All Topics / General Property / Brick of Timber?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of ToTo
    @to

Is is worth to pay 10-20 k higher for a 35-year old brick house than a timber house of the same age and in the same area?

Please share your thoughts… Cheers

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Personally I prefer timber. a) because I prefer the look of it and b) because it is a damn sight easier to work with. With timber it is much easier to put in new doors or windows. You can move the walls around or  put on an extension. I dont know about other states but here in Qld it is almost impossible to find a brickie for a small job like an extension.

I guess it is a personal taste. It will also depend on the area you are looking at. What are the majority?
    Also are you interested in growth or rental return? I can't see it would make much difference in either but I don't know the houses or neighbourhood you're looking at.

Profile photo of ToTo
    @to

I bought a partly renovated one-storey brick house at 600s Hamilton Rd, Chermside West, Qld 3 months ago… I paid $398,000 for it…  Prices for brick houses in the area seems to be more appealing… as a Qlder, what do u think?

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I have a couple of Queenslanders that have been renovated and built underneath they were both purchased as PPR and they go well with my furniture which is large antique and I just like them and being from the UK their character appeals to me more than a brick dwelling.  In Chinese astrology my element is fire and my wife is weak wood so a wooden house is good for both of us if you belive in that stuff.  From a scarcity point of view as time goes by they become more scarce and will soon be antiques and hopefully will be more sought after.  I think the building underneath bit is an excellent way to double the floor size at low cost.   Underneath is normally nice and cool and shaded for the QLD summer.

The first one we done up was our pride and joy at the time and its now a rental and I must admit that it is low maintenance in that polished floors and VJ wall panelling is very forgiving and the odd tenant bump and scratch doesn't matter.

Down side is that they will need painted now and again some say higher maintence but I havent found that but dont forget I done major renos as well.   Older houses pre-85 cant be depreciated.

I am now in the process of building a new IP and its brick and tile low set the theory being that it will be lower maintenance and also fully deprecaiting.  In the future I will probably continue to invest in new brick and tile homes and live in Queenslanders.

Profile photo of ToTo
    @to

Thank you for sharing Bardon. I do know that post-85 building cant be depreciated. Still, we want to minimise the cost of maintenance of our IP's and you did agree brick houses will cost less in future maintenance. Just curious if you would pay 10 k extra for a brick home?

Profile photo of ToTo
    @to

Btw Bardon, as in Chinese astrology my counts are soil – 122, metal – 52, water – 54, wood – 50, fire – 12. This year is the fire Pig year and it has really shown me luck, I got a new higher paid job which allowed to start to invest in property. Do you know much about the Yin Yang stuffs?

Cheers

Participant
    @bardon

I dont know if I would pay extra 10k just becasue its brick, two houses are rarely identical assuming its an IP if you put it into a property calcualtor then look at the ROI that might be the best acceptance criteria.  If you dont have a property calculator PM me with the details purchase cots, rent, rateas, approx building value, tax treatment and I will run it through one for you.  I also like to look at the aspect of the house as well NE preffered western side shaded high side of street etc the land size might persuade you either way as well.

Participant
    @bardon

I am the great Master from Jockland, I know a little about it

If  I am reading it right then if you were to live in this house not good as you are strong earth and brick home is earth to much earth.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi To,
    It also depends on the style of the home.
    For instance, in my area a  weatherboard Californian bungalow will fetch a much higher price than a basic brick house of the same size/age/state of repair.
    As far as maintenance goes, I would say that a weatherboard house is higher.

Participant
    @bardon

We are also now in the cycle of metal and this has been very auspicious for me being in pipelines and I am working on the aquisition of a steel importation company fingers crossed

Profile photo of ToTo
    @to

Thank you diclem for your comment… and Bardon, I plan to rent out the forever as I have already settled down in Melbourne. Thanks for telling me of 'too much soil' stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.