All Topics / Finance / line of credit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of gettingstartedgettingstarted
    @gettingstarted

Does anyone know which bank has the best Line of credit loan setup?
    I'm after the same setup i have read about being used in Margaret Lomas books on positive cashflow.
    Has anyone read these books? Can anyone help me out?
    Cheers Chris

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

St George has a good one which can be split into several sub-accounts and the individual balances adjusted to suit. You need to be careful with a LOC from a tax perspective. Not recommended for investments if you are going to be putting money in and out all thetime. Not sure what Lomas recommends though.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Matthew CentroneMatthew Centrone
    @matthew-centrone

Hi Chris,

Yeah I have read the book you were discussing, by Margaret Lomas and know what Line of Credit you are talking about.  There are actually a number of banks and lenders that have this type of facility available but there are always subtle differences in the products and it depends on your situation and where you want to invest, which will determine which lender to go for. Give me a call or drop me an email with some more details of your situation and I'm happy to go through the options with you.

Cheers

Matt Centrone

Investor Finance
    [email protected]
    Direct Line: (08) 81325913
    Mob: 0402 278 019

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I agree with Terry that SGB Portfolio loan is an excellent product for what you are after and suggest you drop Terry a line with any other questions.

I am sure he can establish this for you and is a long time contributor to the forum.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

I've read all Margaret's books (several times) and am a big fan, and a Destiny Finance Client. The organisation is pretty good.

I have the St.G Portfolio LOC loan, and up until now it has been fine. St. G also have a high rental assessment towards servicability which is good (80% from memory). Current interest rate is 7.92% for the product if you are a Gold Client.

You can split it into as many sub-accounts as you need to keep the accounting clear between personal and investment. Each sub-account will incure a monthly fee of $14, or you can pay a lump-sum fee per year, which is cheaper.

As per Margaret's view, which is very pragmatic, she advocates only having 2 sub-accounts: one for everyday personal use, and one for all investment, which you can lump all the properties into together. This will minimise the fees of course.

Her software program allows you to split the interest and allocate it to each property.

This will draw criticism from the anti cross-collateralising camp no doubt. I don't know that there is any real disadvantage or advantage doing it this way, other than the fees.

You can adjust the llimits up and down accordingly when you buy and/or sell a property, which makes the whole loan process easier, and just pay the loan stamp duty difference, or get credited it as the case may be.

The only problem is you will probably run out of servicability at some point, which we are experiencing now, but this was due to a land purchase that has no income.

So, it's time for us to switch banks; again. Pity.

Profile photo of Hybrid2007Hybrid2007
    @hybrid2007

since we are on the topic… What sort of things should one look out for with Line of credit products. what are the subtle differences?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Much the same as an interest only loan, except you don't have to draw down the total limit, and you only pay interest on the amount you actually use.

Most LOC's can be didvided into a number of sub-accounts for easier accounting between the personal use and the investment.

They are usually very flexible in that you can make unlimited draw downs; some have a minimum limit amount that you have to draw down.

You can pay off the principal in any amount and at any time.

Generally, the rate can't be locked, but I've heard that some lenders will allow you to do that now, except you can only lock in the amount you've already used, you can't make extra repayments on that locked amount.

You basically only keep the LOC on the amount left that you haven't used in your limit yet. Not much value unless you still have a lot of unused funds in the account.

Participant
    @qlds007

Marc

Generally, the rate can't be locked, but I've heard that some lenders will allow you to do that now, except you can only lock in the amount you've already used, you can't make extra repayments on that locked amount. – This is not the case. There are a couple of products whereby you can make upto 10K per annum capital reduction even under the fixed rate LOC.

Profile photo of RobLRobL
    @robl

Richard is right ..

There are a few that allow up to 20K – but only during the lock period … I see NAB also have a similar LOC portfolio arrangement that, apparently, allows a full offset (which seemed odd in an LOC – to me at least – anyone else know anything about that one?)

and Marc … would be interested in hearing about how or what one does to become a gold client .. 7.92 doesn't seem too bad .. I'm about 6 months away from review methinks ..

Rob

Profile photo of frosty1frosty1
    @frosty1

hi,

would a morgage off set account be a better set up than a LOC?
    i guess they have different purposes.

is an  off set account only good if you have the extra funds available?
    your income still goes into it just the same as an LOC, and reduces the amount of interest paid and causes no tax problems with money coming in or out for personal use or whatever.

will a LOC help pay down a morgage any quicker than an off set acount?

any comments,

thanks,
    frosty1

Participant
    @qlds007

Frosty

It is a horses for courses decision.

I prefer the offset option but there are other reasons for that and would need more information to advise you properly.

Profile photo of mixedupmixedup
    Participant
    @mixedup

can a LOC give you the same 100% offset (against investment loans) type benefit?   In particular if you're using the LOC for personal and investment usage how can you ensure that if you put your pay into the account that offset benefit goes 100% to your investment properties?

Participant
    @qlds007

You would only use a LOC with a separate sub account for each purpose.

However as been mentioned before an offset account allievates all of the potential issues before they happen. 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.