All Topics / Finance / Becoming a mortgage broker

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Chris

No your 2 cents are more like a dollar of input.

99 % of MB's have no idea (By the way this does not refer to anyone else on this forum here) but the industry in general) about customer service or ways to structure a portfolio. They want round pegs to put in round holes and then go home at 5pm.

Let me tell you it doesnt work like that in the real world.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Hi Chris

Your story is exactly the same as mine.

I have been stuffed around by so many brokers, its crazy that they get property investors who buy properties constantly and dont have the brains to look after them.  They want to make a quick buck and forget about the long term gain.

Sorry to any of you brokers out there, i am sure there are good ones too.

Rotten eggs in every industry.

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung

I'd be very wary of becoming a mortgage broker these days.  It's only a matter of time before a client is going to sue a mortage broker for giving bad advice.  Is the professional indemnity insurance going to be enough to cover him/her?  Even if it does ,it's going to mean that skyrocketing premiums for the next year.

As usual, the mortgage broking industry, like most industries, won't act until all hell breaks loose.   

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Hi has anyone studied the Diploma of Lending?  Is it worth studying to understand finance structures better, what did you learn from it?

Any thoughts would be great as I am considering studying it for my own personal needs so i can understand more about finance and structures etc.

Can anyone here help me learn more about it? 

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I didn't realise that it only cost A$600 to get cert4 in financial services. Can anyone tell me where to apply for it? and is there any exam/logbook etc… to complete?

Profile photo of gibbo1gibbo1
    Participant
    @gibbo1

I did my cert IV through http://www.aamc.edu.au . The course for around $600 is via online content.  There are about 3 tests plus 2 assignments.  There are some other online providers that cost more but also probably have more content.  I'm currently doing my introduction pack via MFAA and alot of information is repeated between the 2 courses.  The small amount of content that is covered in the cert IV really does show the need for MB to do a whole lot more study then just the minimum if you want to be able to offer a great service.  I saw on one site that they are currently trying to organise mentors for there students to fulfill the requirement of MFAA membership and MB's in WA.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Gibbo. did you learn much by doing the course?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

It seems that very cheap.. only A$2000 for Dipl Financial Services. Is that useful?
    Some of the insitute charge about A$5000+. How about doing it in TAFE? any one has experienced?

Cheers

Participant
    @gibbo1

Terry,

I didn't learn much, a few things about the UCCC and a couple of other items.  I started a commerce degree many years ago, have had a couple of loans and run my own businesses.  Alot of the content I found was common sense, of information that any borrower SHOULD be aware of if they have had any previous mortgages.  It goes into some of the anti-money launderying and things but this is then repeated in the initial compliance pack (in greater deepth) with the MFAA.  There really is no content on structuring loans for investment purposes.  Aimed more at the straight forward loan applications.

Profile photo of noobienoobie
    @noobie

Didn't the banks recently cut broker commissions by around 40%?? That's gotta hurt!!

I have been stuffed around by so many inexperienced brokers. I really think they should be forced to do a degree or at very least a TAFE course over a couple years so they're not potentially ruining a person's finances through lack of experience/training/knowledge.

I'm not a big investor – but I do have a few properties. The last two brokers I dealt with had absolutely NO clue how to handle multiple securities. So I went to the bank myself and got the deal done when they were still farting around playing with numbers trying to make it work. I'm sure more training could have helped these pathetic brokers to keep my business!

Noobie

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Noobie

I couldnt agree with you more as i have reapeatedly said on numourous ocassions.

Thankfully the recent cuts in commissions and drop off in the overall numbers of property transactions will mean many of the inefficient brokers with absolutely no idea will go back to their normal day jobs.

Only concern with going to the Bank direct is that they will want to try and X collateralise the deal for you and certainly will never tell you if you can do better elsewhere.

If you deal with a MB who is an active investor  he will understand your requirements when it comes to structure, multiple deals and assisting you in your investment goals.

Profile photo of QuickBuckQuickBuck
    @quickbuck

Hi everyone,

Having been a MB in Victoria, and having moved on from that industry, I would like to add a few comments.

1.   In addition to all the certification/accreditation courses and compulsory industry memberships mentioned above a MB is required to attain  certification with every lending institution whose products they sell.

2.  There are probably over 100 individual "lenders" out there  each with multiple products that change as frequently as we change underwear.  That is a LOT of information to keep up with..  Most aggregators deal with 30+ lenders.

3.  During MB training we were told that we should get to know 6 to 10 lenders thoroughly and that would be sufficient for 99% of our customers.  Thus most MB will only advise their customers from the limited range of products that they are familiar with rather than the full spectrum.

4.  If you are looking for a reliable broker I can recommend one in Victoria.  Otherwise, if you wish to find the best, then ask for the one that EARNS the biggest commissions.  Because they will have had more experience and done more deals than many other brokers put together.

I hope that helps,
    Cheers
    Robert

Profile photo of Shaun M SmithShaun M Smith
    @shaun-m-smith

I have had up to 15 brokers at any one time working as contractors under my banner. There is a lot of time and effort that needs to be put into these relationships. The majority of the time I have found the investment to bear minimal return as most "brokers" reach a certain level of competancy and decide to go down their own path. The better the mentor the quicker you learn and the faster you leave the nest. I guess it is natural progression.

If you can seriously bring in 2-3 loans a week then that is a great start. Perhaps you can just refer the business to someone you trust until you have met the various educational requirements. Then perhaps you can contract to them until your ready to fly the nest.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I think one of the problems might be due to aggregators wanting sales super stars rather than customer service people.
     I would have made a good Mortgage Broker and actually completed the training but the aggregator
    held on to the certificate. After promising that there was no sales quota when I signed up they started pressuring me into building up a client network.
    In the end I terminated the contract with my aggregator as they threatened to terminate my contract if I didn't get sales leads so I saw this as too big a business risk.

Also one of the problems you may come across is having a potential client poached from you from another bank or their existing bank by offering the same loan at a lower interest rate than you as a mortgage broker can provide.

another way of entry into the field is via http://www.wizard.com.au/homeloans/task.aspx?id=1025

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid

visit http://www.brokersite.com.au for details and MB opportunities

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid

visit http://www.brokersite.com.au for details and opportunities to become a mortgage broker

Profile photo of Bugsy74Bugsy74
    Participant
    @bugsy74

what you could do is start with a small broker business in personal lending. Join http://www.cashpal.com.au ( ready to launch in three months ) and earn an incremental on going income that you can set as a building block for your business income. The plans allows for an income of up to 3000 per month and allows you to get on with your main stream business. CashPal is in a sector of the market that isn't heavily regulated yet. The business comes with all the infrastructure required, staff, support and a process. The advertising is done for you and all leads are yours for the area you operate in. Drop me a line for info at anytime [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Wow Bugsy great first post mate.

Did you pay Steve for your advertising.

Payday lending isnt regulated yet but hopefully it will soon be so to avoid such predatory lending on the people who can least afford it.

Profile photo of Wealth AccumulatorWealth Accumulator
    @wealth-accumulator

Hi

It doesn't matter what industry, there will always be shonks.  That's life.

The issue is that often there is more than one legislative area that needs to be covered – a mortgage broker should not necessarily be giving advice on property ownership or structuring – unless of course they have extra qualifications.

Often there is a combination of loan structuring, ownership of investments, taxation issues, legal risk, estate planning, personal insurance, general insurance etc that need to be considered when buying a property.  The issue is that in this list there are at least 4 to 5 separate professions – all with various issues to be considered some which can conflict with others.  The best tax strategy may leave you at risk of asset loss to other risks like public liability etc.

Therefore you often need to find a team of people that can work TOGETHER for your best interests.

As regards commissions – if more people were actually prepared to pay a decent fee for quality assistance that helps them generate FUTURE sustainable wealth then period of holding the loan wouldn't be an issue.

Why do you think lenders now have entry and exit fees – because of the tendancy to trade loans like trading shares.

I think the answer is that you have to do a bit of research yourself and find professionals who have a good reputation and can either confirm or challenge your own thoughts with logical strategies that have merit – and be prepared to pay for it.

In the end it will be the investor making their best informed decisions that they can, rarely are strategies perfect on all levels – often there is a trade off.

Getting into the mortgage game just because you haven't found a good broker yet is pretty full on way to solve the issue.

In the end it often comes down the the relationship that the MB has with the loan providers – the MB doesn't approve the loans, the lender does.  Similar to personal insurance good advisers will develop strong relationships with quality product providers so the approval process works well.

My experience with mortgage brokers has been mixed, there are plenty of good ones out there however.

Participant
    @gibbo1

Yep every industry has them but unfortunately I think this industry attracks more due to the large sums of money that are dealt with.  As much as I would love to see payday lending cleaned up, the advantage for MB is whilst there is less regulation in pay day lending hopefully more shonky characters are attracted to that area and leave decent MB to clean up our part of the industry.  I think alot of people coming into this industry dont realise just how much work goes into learning about so many different products and how much reading is required to keep up to date with changes.  If you believe some companies you get paid thousands each day for typing some numbers into there "special" computer program and spend the rest of the day playing golf

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.