All Topics / Help Needed! / tips on CAVEATS?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of hoping2doitrighthoping2doitright
    Participant
    @hoping2doitright

Hi Guys,

recently I found a nice house going for auction but once i conulted a lawyer (which is no longer our lawyer as he is unreliable), he warned my fiance and I to not bid unless the caveat is removed as this could cause issues.

Because of this advise we missed out this great opportuninty as no one showed up to the auction…

my quetion is, who has had experience with Caveats and are they as bad as the lawyer made it out to be?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

As the lawyer says; don't buy unless the caveat is removed.

The caveat can be for a number of reasons. Mostly from someone that the property owner owes money to.

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

You need to know what the caveat is for.  If it is simply noting that some money is owed that's not usually a problem, but if it is claiming ownership of the property because of a contract or an agreement etc etc the vendor really needs to sort that out before putting on ther market.  If noone turned up at the auction then I would assume other people's lawyers gave similar advice to yours

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

A caveat means another person has in interest in the property. They are not supposed to be issued for loans. The title cannot be transferred until the caveat is removed, so things could get messy if it is over a marital breakup etc. Your solicitor should have been able to see onl what grounds the caveat was issued.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.