All Topics / Help Needed! / saved 15k, what would you do?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of chrisc83chrisc83
    Participant
    @chrisc83

Hi,

I have saved 15k through a managed fund, and am wondering what to do with it.
    Property is one option, however im in between jobs at the moment and dont have the cash flow right now to support fortnightly payments.

Basically im looking for cash flow options and to take control. I dont feel that im in control of my financial future right now when its tied up in managed funds. I know i can get better returns elsewhere.

Can someone lend some ideas?

Chris

Profile photo of chrisc83chrisc83
    Participant
    @chrisc83

anyone have any ideas? should i just stick with a greater target?

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Hi chrisc83,

Well done with the saving and investment so far! The problem is that very few here are qualified to give the financial advice you're after, which is regulated unlike property investment advice.

You need to consider your risk profile, your current investment yield / growth and your personal goals. You might be able to get a better return elsewhere, but this higher return is likely to come with an increased risk of capital loss. Read up on investing – google books on 'value investing' to give an alternative perspective to the one you'll get from property investment gurus (almost all promote growth investing strategies).

I sure do agree that a great way to increase your investments is to save and invest more. But don't forget to reward yourself too when you reach each of your goals.

Good luck,
    F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of jackmendozajackmendoza
    @jackmendoza

Howdy chrisc83,
    re: $15 grand to invest
    I have been using covered call strategies in the US market. It is a great way of gaining cashflow from a lump sum and with the current exchange rate a viable option.
    In essence:
    Buy a share (block of 100 shares)
    Sell an option (1 option equals 100 shares)
    Generate 3-6% per month cashflow depending on your risk profile
    Best account to use is http://www.interactivebrokers.com – the cheapest transaction fees by a long way.

I am not a financial planner, adviser etc so do your own due diligence before investing. http://www.optionsxpress.com offers  a practice trading account – would be worthwhile learning without investment for a while.

If you want any further info or assistance, happy to help

Jack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.