All Topics / Opinionated! / Why is housing not affordable!

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Hey JL,

How is your mining town punt going? Has the mine talk increased prices?
    Mick

Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

Mick,
    Prices have not jumped much.  I settled in Jan and it is now worth around $70k.  At this stage I am getting a good return and only had a few days vacancy after settlement, so I have done alright after 6 months in these conditions.  I have spent around 6k on A/C's, blinds and a few other things.  The mine is not due to open until late 08, so at this stage not much happening.  I note that building in the town has started and there are a couple of new places for sale for $250k.  This should bump things along with my 3 bedroom fibro place.
    The mining company plans to close the mine after three years or so and then the environmental clean up after this.  I note that in May the company who is opening the mine has advertised some of the positions vacant for the mine.  They will accept applications from July.  Maybe this might spark some interest. 
    If you are interested here is a link to the jobs:
    http://www.iluka.com/?page=mbsexpressions
     I guess Ouyen and Manangatang are the two towns that will benefit most. One thing to note though, is that there are other more major towns that are going to feel the positive impact, such as Mildura.  Something else to note is that the processing will occur in Hamilton, which will reduce the need for staff.
    So Mick, the punt has at least paid for itself plus a little bit.  At this stage I am still hoping that it will pay alot more in the next few years, or I might need to go get a real job, working for someone else, to buy more IP's. 
    JL

Profile photo of James_JohnsonJames_Johnson
    @james_johnson

The block of units i live in is on the market for 500k odd and returning around 12% i think.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Daedalus wrote:
    I'd like to add that sometimes the labels might not actually be meant as a criticism. Friends/family might jibe you about being a capitalist to your face, but behind your back they might be quite proud of you…

"DL is doing really well, they've got 4 investment properties you know!…"

Don't lose sleep over it. ;)

Daedalus

It all comes under the heading of "stick and stones"

I gave up caring what others thought or said of me many years ago.

Be true unto yourself.

And in this case; no-one is going to help you get rich except you (and us here), so go for it.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Rhys_Roberts wrote:
    The block of units i live in is on the market for 500k odd and returning around 12% i think.

Where is it?

Are you going to buy it?

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.