All Topics / Help Needed! / NSW Stamp Duty Question?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of FireflyFirefly
    Participant
    @kiz

Quick question…

If you buy a property with a long settlement and then find another buyer to settle on the same date; are both of you liable to pay stamp duty? Or if you never actually take possession of the property are you exempt from paying?

As times are changing i am looking for ways in which to be creative about making profits from renovations. I am in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and with prices and purchasing cost being so high, it would add $20k + to my profit margin each time if i didn't have to pay stamp duty. As interest rates go up and the number of buyers come down i figure i will be in a better position to negotiate more flexible terms. I would like to take on renovation projects where i can renovate and get it back on the market and sold all within my own settlement period. The question is, would i still be liable for stamp duty??? Thanks for your help :)

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will have to pay stamp duty if you on sell. One possible way around it is to use an option and then just onsel the option. I think you will have to pay stamp duty on the option, but it should be only a much smaller amount.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I'm with you Terry – only question is Kiz – how do you take possession for the refurbishment works without 'owning' ie are you renting or have negotiated a longer settlement period with access?

Profile photo of FireflyFirefly
    Participant
    @kiz

thanks for the replies, i thought that was the case, it may be different in the USA :( not easy to make money in this country without the government taking a massive chunk of it…. still, will not give up :D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.