All Topics / Help Needed! / Bowen Basin QLD Mining Towns – Opinion on offer

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 410 total)
  • Profile photo of TimwTimw
    @timw

G'Day everyone
    The forum makes interesting reading, I am in the process of purchasing a property in dysart and all that i have read and reasearched on the area seems to suggest that Dysart is the place to buy. Daedalus, if you recommend a bu ilding and pest inspector that i could use who knows the area it would be very helpful.
    I have heard in Dysart it is possible to subdivide a block of land that is greater than 800sqm if the sewer does not go through the middle of the block, can anyone confirm

Regards
    Tim

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

Hi Tim,

Just got back from Dysart, and it seems as bouyant as ever. Existing mines are augmenting, and there's a new mine going in to the east of the town.

I can't confirm about the subdivision rules, but can recommend Paul Ingledew (Mackay 07 4954 8535, 0419 712 277) for building inspect. I've used him twice and he does a thorough job. He teams up with Ian Chataway of Deadstop Pest Control (Mackay 07 4954 7555, 0407 759 791). They'll share a car out to Dysart to keep travel costs down.

Good luck with it,
    Deadalus.

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

Deadalus the weather should have been lovely.
    Did you see the development on the left side as entering the town?
    Tthe new Lake Vermont mine is just kicking off now , well the construction by Thiess.
    The new substation should be live by now as when I left the test guys were arriving
    As stated there are two more mines starting up in the next 1-2yrs but accomodation is the issue.
    Middlemount are constructing a Mac Camp now as we tried to book in but nothing was set up.

Tim or Deadalus if your looking for any sales details of such areas let me know, if no response try me at http://www.reao.com.au
    as I tend to drop in there time to time more then here.

@daedalus
    BuilderBob wrote:
    Deadalus the weather should have been lovely.
    Did you see the development on the left side as entering the town?

The weather was lovely one day, perfect the next

Do you mean on the east side of town (I came in from the west) – yes I saw that camp going in. Weekend accomodation isn't so difficult. I stayed at the Country Inn, only booked in about 2 weeks ago. The manager said weekdays are the problem.

Thiess is my tenant in Dysart (or an employee thereof). Looks like I might be able to negotiate a good increase at the next lease renewal…

There were a couple of places for sale by vendor in Dysart, which I thought was interesting. Not sure what that's all about, unless they are just sick of the local REA quality.

Daedalus.

Profile photo of PepsimaxPepsimax
    @pepsimax

HI Everyone,
    Can anyone tell me a bit about Blackwater?
    We bought a property there 18 months ago,
    it's going quite well, but we haven't been up there to visit it yet.
    Thanks
    Jude

Participant
    @builderbob

As your are coming down the Golden mile into Town just past the concrete plant on left there is a big land development going on.
    The site is fully fenced with temp fencing sheeted with a new colorbond fence running full length down one side.

As for the FSBO I'm told agents are not willing to visit and the vendor is doing all the work for the agent anyway and still being slugged big fees. So I'd say why bother paying agent when you are doing all the work…that would be stupid..lol

" Thiess is my tenant in Dysart (or an employee thereof). Looks like I might be able to negotiate a good increase at the next lease renewal…"

YES  INCREASE THE RENT..LOL!  Thiess are desperate for accomodation and they would not dare put their  "High ranked staff " in the Mac camp.
    They informed me they had 250 men starting and had 6 rooms to share..lol
    I'm guessing you have Clint the forman of earth works staying there?  If so tell him he still owes my men some cartons of beer for finding his stolen generator down the beef road! Oh yeh and he still owes for all those bags of cement he claimed he would re-pay back to our shipping container.

Sorry not much help for you in Blackwater, I helped construct the South Blackwater mine some years ago but have lost touch with the area. I have two good pals working out there but they lack interest/knowledge in this area.

Profile photo of beamseekerbeamseeker
    Participant
    @beamseeker

Gday,
    This is my virgin visit to the forum…your a wealth of knowledge!
    Have been researching a property( havent visited yet) in Nebo (4 br, 1 bath house with 3 car shed ) area as entry prices are a bit lower than Dysart which you seem to give the great wrap on. What realistic rent should I be looking for on that one you reckon?
    How sure is the rumour of  Nebos 'island' town possibilties (when approx?) and how much affect do you think it would have on yields and growth, for the potential of people living in the town, could it be a negative?
    Also have you heard talk of a mine opening very near to town?Thanx+Cheers!

@daedalus
    beamseeker wrote:

Gday,
    This is my virgin visit to the forum…your a wealth of knowledge!
    Have been researching a property( havent visited yet) in Nebo (4 br, 1 bath house with 3 car shed ) area as entry prices are a bit lower than Dysart which you seem to give the great wrap on. What realistic rent should I be looking for on that one you reckon?
    How sure is the rumour of  Nebos 'island' town possibilties (when approx?) and how much affect do you think it would have on yields and growth, for the potential of people living in the town, could it be a negative?
    Also have you heard talk of a mine opening very near to town?Thanx+Cheers!

Welcome beamseeker,

Nebo is not a place that I would invest right now. I investigated some properties for sale there in January. My guess is that they are the very same properties that you are now looking at. I drove by them on Sunday; they are still for sale, and they are still empty.

Nebo is close enough to the coast that it is feasible to live in/near Mackay and commute to Nebo to work. There is a bit of big industry setup/setting up, and yes there are a number of mines nearby, but Nebo has few indications of flow on prosperity.

The pub is nice though.

Daedalus.

@daedalus
    BuilderBob wrote:

YES  INCREASE THE RENT..LOL!  Thiess are desperate for accomodation and they would not dare put their  "High ranked staff " in the Mac camp.
    They informed me they had 250 men starting and had 6 rooms to share..lol
    I'm guessing you have Clint the forman of earth works staying there?  If so tell him he still owes my men some cartons of beer…

Love your work, thanks! Nope, I've got a lady from the admin section.

Daedalus.

Participant
    @builderbob

beamseeker, the prices in Nebo sky rocketed about 3yrs ago and from what I noticed nothing is really selling.
    My best mate moved out to Nebo and works in one of the mines and and has been trying to sell his property for the last 2yrs but I'm told nothing is moving. Plus he wants far to much..lol
    From my understand a large number of houses were built in the area originally as some sort of a deal with mines and council to help the place improve and draw others to the area. I know some of these houses are only lived in for 3 nights per week as they return back to Mackay.

As Daedalus said Nebo is to close to Mackay and I feel it's not viable, look more towards Dysart and Moranbah

Profile photo of MAK77MAK77
    @mak77

Can you tell me what is  the main difference between Dyasart and Moranbah. I haven't been to the area but have noticed there are hardly any properties for sale in Dysart compared to Morandah that has a large variety at the moment. To me they sound like very similar towns and Moranbah is closer to the Coast.

@daedalus

Moranbah is a much bigger town, around 11000 people I think. Dysart would be under 4000.

Moranbah is not as central, but yes, closer to the coast (a little). It is between 2 pretty large mines.

Dysart is further from the highway, but centrally located amongst a larger number of mines and smaller mining towns. It not only provides accomodation for the mines and works around Dysart, but also overflow accomodation for the mines and works around the nearby towns, in particular, Middlemount.

Daedalus.

Profile photo of Mcubed82Mcubed82
    @mcubed82

DAEDALUS
    I from Middlemout, well originally. I live in Brisbane now and work in the mines west of Townsville. However, I have family there that still work in the mines. I grew up there and left when I was 13, I am 25 now. The town has definatly grown. I believe it is Laurie Daly that has a development on the corner there (heading into town , near the pool). I guess, the house prices in this town are all relative to the industry and current market for that area. Years ago it would have been crazy that a house would be 300-500k in a small mining town! I know that there are alot of CFP properties in Moranbah. would be good to get something there! I guess with everything though, in time the mining boom wil pity out. IN saying that though, I do know that there is at least another 15 years+ mining of coal in mines near Middlemount,, so ppl are always are going to be wanting to live somewhere.

Ps check out my article in Australian Property Investor – May edition – young guns
    cheers

Mel

@daedalus

Hi Mel,

Congratulations on your article, by concidence it was on the table next to me when I read your post. You are off to a great start!

The Middlemount development is being built by Dale Shearer, although I don't know how it's going. It was in very early stages when I saw it in January.

You would be in a great position to understand the mining industry.

All the best,

Daedalus

Profile photo of MAK77MAK77
    @mak77

Daedalus,

Thanks for the info, it has given me a better understanding of the ups and downs to investing up their.

Do you get much reward for renovating up there or only to extend (extra rooms).

MAK

@daedalus

Hi MAK,

It's hard to tell, because it's a small market. However, from discussions with REAs up there, tenants will prefer properties with better facilities. In particular, entertaining areas/decks etc seem to be popular. So this would give you an edge in attracting tenants and higher rents. This would have to be an advantage, although you'd need to work out the return on investment to make sure.
    There does not seem to be a big market for the quick reno and re-sell, as there's simply not a big market.
    I think aircon, a good kitchen, bathroom and deck would be a winning combination in these areas.

Daedalus.

Participant
    @builderbob

12-month price performance source REIQ

Moranbah median price up 12.5%.
    Dysart median price up 17%.

Participant
    @builderbob

The Bowen Basin is already looking forward to 55 new coal mining projects, with 33 of those in the Mackay district. Only three of those are expansions: Kestrel, Carborough Downs and Isaac Plains. Some are still waiting on government approval.

Read details here:
    Mackay – Bowen Basin 2nd Boom

Profile photo of GlenNessGlenNess
    @glenness

Thanks for the info everyone. Great information for someone looking to getting into the market. Cheers.

Profile photo of chantelleilustrechantelleilustre
    Participant
    @chantelleilustre

DAEDALUS
    Hi Daedalus and Builder Bob,

This is off the topic of property but I'm just wondering do you have any contacts with builders or bricklayers in any of the areas you have spoken about? My partner is interested in moving up north for awhile to work. He has 7 years experience in bricklaying/blocklaying in residential and commercial developments.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.