All Topics / Value Adding / Hep with rough estimate for floorboards + paint

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of salilkanheresalilkanhere
    @salilkanhere

Hi,

I have come across a 3 bedroom apartment that I wish to purchase. It needs a bit of work – (i) new floorboards to replace the dirty carpet and (ii) fresh coat of paint. I want to factor in the costs of these renovations before I decide if want to make an offer. Can someone help with a rough estimate for the above. I am new to property so I any help would be appreciated – I just need a rough estimate – will this cost 10K$, 15K$ or more. The apartment is a 3 bedder of about 100 square meter and I would need to hire handymen to do the job since I am not confident in my ability to do either of the two task.

cheers
    salil

Profile photo of setekhsetekh
    @setekh

Hi Salil

We are currently fixing up our apartment of the same size. The raw materials will cost you in the order of:

The paint and materials (brushes, rollers, sugar soap, sponges etc – $550
    Laminate wood flooring and acoustic underlay $2400

I would probably allow for 5 days handyman hire to paint and lay the laminate. We did the painting our selves over a few weeks ahah. We will be getting someone to put the flooring down and this will likely be about $1800 for labour.

If you plan to rent the apartment out maybe consider laminate flooring over the real wood floor as it is cheaper, and more durable. 

And after all that looks like i didnt answer your question hah.

cheers

Set

Profile photo of salilkanheresalilkanhere
    @salilkanhere

Thanks Set

That surely helps. I will look into laminate flooring as you have suggested.

cheers and good luck with your renovations.

salil

Profile photo of Ol PaintingOl Painting
    @ol-painting

If you want to do it yourself – allow a bit more for materials. I would say 1K will be safe (you will most likely get it chipper, but better to be safe, as something will most certainly go wrong in other place)

If you want to use professional painting cost in your negotiation – the general guide is:

• Walls and ceilings – allow $300 plus GST per room or area. For ex. 3 bedroom, bathroom, laundry, corridor, lounge, kitchen – totals 8 room x $300 each is about $2,400 plus GST. Some room are smaller and some are bigger. But they will balance each other.
    • Doors and door frames – $120 each plus GST
    • Windows – $80 each plus GST
    • If you have extra preparations – like repair water damage, cracks – allow up o 10% extra.

Profile photo of danmichwilliamsdanmichwilliams
    @danmichwilliams

Real floor boards are $80 a square meter completed on timber .
    $120 a Sq M on concrete

Profile photo of marg4000marg4000
    @marg4000

Check with your body corporate to ensure that floor boards are allowed.

Some buildings won't allow them because of noise issues, particularly if you are on a higher floor with another apartment directly below.
    Marg

Profile photo of danmichwilliamsdanmichwilliams
    @danmichwilliams

Forgot to add that if you go for flooting floor board {laminated] then make sure you get them coated,they will still look good in 10 years time
    Cheers

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Salil, good luck with the reno. It may be worthwhile checking with your accountant  that floorboards/laminate can be depreciated the same as carpet. We did a similar reno last year and spent 5k. Came up great and the new darkish rental grade carpet looks fine. See ya.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.