All Topics / Help Needed! / Is it my responsibility or the Body Corp?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of anawanahuananaanawanahuanana
    Participant
    @anawanahuanana

Hi. I have a problem with my IP unit. It's on the ground floor (as all the units there are) and there is a blockage in the sewer line from the unit to the main sewer. The plumber has to dig down through the concrete outside the bathroom window to access the area of concern. My question is how do I know whether the sewer is my responsibility or the Body Corps? I have a load of By-laws, but I don't think it says anywhere in there. The Body Corp manager seems to think it's my responsibility to pay for it, but can't tell me why!
    I always thought that shared services like the water main were a B.C thing, and so assumed the sewer would be the same, but I don't know if it makes a difference that it is the "branch" if you like from my unit to the main sewer that seems to be at fault? Afterall, the manager told me my front door was actually the B.C's, so if this is the case, I can't see why the sewer line isn't theirs!
    Thanks for any advice on where to look. It's my first IP and I've only had it a couple of months!
    Cheers……..

Profile photo of bendbanksbendbanks
    Participant
    @bendbanks

pipes form part of the 'common area' there for they are BC issue. Speak with you BC manager not the on site manager to resolve this matter.

Profile photo of anawanahuananaanawanahuanana
    Participant
    @anawanahuanana

Thanks for that. I did speak to the Body Corp manager. She is 1 of the residents as they run it themselves. Don't want to fall out with them about it, but at the same time her and the secretary just keep saying "well we've never had any problems before, and I've been here for a thousand years blah blah blah….." like that removes them from responsibility!
    There must be a doc somewhere that states exactly what forms part of the common areas, but I just haven't found it yet. Keep looking I guess!

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

It should be the responsibility of Body Corporate.

Profile photo of bam bambam bam
    Participant
    @bam-bam

if i were you i definitely would pursue this – despite the awkwardness. why u might ask ?
    well, we had a similar problem 3 times in as many months. believe me this can easily add up to a couple of thousand in plumbing costs. in our case the old clay pipes had cracked ages ago and were constantly letting roots in, thereby resulting in the blockage. the first time the plumber put a camera in and then cleared the blockage. in the end we too drilled through concrete, replaced the pipes etc…  so take a deep breath and get ready to deal with your frugal executive committee.

(BTW this is only not a body corporate problem when there is a problem with the mains… then you just call up the water bopard and they come and fix it @ their expense).

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If it is outside of the airspace and "inside paintwork" of your unit then it is the body corporate.

You just own the airspace within your four walls – and technically the paint on the inside.  Everything past the coat of paint on your internal boundary walls belongs to the BC.   Technically you need their permission to put a nail into a wall on the external perimeter of your unit.

You might need to checj into this a bit further.

Ciao,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.