All Topics / Help Needed! / Demanding tenants is this normal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of lostielostie
    @lostie

Hello everyone,  can anyone please advise whether the following demands from tenants are fair and reasonable.  Bearly in the property just 3 days the new tenants are have provided my agent with a list of things that they want done.  

Fix shower head
    Oven door seems to have come off its hinges
    (these things were fine at time of inspection and were not on condition report as faulty)

Water proof garage. 
    (there has been no rain but they are afraid that the garage will flood as the garage is really a carport with a cement sheet wall on the fence side)

Install a cat door

Clean the gutters

Am I required to do these things?  i have asked the agent and she says she is not sure.  i'm not sure why I am paying her.

This is my first experience as a landlord and want to make every effort to be fair and reasonable and keep the tenants happy.  If some of you more experienced landlords can provide me with some advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

lostie

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don't think you are required to fix non-essential items, especially if they are not on the inspection report as being in bad condition. Some tenants are fussy – I would probably get rid of them asap as they may not be worth the hassle.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Shower head – what's wrong with it? Sydney Water has a $20 offer for a plumber to come and replace it with an efficient one (other providers may do the same)
    Oven door – probably comes off for cleaning eg Westinghouse/Chef
    Waterproof garage – if it stops rain, then it is waterproof. BCA does not require that a garage be waterproof. If they have said that they are to be using the area for storage then this may have a different outcome.
    Install a cat door – did they advise that they have a cat & a cat flap would be required? If not, it will be at their cost including replacement of the door when they leave.
    Clean the gutters – this may lead to flooding of the ceiling (get your agent to organise)

Tenant usually has 7 days to note any issues on the condition report.

By the sounds of it, your agent may be inexperienced, useless, unsure of the agent/owner relationship. Might have to select another agent if they are putting everything back on you already.

Profile photo of dreamingdreaming
    @dreaming

Hi Lostie,

• Shower head if there is a problem with it , get it fixed no question. Install a water efficient head while your at it.
    • Get your property manager to check oven door, if there is a problem fix asap.
    • Water proof garage? suggest to tenant you will put in a garden shed if you haven't got one for X amount extra per week.
    • Install cat door, obviously you have agreed to allow cats, work out a dollar figure that works for you and the tenants if you plan to keep allowing pets. I allow pets, by not allowing pets it reduces the pool of tenants, as long as it is managed well it's ok. Well I've had no problems so far.
    • The house should be clean and well maintained before your tenants moved in, including clean gutters. But once the gutters are clean it becomes the tenants responsibility to maintain the same condition.
    • Your property manager should handle these issues and advise you.

When it comes to maintenance issues don't ignore them keep on top of things and it's no biggie and your tenants will appreciate it. hopefully.

Profile photo of andymooseandymoose
    Participant
    @andymoose

Hi Lostie,

If this were my situation I would get another property manager!…For sure. I had a really good one (in Perth) a few years back…get one that will work for you. Usually someone who's been at it a while & more senior.

I would fix the shower & hinges at my own cost but before I would, Id check out what is exactly wrong with them (shouldn't be hard to ascertain weather its a blokage, worn higes etc) & shouldn't cost much at all. (this is where you PM has more than likely not been inspected thouroughly…like opening doors, turning taps on, etc etc…its the first thing I do…even if the house is new!!)

Cat door is a luxury item, so tell them you'll do it for an increase in rent! Gutters should be their responsibilty…they are the ones living there not you!!!
     The garage sounds as though it needs further investigation?? Is there a drain point nearby?…or a fall in the concrete to let the water run away?…these questions might be answered when it rains & you have a look…or put the garden hose on it & see where it goes?? 

You should have a good read of the tenants & landlords rights & conditions…think you can get it from the local councils..sorry, I just cant remember…You really need to know your rights AS WELL as theirs…

Lastly, dont muck around, get some good advice, a new PM…its your INVESTMENT remember.

Hope this provides a little help.

Andy

ps; if they prove too much trouble, give them notice to vacate & get new tenants…you never know, you may get someone willing to pay more!!.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Shower head and oven door; get the agent to check what is "wrong" with them first. Don't fix until this has been done.

The rest;

Garage; no. It was like that when they moved in.

Cat door is the tenant's choice – they pay.

Gutters; you pay.

it is a tight rental market right now. You won't have a prob finding a new one should you have to kick these already annoying pests out.

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

I'm with SNM and Marc; particularly I agree with SNM that the cat door has to be removed and the door returned to original condition when they move out.

Best wishes, Tracey in Brisbane

Profile photo of lostielostie
    @lostie

Thank you all,  I genuinely want to do the right thing for all concerned and achieve a positive outcome but it just seemed a little overwhelming just 3 days into the lease.  It is a very good property and well maintained.  I still dont understand about the garage.  It has not rained and cannot see any watermarks from previous downpoor.  I am going there tomorrow and have a look for myself.  Meanwhile I have arranged for the gutters to be cleaned and the oven door to be looked at.   No cat door.

Thanks again for all your advice.

lostie

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

mummy, Im scared! I agree with L.A.!

oven issue is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

I had a tenant request a new hot water system once, because the existing one kept going cold. A quick inspection of the shower head revealed that it was one of those big, never-had-water-restrictions type of shower head.

For about $30 I replaced it with a water saving head, and saved a LOT of money by not needing the hot water system. The tenants were great, and looked after a lot of minor things themselves after that.

Be responsive and fair. Treat tenants like people who are providing you an income stream – as long as that is what they are doing. If they are too difficult, find some others – it's a good market right now.

And get a decent PM.

Daedalus. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.