All Topics / Value Adding / removing ceramic tiles

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of brookeleabrookelea
    Participant
    @brookelea

i'm planning on carpeting the bedrooms but have no idea of how to remove the ceramic tiles..one option i was given was to place carpet above the tiles except the area around the doorway which would just remain tiled..thanks in advance!!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

No harm in leaving the tiles under the carpet – much quicker and cleaner. The carpet layer will end up breaking a few around the perimeter when they come to nailing on the smoothedge otherwise there shouldn't be too many change of level issues

Ripping up tiles then making good the floor will take quite a while unless the tiles are already drummy.

Profile photo of brookeleabrookelea
    Participant
    @brookelea

thanks scott..my only concern is that i will end up having a small part of my room uncarpeted (around the doorway and probably around the window frame) and it may end up looking odd..but i agree that laying the carpet on the tiles would be the most efficient way to go..

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you take the tiles off, (assuming that they are laid on a bed of mortar) you will then have a 25 mm gap under your doors. It will be much easier to trim a door to go over the carpet than to replace each door. If all else fails, trim the area around the door/window with alum edging.

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Is it a timber floor or concrete ?   

Tools

Participant
    @brookelea

it's a concrete floor tools..

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Brooklea, I have seen tiling over a number of substrates including concrete & fibre cement so it is not a stupid question.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

oops, didn't realise the nick was tools thought you mean they were a tool……

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

I wouldn't be trying to fix smooth edge over the top of tiles. They will shatter and you won't get the smooth edge to hold without drilling and plugging in to the slab. You would be best to hire a kango or similar with a tile lifting blade which is a broad flat chisel that will lift the tiles and adhesive easily.

Tools

Participant
    @brookelea

scott, so funny!!  i had a good chuckle over your statement..tools, thanks..  now just must convince the husband

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.