All Topics / Value Adding / To do or not to do?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of alastairmurrayalastairmurray
    Participant
    @alastairmurray

Hi All,

Just a quick query to all of you that renovate houses on a regular basis.

I have bought several properties in the past, quickly fixed them up and then resold them shortly after for a modest profit.

I have always included a spa bath as apposed to a standard bath and always erected a front fence. When I look around at new developments they quite often don't have a front fence and instead have basic landscaping. The savings in omitting these two items would be about $4,000.

All thoughts greatly appreciated

Alastair

Profile photo of pjrenopjreno
    @pjreno

Depends what market you are in or aiming at, think about your market and who will bebuying such a property? Are you renovating units or houses? 1 or 2 bathroom dwellings? If only 1 bathroom I would tend not to install a spa, particuarly if its at the expense of a conventional type shower. Just a few things to consider. Happy renovating,

Cheers,

Paul

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

I agree with Paul, that you should research your market. But I'd be willing to bet that >95% of the time neither of these items would be necessary (or even add as much value as they cost).

Regards, Tracey in Brisbane

Profile photo of alastairmurrayalastairmurray
    Participant
    @alastairmurray

Hi Paul& Tracy,

Thank you for your feedback

To date I have renovated houses in middle of the road areas  that have 3 bedrooms  and one bathroom and I have managed to fit both a shower and spa into the existing bathroom. I guess the key to this whole renovation for profit thing is all about keeping costs to a minimum. I would be interested to know what cost saving ideas you could share when you do your renos.

Best regards,

Alastair

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Alistair, the standard new house packages do not have spa or front fence. The designers say they design the house based on the preferences of the mum.

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

A spa with the current water restrictions? Maybe a water tank or solar hot water would add more selling features.
    I don't personally like front fences, I am not sure if it adds value, unless it improves the front facade, eg picket fence.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.