All Topics / Legal & Accounting / A few questions on SMSF and unit trusts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of AcrobatAcrobat
    Participant
    @acrobat

Hi All,
    This is my first post, I hope some of the gurus out there can help me.
    I have a meeting with my accountant next week to set up a SMSF. I understand how the SMSF is set up and that to purchase property you then set up a unit trust that has two sources of funds to buy the property – units it issues to the super fund and myself. And it is the unit trust that buys the property.
    Question 1: As you purchase more properties do you need to set up a different unit trust for each of the properties you purchase? Or can the one unit trust invest in multiple properties?
    Question 2: Apparently you cannot use the property the unit trust buys as security, and you must use the equity in your own property as security. This poses a problem for me as I'm going to run out of equity very quickly. Has anyone gone through this and uncovered any creative ways of getting around this problem?
    Question 3: I have heard rumours that rules around borrowing against super funds, and using properties unit trusts buy as security might be loosening up. Has anyone got any info on if this?
    Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sorry, I don't follow.

You set up a unit trust to own property, and then the units are owned by yourself and your superfund 50% each? Why not just 100% in the superfund if you are not borrowing?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of AcrobatAcrobat
    Participant
    @acrobat

Hi Terry,
    Not enough in my super fund to purchase outright. My contribution to the unit trust will be borrowed.
    Have you set up a SMSF?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi VB

I see.

No, I don't have a SMSF and haven't really done any research in this area. So if you are going to borrow to do something like a JV with the super fund, and you cannot mortgage this property why not just buy it outside the SMSF, just on your own? The JV would be ungeared so you will be tying up a lot of cash?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @acrobat

My wife and I have 50K+ that's built up over the years in our individual super funds. On top of that our employers are contributing 1000 bucks a month, which is currently invested in our employers default super fund.
    That's OK, the returns so far on the super money have been good, but we've made better money with our own investments in property, and want to continue on this path.
    But, as we purchase each new property it gets harder to get finance, and to come up with a deposit.
    It would be nice if the super fund could pay 10% of the property (the deposit) and then return a 10% share of the profits when the deal is finished.
    That way the super fund is making good returns, we don't need to fund a deposit each time, and need to borrow 10% less on each property.
    That's the theory, but the questions posted above might stop this working as I could run out of equity, or find other legal issues which get in the way. The rules on investing with SMSF are quite strict I believe.
    I should know more tomorrow as I have a meeting with my accountant who has set this up for himself.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Legislation was passed in late Oct 2007 (It has already received Senate approval) to allow SMSF to borrow in their own right so why go to the expense of setting up a Unit Trust why not just borrow in the SMSF name solely.

This peace of legislation will certainly fuel the fire on the property market with Trustees now able to borrow to gear into oth residential and commercial property.

Before i left for a month in the UK (where i am until Dec 1) i have placed an offer on a Commercial property in Brissie borrowing in my SMSF. I can claim all the negative gearing deductions, depreciation etc i could in my own name but have the benefit of the reduced Tax rate on profit. 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Richard

Can you tell me where I can find more information on the new lending rules.

Also any information you want to share on the loans which are allowed would be most wlecome as what you have described in your post is what I would like to do (buy a commercial IP within a SMSF). Like Acrobat I have been looking into unit trusts for this. Any information on relative interest rates, conditions etc. would be most helpful as a starting point.

I read a post about warrents for this purpose on another forum though don't quite understand this yet. Is this what you are referring to?

Thank you
    Elka

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Elka

The legislation passed through the Senate in October so most Accountants and Financial Advisers / mortgage brokers should be aware of this by now.

Obtaining a loan is the hard part as most lenders havent caught up with the market news ans are trying to figure out how they will lend with no recourse. NAB are doing mine but i do have a good relationship with their HQ.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Richard

Any idea what LVR is likely to be possible?

Cheers
    Elka

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Elka

I think each lender will vary but i wouldnt expect you to get more than circa 60% as the loans are non recourse.
    If the deal is self supporting i think you would be ok but you certainly will not get MI.

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Hi Richard can you explain in basic terms what this means for property investors.  Does that mean we can set up a SMSF and then borrow to purchase IP's.

thanks

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Post

Yes i think the market will be enormous for SMSF.

You wlll now be able to purchase a property whether it be residential / commercial in the name of your SMSF and borrow against the property with funds from your Bank. The Super Fund will be able to negative gear albeit at the marginal rate paid by the fund of 15% and then once the loan is repaid or the property is positvely geared the fund will only pay Tax at 15% on the profit. If this does not occur until such time as the fund is in Pension stage then no tax will be payable.

The fund will be able to do development (as long as this is within the Deed objectives and it is not deemed the fund is carrying on a business.

If you think you have 15 years to go before you will retire then the loan could be geared accordingly.

Remember when you sell the property asset in the SMSF if you are entitled to claim the concessional CGT you will only pay Tax at 10% on any profit made. 

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Post

Yes i think the market will be enormous for SMSF.

You wlll now be able to purchase a property whether it be residential / commercial in the name of your SMSF and borrow against the property with funds from your Bank. The Super Fund will be able to negative gear albeit at the marginal rate paid by the fund of 15% and then once the loan is repaid or the property is positvely geared the fund will only pay Tax at 15% on the profit. If this does not occur until such time as the fund is in Pension stage then no tax will be payable.

The fund will be able to do development (as long as this is within the Deed objectives and it is not deemed the fund is carrying on a business.

If you think you have 15 years to go before you will retire then the loan could be geared accordingly.

Remember when you sell the property asset in the SMSF if you are entitled to claim the concessional CGT you will only pay Tax at 10% on any profit made. 

Participant
    @acrobat

Thanks very much Richard,
    If you hear that any particular lenders are surging ahead in this area please keep us updated.

Participant
    @acrobat
    elkam wrote:

Can you tell me where I can find more information on the new lending rules.
    Also any information you want to share on the loans which are allowed would be most wlecome as what you have described in your post is what I would like to do (buy a commercial IP within a SMSF).
    Elka

Hi Elka,
    Here's a few posts/articles I've been looking at
    http://www.investordaily.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/id/style/3259.htm?rdeCOQ=SID-3F579BCE-3888AA72

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=348596

http://www.financialstandard.com.au/index.php?id=11046#Scene_1

Just found Calliva have a heap of info on this – check this link

http://www.calliva.com/superaccess/index.php?id=3

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Richard how much would you need in your SMSF to borrow for a property?  Would you need a minimum balance to make it worthwhile, also who do you see about setting up the SMSF so they understand how it works etc.

thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Pos, super funds can't borrow they must invest so as not to put the funds at risk. SMSF Property is achieved through a JV with yourself ie 50/50 etc but the borrowed portion is yours not that contained within the fund. Generally speaking, you cannot put residential property into the fund – it must be a commercial proposition eg retail ($50k won't buy much on St Georges Terrace), serviced office, warehouse units or entire buildings eg block of 4+ units.

Most advisers will say that you need $100-200k + to start a smsf as the annual costs of compliance & audit exceed $1.5-2k minimum (which would be 4% of your fund) – even the most inefficient public offer fund would charge only 2% for its management fees. On this basis alone it would be unwise to start your own fund (talk to your accountant/adviser and let them talk you into/out of it).  Unless you are in a position to contribute say $150k or $450k over 3 years (in a lump sum) into the fund, you will have insufficient resources within the fund for investments (its ungeared share of the property).

Having said all of that, funds are allowed to borrow indirectly, they achieve this buy investing in geared funds eg property trusts, warrants etc which increase the exposure to an asset – the funds have the borrowings not the smsf but this does not achieve your goal of direct investment in a property within your fund.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Scott No Mates

Sorry you quiet wrong with a couple of your Statements

1) Pos, super funds can't borrow they must invest so as not to put the funds at risk.

As i mentioned in my earlier post legislation changed with Senate approval to allow SMSF to borrow in their own name.

2)  Generally speaking, you cannot put residential property into the fund. 

This is certainly not and never has been the case. You have always been able to purchase residential property in your SMSF.
       You maybe getting confused with the Non Arms Length legislation.

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

Hi all,

It seems that this approach is well suited to IP's where the yield is high and CG is high, but the expenses are minimal. While you only pay 15% on the upside, you can only claim 15% on the expenses too. Since many CF+ IP's at personal tax rates are only CF+ because of the depreciation, many of these will no longer be CF+ on a tax rate of 15%. It's pretty tough to find such an IP unless you don't have to borrow, which negates the whole discussion.

I think that the main point of using a strategy such as this is to leverage your super funds, not as a form of tax minimisation. Accessing super might be a quicker way to kick start a property investment portfolio than saving up a deposit or paying down personal debt to get some equity.

The other advantage might be to get your super funds out of the hands of some bozo funds manager. [My personal quest is to reduce the number of idiots between myself and my investments to just one idiot – me!]

Daedalus

Participant
    @qlds007

Accessing super might be a quicker way to kick start a property investment portfolio than saving up a deposit 

= Good in theory but not as easy as it sounds as there are considerable legislative restrictions on accessing your Super.

I totally agree about getting it out of the hands of an incompent fund manager.

Can't remember the last year my SMSF was out performed by any FM.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.