All Topics / General Property / House Building Materials

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

Whether a house is built from timber or brick, are the materials all basically the same, or does type vary? Specifically, do some builders use cheap materials to lower the cost of construction? I guess it's possible two new houses could pass building inspections, even though one has much better quality materials. Is this sort of thing highlighted in a standard building inspection, i.e. overall quality of materials and workmanship?

Profile photo of Happy HomesHappy Homes
    @happy-homes

There are MANY reasons that materials, as much as labour, would vary. There purpose (eg: is its purpose for fire rating/ bracing/ energy/etc etc), the LOOK (all clients like different visual appearances), the availability (you may want stone but it is only avail at twice the price elsewhere avaiialbe)……..the list goes on and on.

And yes, of course a builder will build as cheaply as possible, with materials that will still allow the construction to pass inspections! That seems kind of logical to me! A builder is in business after all, and thats one way they make a dollar.

It doesnt mean it will reduce quality (neccessarily, but it can), it just means builder is trying to find a way to make a buck. Just like the rest of us with what ever we do.

A good idea if you are questioning the ethics of what a builder is doing, is to go get some independant advice from a consultant that deals in estimating/ surveying/ legals……..what ever your issue is. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.