All Topics / Help Needed! / Bowen Basin QLD Mining Towns – Opinion on offer

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 410 total)
  • Profile photo of jamesw82jamesw82
    @jamesw82

Looking at buying my second investment property, my first being on the gold Coast. I am looking at getting my second one in Dysart, have i missed the boat or is it still a recommendation. I hear they are looking at signing a big contract for fly in fly out workers, will this affect the rental properties there.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton
    jamesw82 wrote:

Looking at buying my second investment property, my first being on the gold Coast. I am looking at getting my second one in Dysart, have i missed the boat or is it still a recommendation. I hear they are looking at signing a big contract for fly in fly out workers, will this affect the rental properties there.

Hi James,

this argument is still continuing so who knows the outcome. I look for areas in regional Qld that are more sustainable, still positively geared (just not as crazy as Dysart and Moranbah). However they are a lot more secure ans capital growth is as good as all the other areas.

If they do sign a contract like this it will affect rental prices and more so capital growth as many people wouldn’t want to invest in an area that is so highly regulated by the companies around it.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

Sell Gold Coast and buy 2 in Dysart.

@josh-atherton
    mattnz wrote:

Even though the Gold Coast airport is only months away from signing a contract to have flights to all the mining centres for fly in fly out workers?

Why buy two in Dysart Matt?

Profile photo of jamesw82jamesw82
    @jamesw82

na ill keep the coast one for a bit longer, its doing alright. So josh u prefer emerald more so then Dysart? A safer bet maybe. Im looking for a rental yield of around 7% not getting to fussy haha. Im very new to this game, i just want early retirement,am currently living and working in Mt Isa and am very over it and want to get back to the coast haha. Real estate is my get out card.

@josh-atherton
    jamesw82 wrote:
    na ill keep the coast one for a bit longer, its doing alright. So josh u prefer emerald more so then Dysart? A safer bet maybe. Im looking for a rental yield of around 7% not getting to fussy haha. Im very new to this game, i just want early retirement,am currently living and working in Mt Isa and am very over it and want to get back to the coast haha. Real estate is my get out card.

James, Yes i have a lot of properties there and my company gets bulk deals with local builders and developers (although no land available right now for the public) which we then sell to our clients. If you’re interested in my research/experience in the area and what I have for investors there PM me.

No stress but thought I would put the offer there for you. Emerald services a lot of the CQ mining industries and will also benefit from Galillee basin developments int he coming years. Harvey Norman is opening up there, Bunnings looking for a site still. Woolworths building a $120m shopping complex with a 2hectare big W in it! It is further becoming the regional hub of the Central Highlands and will boom in my opinion.

Cheers

@jamesw82
    Portfolio PI wrote:
    jamesw82 wrote:

James, Yes i have a lot of properties there and my company gets bulk deals with local builders and developers (although no land available right now for the public) which we then sell to our clients. If you're interested in my research/experience in the area and what I have for investors there PM me. No stress but thought I would put the offer there for you. Emerald services a lot of the CQ mining industries and will also benefit from Galillee basin developments int he coming years. Harvey Norman is opening up there, Bunnings looking for a site still. Woolworths building a $120m shopping complex with a 2hectare big W in it! It is further becoming the regional hub of the Central Highlands and will boom in my opinion. Cheers

Thanks mate you will be hearing from me thats for sure haha. Cheers

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz
    jamesw82 wrote:

Ok, seems Dysart is not for you then, rental yields are currently 14%, rather than your intended 7%.

There are only 2 markets in Australia that I would currently recommend, Dysart for the next 1-2 years for quick capital growth and Gladstone for the next 3-4 years also for capital growth.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz
    Portfolio PI wrote:
    mattnz wrote:

Even though the Gold Coast airport is only months away from signing a contract to have flights to all the mining centres for fly in fly out workers?

Why buy two in Dysart Matt?

Hi Josh,

Sorry, just saw this post. If they do fly in fly out, where do the workers stay during the working week? Houses in Dysart, or are they setting up additional worker camps?

@jamesw82
    mattnz wrote:
    Portfolio PI wrote:
    mattnz wrote:

Even though the Gold Coast airport is only months away from signing a contract to have flights to all the mining centres for fly in fly out workers? Why buy two in Dysart Matt?

Hi Josh, Sorry, just saw this post. If they do fly in fly out, where do the workers stay during the working week? Houses in Dysart, or are they setting up additional worker camps?

matt im not saying i wouldnt go for a 14% haha, just a bit worried about Dysart now because of FIFO, their talking about building camps for the workers which would phase out Dysart. But from what i hear there is alot of mines based around Dysart so im not sure if this is intended for all of them or just one. Im now thinking of buying one in Emerald first then 6 months down the track buying my next in Dysart if it isnt to late,fingers crossed.

Profile photo of shoooshooshoooshoo
    @shoooshoo

Hi Jamesw82,

i believe the same thing happened in Moranbah, but there was minor impact? i believe the FIFO thing has minimal impact, because some will use it, some wont.  this is all assumptions from readying this forum.  i'm not looking at buying either in emerald or in chinchilla, house and land package, has anyone here used anyone they would recommend?

Thanks Guys! you are awesome

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

i live in moranbah and the crap has hit the fan with this FIFO thing.  if FIFO is approved itll be terrible for the community here.  we already struggle to keep businesses in business here, with rents mostly over the $1000 mark.  its too unsettled in the 'bah at the moment, I wouldnt invest here until its all sorted and we know whats happening with FIFO. 

if 100% FIFO doesnt happen itll be a great place to invest ;)

Profile photo of Ant45Ant45
    Participant
    @ant45

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great content in the posts.

Tell me how have people been getting on in the last 12 mths with the valuations when buying properties in Dysart and Moranbah? I know first hand that valuers have been ultra conservative since the GFC and valuations 20k or more short are pretty common.

Cheers
    Anthony

Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev

Why would you invest @ a 12% return when you can buy a  house in USA @ 30%. I suppose the question is why invest in Aussie property at all?

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar

my 12% return is safer than your 30% return

@shoooshoo
    condev wrote:
    Why would you invest @ a 12% return when you can buy a  house in USA @ 30%. I suppose the question is why invest in Aussie property at all?

i’m not ready to go international yet :) going interstate for my next property has been a step of faith already! :)

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7
    coalstar wrote:

Have to agree on that.

Still some serious downside to the US economy and I don’t there out of the woods yet by a long shot. Why go abroad when there are so many fantastic markets here in Australia!

Jack

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar
    JT7 wrote:
    coalstar wrote:

Still some serious downside to the US economy and I don’t there out of the woods yet by a long shot. Why go abroad when there are so many fantastic markets here in Australia!

Jack

exactly!

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi Ant 45,

Our valuation done last week in Dysart came in as we expected, we were happy with it.
    Had emphasised rent return and that it was furnished.

As for condev, I'm in USA too, but would be surprised if your 30% is after costs… the profit you end up with is what you have to count.

@shoooshoo

hey guys better read below anyone investing in Moranbah/Dysart about Fly-in-Fly-out miners

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/forget-carbon-tax-fly-in-fly-out-raises-a-red-flag-over-mining-hubs-as-investment-destinations/story-fn9656lz-1226102792814

here is a portion of the article:

For those who own property – or are planning to – in locations where mining matters a lot I’d suggest you forget about the carbon tax rhetoric and concern yourself with other issues.

The greatest risk to the economic health of mining towns is the rising tide of fly-in fly-out workers. The more the mining company uses FIFO staff, the less likely the local town is to thrive from the presence of a resources operation.

Soon after Julia Gillard made her July 10 announcement of the details of the climate change tax policy, there was a significant news story that got lost amid all the carbon tax hysteria.

BHP Billiton – via the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA), which owns significant coalmines in central Queensland – applied to the Queensland government to allow a 100 per cent fly-in fly-out workforce at its Caval Ridge mine near Moranbah.

Under current government policies, a mining company is allowed only a proportion of its workforce as FIFO workers; 30 per cent must be local employees.

However, under BMA’s proposal, 150 workers will commute to the mine, 200km southwest of Mackay…

What are your thoughts guys?

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.