All Topics / General Property / WARNING ABOUT ANZ “LOSING” LARGE SUMS OF CLIENTS MONEY. BE WARNED!!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Happy HomesHappy Homes
    @happy-homes

I would like to warn you all about a situation I have JUST spent the last 2 full days trying to sort out with the ANZ bank,
    FRANKSTON BRANCH:

A new business account was set up at the Anz bank online,as I was short on time, and HATE bank queues, and so that it was ready for me to just go in and sign off.
    I rang ANZ customer help line few days later, it was confirmed the account was set up and all docs ready to sign.

Problem 1:
    I go in,  and cop a rude (1#@!?) of a girl, who, until I told her to "stop speaking to me like I am an idiot",  could not have been any ruder. It was as if I was intruding on her day, by making her work! Already I have a bitter taste in my mouth about this branch…..

Problem 2:
    "No, there is no account ready for you. I will have to do it all now…"  Incompetance? Did they lose my details??

Finally after that was all done AGAIN, I deposited a very large chq  that HAD to be cleared asap for a settlement due. So I paid the $15 for a SPECIAL CLEARANCE chq, that garauntees clearance within 24-48hrs. This would have made it 12noon Thurs at the latest, it should be cleared.

Now, bear in mind, the only way I could complete any transactions was in at the tellers, or I would have done it on the net, but it was a requirement to be bank cheques for solicitor by Fri 2pm at the latest…….

Problem 3:
    Thurs 11am I tried to call the FRANKSTON BRANCH to confirm if all was cleared yet, and could I come in to get bank chqs yet?
    Call  is immediately diverted to their answering machine.
    As were the next TEN or more calls I made all day,   up until LATE AFTERNOON that I CLEARLY left my MOBILE ONLY contact details on!

NOT ONE call was answered by a real person all day,  ALL were diverted to an answering machine (great "customer service!) nor were any of mine responded to, until 3.30 PM, (FOUR HOURS LATER!!) which was made to my HOME number,  (I now think on purpose to avoid speaking to me) even though every message I clearly stated ONLY call my mb.

BUT the real problem was, they said the chq wasnt cleared yet!   And tried to blame where the chq came from (Westpac),
      but Westpac had contacted them early AM to say it was cleared…………and me…………… and third party involved.  So it clearly wasnt Westpac.

Anyway, I had to go out at 3pm( which is why all my voice messages I had asked to be called on my mb only),
    so didnt get the call, and even if I did, Thurs was now out the question. So……..

Problem 4:
    Fri AM:
    I am LIVID  …..still no response to confirm now OVERDUE clearance. Not even a courtesy call to say "sorry, we are looking into it."  Nothing. Zip.

Then I get an amazing call…. of which to protect all involved I will not mention who….but a THIRD PARTY (external to bank) calls to inform me THEY had been contacted by bank and certain PRIVATE details had been divulged to them BY THE ANZ BANK!! THIS IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL!! It breaches the PRIVACY ACT, of which I am now considering taking legal action against them for.

Now I am beyond irrate…………………….

Banks chqs are now due in for settlement in aprox 2 hours….

I ring ANZ and check net. BOTH state funds are clear and avail. I proceed to bank, armed with a tape recorder as I wanted an apology on tape, plus having a law background and know how things can get ugly when it becomes "he said/she said" without firm evidence.
    And I hate to burst anyones bubble, but if BOTH parties agree to being taped, it is very legal.   Why else do you think you hear on all govt and financial numbers when you call, the recorded message "this conversation will be recorded……."??

It is a fantastic tactic that I recommend anyone about to be exposed to a potentially "hairy" situation to use.
    It's amazing how people suddenly become compliant or shut down (which is enough to diffuse a situation) when there is the risk of there words being legally used against them in court.

I have used it in many ugly situations, such as where a tenant was refusing to pay overdue rent blaming someone else. So I asked him to put it on tape so I can go confirm if it was true…..and then got my rent no worries! (Cos he was lying)

I have also used it to tape an illegal motorbike rider on a neighbours property that was saying his "neighbour gave hime permission", so I said, "Ok, lets take this on tape around to him shall we…." He was gone in 10mins……….

I've also used it to get the admittance of someone who rear-ended my car, on the spot. So there was no chance of it being questioned in court…………..

it's great for "round table meetings" (family/work/etc) to get your point accross without fear of it later being "twisted" (eg: "you never said that!….." "no, this is what you said…….") around. Why else do you think cops and other "legal" (some are not-so-legal, I can assure you) people use this tactic??

And the approach you use is :" This conversation is now about to be taped and turn it on BEFORE they speak ( DO NOT ASK them, you TELL THEM it is about to be taped, cos if you ASK,then of course they will say no!)… and can be used against you in a court of law" and switch on the tape, ask their permission so they either agree or disagree,confirm who they are,time,date,etc…….get all the LEGALLY required details. If they disagree, turn it off. But then you know you are up against someone that has something to hide…..Then pull out tactic (B) Eg: Leave, get solicitor,etc…Works like a gem.

Anyway…really off track there…
    So, I ask to speak to the manager, tell her convo will be taped. She wont allow it (so obviously has something to hide, or else wouldn't give a toss, just as I dont when I call them and get taped)
    She then proceeds to tell me the funds STILL aren't cleared,and cannot issue bank chqs as a result, but doesn't know why, doesn't care why, and doesn't try to find out.

She just tries to blame Westpac, even though net account and ANZ customer line clearly stated funds are cleared, plus it funds have shown in my account cleared from Westpac. It makes no sense what so ever. Except that there is an internal blunder that they are trying to cover up.

They are EXTREMELY unhelpful and do not want to help at all. Telling ME to go and sort it out at Westpac!! Even though its clearly a fault at their branch!! They tried everything they could to fob me off to not have to deal with it. But, unfortunatley for them, they picked the wrong target !

I demand a written explaination, dated, signed and a time THE MANAGER claims she last checked my account to see if funds were cleared.(which I doubt she even checked) It's the best evidence of incompetance I have ever read! Clearly stating "We do not know why funds are not available….." Signed and dated. Great for proof in court.

I refuse to leave bank, demanding answers that they refuse to give. They do not offer assistance to help in any way, stating it must be a fault "at my end", even though I rang right in front of the (1@#!??) THEIR OWN bank service line that says its cleared. Right in front of her!!

They try and shove me off to a "quiet room" (where I can't let incoming customers know what they have done).I refuse to move until it's sorted out and I have an explanation as to why they wont give me access to my money.

Male staff then tries to steal my account details out of my hand and tries to hide it!! I couldnt believe it!!    ……………….it's on video, and I will be demanding it gets reviewed. Same male refuses to give his name.
    Gee, I wonder why….

Anyway……..scene gets ugly………cops get called in to remove me.  But of course can't charge me as I've done nothing wrong.
    Also the cops "service" was pathetic too, with one female cop snidleing laughing at the situation, rather than
    trying to help.

Now I have to ring solicitors to explain change of settlement delay………..third parties involved……..Ombudsman…………..etc etc
    By 3pm I am exhausted. Plus it was about a 30degree day. Not good.

I go to have a drink across the road…………gee……funny that only half an hour later the same (!?@##?!!) manager politely rings me (finally on my mobile, so I then realise she DID have my mb number all along),
    tail between her legs and says "Your funds are now clear"

So of course I withdrew all funds and closed account!

Later that night I was told by someone else, ANZ had also had THEIR funds (another large amount) "vanish/stolen" for no reason. Could you imagine the repercussions if the shoe was on the other foot???

It appears it may be an ongoing problem then? So I just want to warn everyone of the incompetance and illegal activities this bank is up to, to prepare you if you are ever silly enought to deal with them. I sure as hell never will again. Pack of right rude,unprofessional and incompetant BAFOONS.  I am now in discussion with Ombudsman and solicitor about taking legal action.

This whole scenario cost me 2 days of my time  , numerous long expensive mobile calls, possible solicitors and change of settlement costs, loss of reputation from the property vendor that may now in future doubt my abilities, also affecting future business with him………….and the list goes on.

Luckily I can stand up for myself and know the law. I pity the poor folk that dont. Such is a story recently on current affairs, where an elderly couple had placed funds in an account, the account statement clearly showed funds in there (like mine), but when they went to withdraw money for the poor lady's operation were told "insufficient funds"! I wonder if that was ANZ?? Anyone know??

I  also wonder if others have horror bank stories to share? It may to help warn others. My advice is just BE PREPARED to stand up for your rights, and KNOW THEM!    Share this story around to all your friends to warn them.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don't think requesting a special clearance guarantees the funds will be cleared in 48 hrs. I have been caught out a few times as well with various banks. But I don't know why it would take so long for cheques to clear.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

Everybody's fallible. And in fairness, they didn't "lose" your money; they just didn't clear your cheque as quickly as you wanted. I've had experiences as bad or worse (in terms of the bank's performance) at just about every bank and branch I've ever dealt with. It's not good, but life's full of disappointments.

Perhaps an anger management course would be helpful? Seriously, I'm concerned that you'll have a stroke if you get so stressed about stuff like this!

Profile photo of CDCD
    Participant
    @cd

Well I bet you feel better having got that off your chest

My mortgage broker refuses point blank to deal with one of the major banks because he says their incompetence is not worth the commission. He refuses to give any juicy details but I'm sure he has a story or two like yours!

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

I can guarantee you that people like you are an absolute nightmare to bank/branch staff – probably why you find a lot of them have to 'harden themelves' – often coming across as rude. That said, ther is no excuse for poor service.
    For what it is worth, bank '13' numbers generally cannot do 'the whole thing' from go to whoa – you need a business or personal banker for that – they would have to finish or sign off on it anyway.
    If a stroker with a legal background came into me ranting and raving (come to think of it, I thought for a minute I may have seen you but I am not ANZ, and not in Frankston) it would be the police restraining me. Wake up, get a life, and try being polite. IF there is GENUINE cause for complaint, and you cannot get it rectified to you liking, leave the bank instead of whinging.

Simple as that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.