All Topics / General Property / James Hardie Cladding Anyone ??

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Luke.SLuke.S
    @luke.s

Hi Ya,

I have a little 1 bed cottage that i'm renting out and are interested in re-cladding it.

It has flat panel cladding on it which is looking a little tired.

I would like to give it the cute little 'weatherboard' look.

Has anyone used the James Hardie cladding products ?

There are 3 different 'weatherboard' claddings available in different thicknesses.

HardiPlank Weatherboard 7.5mm thick
    Primeline Weatherboard 9mm thick
    Scyon Linea Weatherboard 16mm thick

Anyone care to shed some light on this subject ?? please ?

The $$ cost sure goes up the thicker the panel. Is one better than the other for any different reasons ?

How easy/hard is it to work with ?

Cheers, Luke.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Your place sounds like it might be asbestos sheet – you may need a licenced contractor to remove the material (it can't just go to the tip) – the rules for who can undertake removal have recently changed in some states.

Hardies products have been around since Noah was a lad. Long lasting, will need painting. The type and style you go for is personal preference and depends upon whether or not it will be subject to damage (thicker panels are better if tenants play cricket against it) – note that the old flat sheets were probably 4-5 mm thick, so 7 mm is still more than 50% thicker than the original.

Profile photo of Luke.SLuke.S
    @luke.s

Hi,

I have replaced a couple of sheets a while ago which were damaged. Lucky they are not asbestos. I was thicking that they probably would be… They are just very old James Hardie sheet from many years ago.

(Lucky for us in the country areas that yes asbestos can go to the local tip no problem, we are even allowed to take it off ourself if we want to. It sure helps keeping those houses pos geared)

Anyone actually clad a house with those weatherboard panels ??

Luke.

Profile photo of bren the builderbren the builder
    Participant
    @bren-the-builder

Hi lukes,  if you're trying to keep the cost down stick to the hardi-plank its easy to put on and cheaper than primeline. You may be able to go straight over the flat sheets, just remove  any  timber strips on the joins and around windows and doors and just  put the new boards on. Just put the 1st board on using a level and away you go, have fun.
    cheers

Participant
    @bren-the-builder

Hi lukes,  if you're trying to keep the cost down stick to the hardi-plank its easy to put on and cheaper than primeline. You may be able to go straight over the flat sheets, just remove  any  timber strips on the joins and around windows and doors and just  put the new boards on. Just put the 1st board on using a level and away you go, have fun.
    cheers

Participant
    @bren-the-builder

Stupid thing! I'm better with a nail gun than the computer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.