a few loans with different funders. However I find it easy to manage by having one main savings account (with the CBA) that I utilise for transferring direct deposits for the interest repayments on all the loans. It also acts as a day to day account with a credit card and cheque book attached. I run a 100% offset account alongside the CBA loan account into which I put any extra income or other funds and only have a smaller amount in the running account – say under $500. I can shuffle funds easily on netbank to ensure this process works efficiently. I can deal with my local branch if any issues arise. I also have online access to the other loans if I wish to make extra repayments or any redraws but I don't use their credit cards, cheque books, etc. as it would become too complicated.

Hope this helps, Ian

@swany

Hi Ian,
    Thanks for the reply.

I thought it would be alot easier to reconcile inflows/outflows against each property if there was a seperate account for each.

With multiple properties I expect there would be different insurance amounts, repair costs, etc going out whilst varying amounts coming in.Thus a pain to reconcile.  I also thought it would be easier to keep a CGT regester against each property.

How tedious is the book keeping for you and what do you think about using different loan providers. Richard makes the point of better term negtionation on loans.

Regards

Swany

Profile photo of damo001damo001
    @damo001

Another finance question,

If you are looking for IP's can you claim flights, car hire, etc.  If you haven't put a contract or pruchased a property.  Can it still be a tax deduction? 

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    damo001 wrote:

Another finance question,

If you are looking for IP's can you claim flights, car hire, etc. If you haven't put a contract or pruchased a property. Can it still be a tax deduction?

No, you generally cannot claim these. They maybe claimable on the sale. But if you are in the business of property investment, you may be able to claim them – check with your accountant.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian
    Swany wrote:
    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for the reply.

I thought it would be alot easier to reconcile inflows/outflows against each property if there was a seperate account for each.

With multiple properties I expect there would be different insurance amounts, repair costs, etc going out whilst varying amounts coming in.Thus a pain to reconcile. I also thought it would be easier to keep a CGT regester against each property.

How tedious is the book keeping for you and what do you think about using different loan providers. Richard makes the point of better term negtionation on loans.

Regards

Swany

I have a simple excel spreadsheet for each property and separate ring binder folder (not computer) for all the receipts and other property paperwork to be kept. I simply enter each invoice into the relevant spreadsheet as it comes in and file the paperwork. My spreadsheet for each property has columns differentiating things like Capital costs, Interest payments, Rates and Insurance, Maintenance,etc. The spreadsheet for each property goes to my accountant at tax time and he sorts out the rest.

On Loan Providers

I have recently started using a Mortgage Strategist / Broker for my loans as it was all becoming too complicated for me to handle myself. I had been dealing with different banks and different brokers and the whole process was hampering my progress. I came to the conclusion that if I intended to build up a growing portfolio of some significance then I needed to ensure that I could access funds at the crucial times when I needed them. A competent strategist will provide this service and also guide you to some extent with your financial goals – depending on how experienced they are. A Mortgage Strategist is just one person in the important team of supportive professionals that you need around you to keep things ticking along smoothly. Like everything else, I am sure there are good ones and bad ones out there. It's just fate or karma I guess that some investors are fortunate enough to select efficient and compatible advisers / professionals from the start and others run into inexperienced ones and need to tweak their team every now and then. I think that, at least , it is desirable for your accountant and mortgage strategist to be actively involved in property investment themselves so they understand your needs.

Good luck, Ian  

@swany

Thanks again Ian…..I appreciate your help.

Regards

Swany

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.