All Topics / Help Needed! / Is property investing really all its cracked up to be?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    dreaming wrote:
    for my technical advise I'll read books by well educated people like Ed Chan, Micheal Yardney and Steve for foresight into the future.

That's a real knee slapper!

Oh wait, you're not serious about Ed Chan and Michael Yardney are you? If so, apologies; it might look as though I'm mocking you. I'm not, I really thought you were joking.

Cheers,
    F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of MrmanMrman
    @mrman

Foundation, care to explain what you mean? What is your opinions on the individuals mentioned above?

George

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Well, here's a 'for starters'. I'm not sure who is more disgraced by this article – Michael Yardney or the so-called journalist, Ben Langford.

Quote:
    Darwin median house prices 'to reach $8m'
    By Ben Langford

March 22, 2007 07:46am
    Article from: Northern Territory News

THE median house price in Darwin will be $8.36 million in less than 30 years, a property expert has said.
    Based on an average rise in property values of 8 per cent per year, Michael Yardney said the $8 million mark would be reached by 2036 – within the lifetime of many homeowners.

<snip>

Darwin's median house price is now $385,000.
    Adding 8 per cent per annum to this figure sees its value at $830,000 in 2016 and $8.36 million in 2036.

<etcetera>

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21426161-421,00.html

The sickest thing is that people will actually read this and believe the numbers as given. Some will no-doubt make financial or investment decisions based on this and other bubble-speak. Ugh.

He did a similar thing for (I think) Adelaide and Brisbane…

F. [cowboy2]

@foundation

Riddle me this:

It takes an increase in mortgage debt of about 15% to achieve an increase in median house price of 8%.
    Assuming inflation of 3% and GDP growth of 4%, how much mortgage debt would we have after 30 years of 8%pa?

Do Michael Yardney and Ed Chan cover this gear in their books?

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of YossarianYossarian
    @yossarian
    dreaming wrote:
    All of the technical analysis doesn't calculate human emotion and the fact people want their own home and piece of dirt and will do anything to achieve this.

This is closer to theology than to economics.

Make no mistake, the capacity of the punter to buy property is a function of the preparedness of someone else to lend the money. That particular money-pump is slowing at a significant rate and both the price and availability of credit in now and for the next 12 months will be very different from the circumstances of the last 5 years which have driven demand.

There is no magic pudding.

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Foundation, shouldn't you also be considering the growth of the property also with your rent stats against interest?  Just say for example if my portfolio increased by $1 million in 4 years, cost me $60,000 of my own money to hold the property and we were heading for a BIG correction (40%-very unlikely) so my propery went down by $400,000 wouldn't I still be better off then not investing in property?  I'm a bit baffled by your charts and opinions, am I missing something? Is there a certain type of property investing that you don't agree with – growth/cashflow/residential/commercial/all property?  Do you think there is a better way to invest money?

Profile photo of srobinssrobins
    @srobins
    dreaming wrote:
    and for my technical advise I'll read books by well educated people like Ed Chan, Micheal Yardney and Steve for foresight into the future.

Well if you want to talk about foresight, didn't Steve sell all his property a short time ago?

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    foundation wrote:
    Tysonboss1 wrote:
    remember that the most capital cities have averaged close to or above 10% growth long term,…. and the rent generally increases faster than inflation,

Rubbish!

Have a look at the latest Residex report on residex.com.au/newsletter/source2007-11bMC.html.  In nearly every area in Australia whether it be capital cities or regional prices have gone up by close to or above 10% for the last 10 years.

Don't say rubbish without looking at the facts.

Profile photo of Boy in BlueBoy in Blue
    Participant
    @boy-in-blue

From my calculations, the article stating Darwin prices to hit $8.36M in 30 years, based on 8% growth and median price of $385,000 is WRONG.

Based on 8% growth over 30 years, the price would be $3.87M, and after 40 years, $8.36M, after 100 years $846M,

If inflation is 4% per year for 30 years, at the risk of sounding like a moron asi have absolutely no qualifications in this field… from what i calculate, 4% inflation based over the next 30 years, would make this $3.87m property in Darwin, hypothetically worth $1.13m in todays currency. 

Based on rent yields of say 4%, to rent this property would in todays dollars, be rented for $875 p/w.

Don't get me wrong, i just cant see how people will be be able to afford this unless wages increase dramatically or if inflation increases drastically.

If i change the inflation to 5%, the value of the property in 30 years in todays value is about  $831k, still with a 4% yield, rented at $639pw, i'd argue it's still unaffordable for most people in todays market.

So what has to give?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Your capital growth is compounding while your loan interest payment is staying the same or decreasing.
    450,000 with a compounding 5% p/a growth = $262772 after 5 years with a property value of $656509 while the interest payment is a total of $192825
    Do not also forget that the property is earning rent that helps to meet some of the interest payments that I have not factored into this calculation.
    NEVER under estimate the power of compounding growth
    and this is also a compulsory savings scheme so if you can pay down the loan you will eventually have more equity and pay less interest. Would you have the will power to save the money otherwise. Unfortunately the CPI has to be factored in but you can blame Mr Howard for this problem when his government scrapped indexation when the 50% discount on CGT came in.

Profile photo of Boy in BlueBoy in Blue
    Participant
    @boy-in-blue

I understand the concepts and the power of compounding investment…

What i dont understand is how people will be able to afford property in 30 years time, on the basis of 8% average growth for 30 years, take Darwin as an example used before:
    Annual Average Growth 8%
    Annual Inflaction 4%

Median price today is $385,000
    Price in 10 yrs –    $831,186
    Price in 20 yrs – $1,794,468
    Price in 30 yrs – $3,874,122

Based on 4% inflation per year, the figures in todays dollars would look something like this (unless i have stuffed up the calcs)
    Price in 10 yrs –    $552,599
    Price in 20 yrs –    $793,159
    Price in 30 yrs – $1,138,440

Wages will increase which will provide some compensation, but I don't think it will be enough to cover the amount.

Loan Amount House in Darwin
    Morgtage Payments on $385,000 @ 8% – P&I are: $2824 per month

Loan Amount House in Darwin @ 8% in 10 years
    Morgtage Payments on $831,000 – P&I are: $6097 per month

How can we afford to pay such high mortgages for property 10 years down the track?

If prices do rise to that level, and people can't afford it, more people will rent, but want rent can we afford? 5% Yield for a $831k property is $41550 a yea, or about $800 p/w for rent.

I cant see how the current trend of captial growth can continue for the next 30 years? Can anyone enlighten me?

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1
    Boy in Blue wrote:
    I understand the concepts and the power of compounding investment…

What i dont understand is how people will be able to afford property in 30 years time, on the basis of 8% average growth for 30 years, take Darwin as an example used before:
    Annual Average Growth 8%
    Annual Inflaction 4%

?

Well I don't think it will be nessary for the bulk of people to afford a property, look at most of the large mega capital cities in the world and the % of people renting is massive compared to the number of home owners.

slowly the thinking of people will have to change from thinking of the family home being a 4 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre block to a 3 bedroom town house or apartment,

In my suburb in sydney the crapest house in the street is already worth over $1.5 Million,…. These houses are on large blocks less than 1km from 30storey apartment buildings though,

remember in 30years these houses that are worth $380,000 today will be surrounded by town houses complexes and apartment buildings,…. and the house that I mentioned above thats worth 1.5M will propbally be long gone and have a $30M apartment building sitting on it. 

so yes I believe with inflation and growth it is not unlikly that in 30years a developer could offer you $4million for your home.

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

OK, back to the initial post…welcome blah blah blah have a good time blah blah blah and so on …first and foremost, as your first post in a "property investing forum" I think the question is a bit loaded…

Anyway, you forgot to think about rental income, as well as using the CG to buy another property, depreciation  etc…

Bye bye…

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Have you filled your crack in yet?

@foundation
    hleung wrote:
    Have a look at the latest Residex report on residex.com.au/newsletter/source2007-11bMC.html. In nearly every area in Australia whether it be capital cities or regional prices have gone up by close to or above 10% for the last 10 years.

Don't say rubbish without looking at the facts.

Gosh, let's see… Nope, this is rubbish too. You can't say 10% per year (implying compund growth) if it hasn't been following that exponential trend. Refer to my picture – the playskool ™ one.

Furthermore, 10 years is not 'long term'. I've researched property prices all the way back to the very first subdivisions of Melbourne and going back over 100 years in Sydney. I know my stats.

Growth has not followed an exponential trend in over the long term. And house prices have not risen rapidly in real terms for the bulk of that period. Which makes sense, because that would be impossible.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of seankseank
    @seank

Hi Foundation,

You have some good points and data.
    Could I please aks what qualifications you have?

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Well Phil, perhaps property isnt for you. A local managed fund linked to China is currently returning 107% PA……….

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I have spoken to two people who have made a lot of money with property investing and one of them had words of wisdom in that the secret is in the timing of the property cycle. As I have seen property growths of 25% p/a over between 2001 to 2004 when the market was hot and have experienced 1995 to 2001 of no growth myself which averaged out to approximately 7% p/a growth over 10 years. The other person advised me to only look at the ROI (return on investment). However I did purchase a property in 2000 and sold it in 2004 for a 70% profit I would agree with the timing being an important factor.

@foundation
    Boy in Blue wrote:
    From my calculations, the article stating Darwin prices to hit $8.36M in 30 years, based on 8% growth and median price of $385,000 is WRONG.

Bingo! The fact that the maths are wrong and the prediction a whole order of magnitude to high should flash great warnings. But that's far from the only problem with the article and predictions. I haven't read Mr Yardney's book. Perhaps I should do that.

seank wrote:
    Hi Foundation,

You have some good points and data.
    Could I please aks what qualifications you have?

Yes, you can, but I won't answer you! Let's just say I value my privacy and my field is very sparsely populated. My job doesn't relate in any way to the housing market, but I deal with data, stats and predicting the future using information from the past. I'm not an economist.

I've given a rambling explanation of my concerns over using simple extrapolation of recent trends to predict house prices over long-term over on this thread as part of a debate with one of our most prominent property analysts. Let me know what you think. My proposition is that house price movements are driven primarily by debt, that recent trends in debt are unsustainable, and beyond a certain limit further price increases will rely on income growth. This is why it doesn’t make sense to expect house prices to forever grow in compound fashion at a faster rate than wages.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of seankseank
    @seank

Hi Foundation,

I respect your privacy.

My proposition is that house price movements are driven primarily by debt

So don't you think there are any other factors which influence prices eg.
    1. supply and demand
    2 .Immigration
    3. Mining towns
    4. Interest rates

ect

I think you have some really good points and data, and I say this with no dis-respect but you are always negative in regards to most posts.
    Are you saying we shouldn't invest in property?
    For us novice investors could you share some thoughts/views in regards to investing in property?

sean

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.