All Topics / Value Adding / Re stumping, what does it entail

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MacnattMacnatt
    @macnatt

Hello I am looking at a potential property which needs some work before it can take tenants but may become CF+. Apparently it may need restumping does anyone have experience with this what does it entail and why would a house need restumping???

Thanks
    Natalie

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

the stumps may be timber & therefore have rotten… relatively easy to be restumped…

under house where floor has dropped, get some timber blocks under  jacks or acro props beside existing stumps & literally jack beam under floor up to desired level (maybe 1 or 2 mm above to allow for settlement). dig holes (size depends on whether single or 2 storey house). ask a local builder… place the new timber or concrete stumps in hole pushed up against beams of house then fill in holes with concrete… leave jack and/or prop where they are to hold weight of floor til concrete goes off fully… allow a couple of days at least..
    I would probably reccommend getting a professional in to do it as it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing for both you & your house… & cheaper in the long run…. especially in case you stuff up.

Profile photo of JONCHUJONCHU
    @jonchu

Hi Macnatt, mackar has described the process quite well. I would also follow his recommendation on getting a professional to do it. Bear in mind that “greedy” professionals would want to re-do all the stumps, however this may not be necessary. Get a couple of opinions/quotes.

Also sometimes, depending on the situation, you can get away by just capping, which is just filling the gap between the stump and the beam.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If possible, try to get a quote before you move ahead with a purchase so that you know how much it will set you back and how long it will take. Once the contracts are signed you can indicate when you want the job done (after transfer of property) to minimise your downtime.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Hi there – we recently restumped.

We got some cracking in plaster but all in all it was pretty painless and we used a fair bit of no more gaps around skirting boards and arc's.

One thought though, we had an add on laundry/toilet area that we didn't bother to get restumped and when the house was restumped the poor toilet bowl didn't fair to well. Although if we had of undo the screws to the floor on the pedestal it wouldn't have been a drama.

Hope that helps – Maree

Profile photo of jssmithjssmith
    @jssmith

Hey macnatt

I,m about to have some demo work completed on a development next week.The house is an old victorian and a bad extension was built some years back. I have to restump the original house once the old extension is gone.
    The cost by two different guys was around $6500 to complete the whole house

cheers
    Jason

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.