All Topics / Help Needed! / Bowen Basin QLD Mining Towns – Opinion on offer

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 410 total)
  • Profile photo of max147max147
    @max147

Good Tradespeople in Dysart?
    Can anyone recommend the following tradespeople for work on IP in Dysart:
    – builder
    – tiler
    – electrician
    – floor sander
    – carpet layer
    – painter  

I have used an electrical company & a builder both based in Dysart & I am not impressed.
    Thanks & regards Max.  

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies
    max147 wrote:
    Good Tradespeople in Dysart?
    Can anyone recommend the following tradespeople for work on IP in Dysart:
    – builder
    – tiler
    – electrician
    – floor sander
    – carpet layer
    – painter  

I have used an electrical company & a builder both based in Dysart & I am not impressed.
    Thanks & regards Max.  

Hi Max – I know a builder (that I have used) based in Moranbah that will travel to Dysart – Private Message me and I will send you his info – I have a friend who recommended a Dysart based builder (have not used him yet) but happy to send you his details also

Profile photo of elvisfanelvisfan
    @elvisfan

Hi guys, like the other person I’m trying to read through all the posts on my I phone!
    So I’ll just ask a simple question.
    Are these Dysart etc communities part of the Bowen basin?
    I have come across an opportunity I think in Bowen itself.
    With the large mining companies setting up there, is it wise to invest in Bowen itself?
    Sorry, I’ve only just started researching and finding it confusing to know if all these places that are mentioned here are part of Bowen?
    Or is Bowen on it’s own as an area.

This forum is very informative by the way. I’m learning so much in my first hour of research.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton
    elvisfan wrote:
    Hi guys, like the other person I’m trying to read through all the posts on my I phone!
    So I’ll just ask a simple question.
    Are these Dysart etc communities part of the Bowen basin?
    I have come across an opportunity I think in Bowen itself.
    With the large mining companies setting up there, is it wise to invest in Bowen itself?
    Sorry, I’ve only just started researching and finding it confusing to know if all these places that are mentioned here are part of Bowen?
    Or is Bowen on it’s own as an area.

This forum is very informative by the way. I’m learning so much in my first hour of research.

Hi Elvisfan,

Bowen is a town 100km approx north of Mackay, this is where a some of the new port action. its had a lot of false starts so to speak. There is a LOT of vacant land in Bowen that people just cant sell. I would be surprised if there are good solid long term opportunities there.

The Bowen Basin is completely different. It starts south west of Mackay and runs down to Emerald, Central QLD. This is where the majority of Coal mining action is.

Bowen and the Bowen Basin are very separate places and very different property markets.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123
    Profile photo of elvisfanelvisfan
    @elvisfan

Thanks a lot. I’ve now got my bearings.

Due to the article also posted above. What’s wrong with Bowen as a place to start to create interest for housing?
    Especially if things are earmarked for what’s in the article.

Has Bowen not got much in the town? Seeing as theres all this available cheap land would it not in the near future have expedient growth due to the expansions going on?

What’s you’re opinion on why Bowen can’t quite make it.
    I’ve never been up that way, so I have no idea.

Cheers.

@josh-atherton
    elvisfan wrote:
    Thanks a lot. I’ve now got my bearings.

Due to the article also posted above. What’s wrong with Bowen as a place to start to create interest for housing?
    Especially if things are earmarked for what’s in the article.

Has Bowen not got much in the town? Seeing as theres all this available cheap land would it not in the near future have expedient growth due to the expansions going on?

What’s you’re opinion on why Bowen can’t quite make it.
    I’ve never been up that way, so I have no idea.

Cheers.

I am in no way against Bowen as an investment overall. however even the title of the article is “Bowen again…”. As I said it has had a lot of false starts. It is not the only area that will benefit from the mining boom currently under-way. If it is your first property, or even your second, wouldn’t you want more solid capital growth. I would be looking at regions that provide longevity and dont show signs of weakness as bowen has. There are towns where there is practically no land and has been in short supply for years, Bowen is still the opposite of this. If you buy there today, you may be waiting a couple of years for some decent growth to draw on equity and expand.

It is also a good idea to assess the construction workforces V operational workforces of projects if you are buying to hold for the longer term

Profile photo of shoooshooshoooshoo
    @shoooshoo

hey guys

i’m considering buying this unit in Dysart, i have heard that this unit, or maybe something like it, was going for cheaper in the local newspaper.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-dysart-107626389

@josh-atherton
    shoooshoo wrote:
    hey guys

i’m considering buying this unit in Dysart, i have heard that this unit, or maybe something like it, was going for cheaper in the local newspaper.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-dysart-107626389

hi Shooshoo,

why won’t they be ready for a year and bit? if you put your deposit down, you can’t access any potential equity to buy another property until they are built correct?

Profile photo of Prattman77Prattman77
    @prattman77

Hey guys,
    Interesting.  There are a set of identical units just being finished near the local shops.  I bought one off the plan.  The downside (don't laugh too much) is they are now TWO YEARS past their original completion date.  They were due for completion late 2009.  The builder went bust not long ago, and the construction was taken over by another mob just this month.  The only upside is that I paid (deposit on) $374k, and the already signed lease is for $1000/wk.

Dysart is still going gangbusters, but buy one of these with a huge grain of salt about the completion date.  Huge.

@shoooshoo
    Prattman77 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Interesting.  There are a set of identical units just being finished near the local shops.  I bought one off the plan.  The downside (don't laugh too much) is they are now TWO YEARS past their original completion date.  They were due for completion late 2009.  The builder went bust not long ago, and the construction was taken over by another mob just this month.  The only upside is that I paid (deposit on) $374k, and the already signed lease is for $1000/wk.

Dysart is still going gangbusters, but buy one of these with a huge grain of salt about the completion date.  Huge.

wow wow wow..what’s going here, you telling you have been waiting more than two years for these to finish? are you sure these are the same ones? i can send you the detailed plans and everthing to confirm. the agent Carla, from “properfy4profit.com.au” told me that settlement is due this time next year.

Profile photo of Prattman77Prattman77
    @prattman77

Carla may well be right, I am just going on what we have 'enjoyed'.  Monthly updates of 'just one more month, due to (insert lame reason here)'.  I recognised the pictures of the plan on her website as the same as the ones we bought.  The two developments appear to be back-to-back on to Queen Elizabeth Drive bordering the shops I mentioned.  Send the plans if you wish, and I can send you some pics of the building site, due for completion… next month. :-)

@shoooshoo
    Prattman77 wrote:
    Carla may well be right, I am just going on what we have 'enjoyed'.  Monthly updates of 'just one more month, due to (insert lame reason here)'.  I recognised the pictures of the plan on her website as the same as the ones we bought.  The two developments appear to be back-to-back on to Queen Elizabeth Drive bordering the shops I mentioned.  Send the plans if you wish, and I can send you some pics of the building site, due for completion… next month. :-)

i have sent you a PM with my email. how is it that you got a lease for 2 years, before it even finishes?

@josh-atherton

you can throw any verbal completion dates down the drain and look at the contract of sale for an off the plan project. this will tell you when the project must be completed by, and if not you have the right to terminate. developers need pre-sales to start in most cases, this,along with raising funds as well as everyone getting there act together can take time. a lot of time!

I would suggest something more “immediate” that capital gains can be realized sooner especially when investing in mining regions. this will help you grow your portfolio more quickly as having commited to buy to an off the plan project will reduce your borrowing capacity until it is completed. unless you have full knowledge and confidence in the builder/developer. I would be asking for a project timeline and the builders AND Developers track record. then doing appropriate searches for previous projects they are claiming to be done. this can include RPDATA searches showing when a block was purchased through to final sales. also find out what agents sold their last developments and talk to them to get their opinion on there past experience with the developer.

Profile photo of JaSin66JaSin66
    @jasin66

With Subway in Blackwater & now Macca's being built that's gotta be a good thing right!

@shoooshoo

yeah i hope so.  also is that your Lambo?

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar
    @jasin66
    shoooshoo wrote:

Not that lucky to throw away$200k on a Lambo yet, she's just a dream car…

@jasin66
    JaSin66 wrote:
    shoooshoo wrote:

Not that lucky to throw away$200k on a Lambo yet, she's just a dream car…

Thank you Coalstar, I had me a looksee.

Profile photo of camnlisacamnlisa
    Participant
    @camnlisa
    shoooshoo wrote:
    Prattman77 wrote:

i have sent you a PM with my email. how is it that you got a lease for 2 years, before it even finishes?

Shoooshoo, these units that you are looking at are different to the ones into which Prattman77 bought.  We have 2 shopping centres in town, one is Jacaranda Court around which have been built the units that Prattman77 bought and the other shopping centre is Garden Plaza Shopping Centre where your units of interest are going to be built.  These shopping centres are approx 500m apart so certainly not back-to-back and are definitely owned by different people.  The "Jacaranda Court" units had some delays with council as certain DA conditions weren't followed and they were also delayed a good 4-5 months with our wet season which came early and lasted a long time this year.  The "Garden Plaza Shopping Centre" units, I believe, will be pushed along a little faster, particularly by council, as my understanding of the DA is that they can build a first stage of units, they then have to do a cosmetic reno of the shopping centre, they can then build a second stage of units and then have to do a major reno and expansion of the centre – which is where the $40mil mentioned in Carla's ad comes into it.  The whole of the town, council and BMA included, is screaming out for this shopping centre to be reno'd/upgraded so the owners will be feeling some pressure to expedite building.

I have lived in Dysart for over 30 years and therefore have ridden many highs and lows and one thing I can say is that yes, the mining industry is cyclical, as all markets are, but every time we have come from a low to a high, that high is greater than the previous one and with each high comes the need for additional housing.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Cheers

Lisa

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.