All Topics / Help Needed! / Bowen Basin QLD Mining Towns – Opinion on offer

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 410 total)
  • Profile photo of chrisv1chrisv1
    Participant
    @chrisv1

Thanks everyone for the very valuble info. It is good to get first hand information from someone living in the area and I appreciate your input.

I live in the Karratha area and have seen a bit of a downturn here.

Tyhanks again.

Cheers

Chris.

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

Did I hear Eagle Boys in Dysart ..wow

Last week I was just informed that the Abott point loop rail has been delayed possibly 12- 18 months just after we were virtually awarded some large contracts.
    No camp is going ahead and Coal Stream Alliance has pulled out .
    Bowen has been promoting itself as industrial power house but sadly I see no upgrade to rail and Chelco refinary is still in the wind , who really knows.
    I can saye the Merinda Bowen substation will begin upgrading next month by UGL.

On another note Collinvile is looking at getting a 50 room motel , including Bar, Function/conference room and 768 Accommdation units on the Power House and Bowen developmental road. So for those looking to invest in Collinsville it might be worth knowing.

Plus there is talk of a new mine west of Clermont kick starting shortly.

The Federal Environment Minister has formally approved the expansion of Xstrata's McArthur River zinc mine near Borroloola in the Northern Territory.

Profile photo of InvestorMickInvestorMick
    Participant
    @investormick

As a property owner in Dysart (of 3 rentals) I believe the housing price decrease has much more to do with the ex housing commission homes flooding onto the market at just the same time as the "Global Financial Crisis" began to affect mining stocks and bringing on a lot of fear. Our experience is that companies like BMA are snapping up rentals being offered to them and other companies we have as tenants didn't seem to blink when we increased rents substantially. All that says to me that these companies still have a great deal of confidence in the mines around the Bowen Basin and aren't planning on going anywhere. The quicker confidence returns to property owners and the panic of needing to sell passes, I'm sure things will turn. How can anyone complain when you can buy a place for under $400k and rent it out for $1,000+ per week. That's a return of 13%+. With shares going backwards and banks offering something between 4-5% I know where I'll keep investing! Get over the fear, take a risk or two and start living!!!

Profile photo of nhb74nhb74
    @nhb74

I’m with Mick on this one.. I’m having a great time at the moment with my properties there!!!

Profile photo of Hingko24Hingko24
    @hingko24

Guys, I have a IP in Dysart and is being rented out for 1.1k  – but the rental lease will be expiring in June 09.  Can anyone advice me whether I can still ask for the same rent of 1.1k or, otherwise.

NB: Read the thread, and it gave me some level of comfort for the time being.

cheers

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

My understanding is that BMA has set a rental limit of $1000 pw. Over that and the property has to be 'something special'. Also, they are allowing their employees to inspect the properties before deciding, rather than just renting them unseen.

This says to me that the demand is lower than it has been, but 1000pw still indicates significant demand.

Daedalus.

Profile photo of DessyrayDessyray
    @dessyray

Hi everyone,

BMA have set a ceiling of $1100 per week that they will pay for a house on behalf of their permanent employee's and this has only been a recent thing they have done.  The house we just bought which our tennant goes in starting next week is rented for $1100 per week by BMA.  The deal is this…. BMA will not find their employees a house, the employee has to go to BMA with a house they want to rent and if it is up to BMA's standard they will take a lease over that property either for one year and if you are lucky two.  This has to go through the local real estate 'Vision'….. I know this because I personally spoke to them offering our house and that is what they told  me… It was easy for us to find someone to rent our house as we work at Saraji and our tennant is in the 80's on the list so hopefully he will be in it for some years…

I can tell you this there is around 80 employees waiting for BMA accommodation at Saraji mine alone , I cannot tell you the number at Norwich Park unfortunately… Now BMA have committed to build about 30 per year for the next 3 years is my understanding.  Of these 30 half are for each mine.  Now with those numbers rentals by BMA employees will still be needed for some time to come….

The Voluntary Redundancies have now closed and employees will be notified soon if their application was successful.  Remember they only want a very small number of employees to go.. There is quite a few of the older men wanting to take the VR as they are a year or two off retiring anyway and with the incentives to take the VR money wise, honestly they are mad not to take it if they can get it.   Yes some of them will own their house here, some no doubt will sell and others will rent.  These are men with alot of expertise and they will need replacing and they will be replaced as soon as everything settles down… The positive aspect with Dysart unlike Moranbah is that the council  has not made any provisions for releasing land to the public.  A local land owner was in the process of subdiving alot of land into acre lots but as far as I know this is not going ahead.  Without this happening it keeps prices high as demand is much greater that what is available.  All the vacant land in Dysart was sold years ago and has been built on.  Hope this is of help..

Honestly who knows what will happpen but if you don't have a go you will never know!  can't take it to the grave with you hey..

Profile photo of stu_maccastu_macca
    @stu_macca
    Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi stu_-macca

I use raine and Horne in MacKay and have been happy with them.

Vision are pretty good too I hear.  I have a friend that has 3 properties with them.  The advantage that they have is that they are living in Dysart.  They are also the agents that BMA go to for rentals.

Your property is in Moranbah isnt it ?? 

I make a point of speaking to the agents in Dysart often.

I did get the rent increase in dysart that I wanted without too much trouble.  my original tenants moved out because they were not happy with the rent increase.

I initally had a lease with a compnay for 2 years at $1000 a week which i was over the moon about.  the agent then included a rent review in the lease and they cracked em !!  wanted the lease changed to $950 for 12 months take it or leave it.  I was advised to take it !! 

if you send me your email address i will forward you some more info if you are interested.

fingerscrossed

Profile photo of swiftosswiftos
    @swiftos

Hi guys

I have been looking and buying as a buyers agent for clients in the Dysart and Moranbah area for quite a while. Interesting news today though which I though was important to share with all who are reading.

I recently purchased a property in Dysart for investment and was looking forward to the positive cash flow. UNTIL….. Commonwealth Bank who used to lend up to 95% LVR for these areas will not lend at all for any purchases in Dysart until further notice as they are concerned of the negative values of properties as a result of recent redundancies.

For anyone considering purchasing or selling in Dysart this is horrific news as I was only looking for an 80% loan and that involves no LMI or anything. I was also told that Moranbah, and Blackwater whilst OK at the moment may also end up with a similar fate.

I would expect this to flow onto the other banks so we might be heading for some price decreases not as a result of any market forces but unusual banking policies. I was surprised like many of you I am sure are as CBA are known for lending pretty much anywhere so I am surprised at this.

Any thoughts anyone??

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

Hi,

I use R&H Mackaey for my Dysart property and Mackay Rentals for Moranbah. Happy with both. I know that R&H Mackay are in contact with BMA, so I'm not 100% about the claim that BMA only uses Vision. It does sound like the kind of story that Vision would spin though.

One of the principals of Vision used to work for R&H Mackay, and I don't think she lives in Dysart.

R&H have a local property manager in Dysart.

Daedalus.

Profile photo of hadihadi
    @hadi

Hi everyone….

start off by saying this is definitely the most informative forum I’ve come across, thank you all for making it so with your regular contributions. Being from Sydney the information on this site is of great value to me.

I have a property in Dysart which was being managed by R&H Mackay up until late last year. When my property became vacant I really started struggling to find a new tenant, and unfortunately R&H didn’t seem to be up to the task in managing my property.

I had a good relationship with the former principal from R&H who was now working for Vision and she immediately gave me a ton of advise prior to me even having signed a management agreement with them.

Once I handed over the reigns to Vision they went to my property (they have an office/ permanent property manager in Dysart) took a heap of photos of everything that needed to be fixed and then got me quotes on the costs involved to get the place fixed up. That is something that R&H neglected to do for the 3 months my property was vacant for.

So I give a big thumbs up to Vision….I just hope they find me a tenant as soon as the place is fixed up a bit ;-)

Profile photo of JKFJKF
    @jkf

Hi all. We have been following this forum with great interest since purchasing a property in Dysart however we are now quite anxious after all these job losses, particularly at Norwich Park. We read a press release suggesting that property in the Dysart area would fall around 30% in value. Obviously we are concerned but we thought we'd see if anyone local to the area could give us an insight as to the impact the recent losses have had in relation to rental demand/prices, worker numbers etc. Should we stay or should we go???

Profile photo of nhb74nhb74
    @nhb74

Hey JKF,  I'm in for the long term in the Bowen Basin, so I think if worse comes to worse and you can service your loan without a tenant for a couple of years we should be in for another mining boom (only my opinion obviously)
    If your LVR is very high and you will be in deep trouble if your tenant leaves then the answer would be sell up if you can.
    This year will be very tough but if you ride it out you should come out on top in a very good position.  That's what I will do but I only have one property in the bowen basin with another in Weipa.  The rest are in Brisbane so I'm not too dependant on the mining town ones.

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

hi guys!

well – u now have someone who lives in Moranbah on the forums  :)  so u can ask me anything u want.  Ive been living here for 3 years courtesy of my husbands work and i have a decent knowledge of RE in the area.

rentals are still totally crazy here and even the 40 year old houses with original kitchen and bathrooms are renting for $800+ a week.  the house we moved out of last year was one of the first houses in Moranbah and it is renting for just under $1000 a week.  That is original kitchen and bathroom.  take my word for it … its a filthy dump.  no fence, not even a dining room, no room in the kitchen for a fridge.

we are now in a 30 year old house but its had major renovations and its in a better street.  the inside is very very nice.  and its renting for $1200 a week – it could get up to $1400 a week though.

I dont know anything about Dysart.  But with Moranbah the major real estate and prop management company is Moranbah Real Estate – they have the best and most listings.  Elders arent too good cos they arent even open all day.  every time i went there it was closed during business hours.  And I know that BMA were dealing with moranbah real estate because as late as last year because when I was househunting they told me that BMA snaps up nearly every house they rent out.

the word around town is that its too risky at the moment.  one of my good friends owns a real estate business in town and she confided that in her opinion u wouldnt purchase at the moment in Moranbah.  i was thinking of purchasing and she told me not to.

here is the RE.com.au pages for Moranbah. – http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?id=moranbah&a=qfp&cu=fn-rea&t=res&q=Go

the trend she has noticed since working here years ago is that the prices will be fairly uninteresting until there are about 3 or 4 pages left of houses.  thats when the prices start going up because of the small number of houses.  at the moment there are 9 pages of property.  so she told me not to purchase now.  and when u have a real estate agent telling u not to buy the houses then u know they are giving u their real opinion!  plus we've been close friends for a couple of years now.

she said that when it gets down close to that – maybe 5 pages or so – purchase then if im still interested.  but keep a close eye on it.

in regards to the mines, there are three new mines opening up in the area around Moranbah.  We are anticipating that the Moranbah slump will finish soon because of this.  Heres the local media on it:

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2009/03/27/jobs-mines-Aquila-Eagle-Downs-Washpool-Vale/

I think once u find the right house for the right price its SO worth buying here.  in regards to rentals u will always be able to charge the ridiculous rental prices.   there is heaps of construction around town and new houses are springing up everywhere.

Moranbah has another 15 – 20 years in her yet!

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

if anyone is looking at buying, feel free to msg me about a street and ill let u know if its a good part of town or not.  im a sincere christian woman and if someone wants my opinion i promise i wont go behind their back and try to bid on the property.  im not like that.  happy to help!

Profile photo of JKFJKF
    @jkf

Many thanks!!! We're very nervous and need the reassurance!

Profile photo of InvestorMickInvestorMick
    Participant
    @investormick

We've a couple of properties in Dysart and one which has an inground pool is becoming vacant this week. BMA won't take leases on properties with pools so we've booked in to fill it in this weekend as it becomes vacant. Hopefully we can rent it out fairly quickly and possibly to BMA.
    Here's hoping!

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi Karenday

Thanx heaps for your input.  I am sure there are plenty out there needing some reassurance at this time.

Are you able to tell me if the BMA Cavill Ridge is still a goer and what is happening with the fertilizer plant ??

These are the 2 reasons i bought in Moranbah in the first place !!

Also, I dont understand why your Real Estae friend has adivised you to hold off purchasing in Moranbah until there are less houses for sale.

If you are confident that Moranbah is going to pick up again why wouldnt you purchase now while there are plenty for sale and more chance of negotiating a better deal ?

Thanx again for your help and input

Fingerscrossed

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

Just been up and had a look at my 2 ip's in Dysart, both rented on long leases, and renewed at 1000.00 until 2010.  There is an excess of small unrenovated property in the area atm, landlords that have taken their money and not done any maintenance, some have been vacant for 3 months or more now.  Larger better maintained properties are still renting, but there is not a huge demand there atm.  However, on departure, I counted the 26 coal ships waiting to load up, recent information published in the Mackay newspapers says the demand for the coal has not slipped one bit, they can't keep up with it.  I make sure my properties are in perfect condition all the time, I plough the money back into them if I have to to keep it tip top, my agent commented, not many property owners do this in the area, hence why some are sitting vacant.  When driving around you could see quite a few of the 3 bed small properties just sitting there with long grass unoccupied, imho if you are thinking of investing there, make sure its a quality property and with a lease in place if you can get it. 

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.