All Topics / Help Needed! / Which are the safe Adelaide suburbs?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of CharleeCharlee
    Participant
    @charlee

Hi everyone! I'm contemplating a move to Adelaide for a job. Having a toddler of my own, I'm looking to find a home in a good. safe suburb in Adelaide, preferbly close to the CBD. I have been advised that North Adelaide is a good starting point. Would anyone care to offer any suggestions? And, since we're all investors here, I'm hoping to look for a home that will benefit from capital appreciation in the medium term. Really appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks!

Profile photo of AnGeLcAkEAnGeLcAkE
    Participant
    @angelcake

Hi I don't know which areas are the best to invest in (could look at Port Adelaide?wouldn't live there tho atm) but for living, North Adelaide is nice, Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Flagstaff, Craigburn Farm, Parts of Glenelg & Brighton near water. I personally would stay away from the North – Elizabeth, Salisbury and too far South Colonades. When, I was researching to move to SA from QLD I checked out a lot of British Forums (peops moving over here). Most places are 20-30hr from City.

Profile photo of CharleeCharlee
    Participant
    @charlee

Thanks for your tip AnGeLcAkE. I'm researching the areas you've suggested. My husband has just received news that he'll probably be working in the city. Hence, it looks like I've got to find accomodation nearer there. What do you think about the suburbs around North Terrace? I've heard that the area is rather safe, but it is expensive. If you do have any suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks again!

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Hi Charlee

North Adelaide is safe but expensive.  Places close to the city but not so expensive would include the first suburbs on the south and west side rather than the suburbs on the east and north side.  Public transport is quite good for the inner suburbs (not nearly so good further out) that most suburbs within about 5 kms of the CBD or close to one of the bus GoRoutes should suit you.

Are you looking for a flat or a house?  What do you consider expensive?  Will you be renting or buying immediately?

Mum

Participant
    @charlee

Hello Mum,

Thanks for your input! I've had a chance to look at some of the suburb maps available on Adelaide. I like Fitzroy and Thorn Gate. Some blogs say that its one of the most expensive around. What do I consider expensive? Well I guess a house that is more than $700k. I'm keeping a lookout for good bargains. Public transport is important of course, but I will probably be driving because its really tough bringing my toddler around.

I'm looking for a house, preferably something around the 300sqm size. Don't think there are any good developments now so I'll probably have to consider one on the market. When I do move to Adelaide, I might rent for two to three weeks but I would prefer to buy straight out. In fact, I'm going on a 'look and see' trip this Christmas. Hopefully I'll find a house that I like.

What's important to me is a suburb with a good preschool. Any suggestions?

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, on $700000, you have some good choices. North Adelaide is very hip & yuppy. There're a mixture of old big houses with views [>$1M] & townhouses [2BR] small blocks, little yard space. My niece owns a townhouse with an artist's studio on Barton Tce opp the golf course. Value is $425000 plus or minus a bit more. Someone's comment? "No room to swing a dead cat". She's recently moved to a villa at Dulwich. $500000 settled last month.

Rose Park is good & near city but may cost in the region of $900K to $1M+

Millswood is near city. Price depends on the house itself. Generally above $600000. Mitcham is attracting more young families now as are Clapham, Pasadena & Panorama. This little cluster attracts some new English migrants. I just moved from Clapham. It's a most appealing suburb to live in but the houses are old & many need to be rebuilt. Lynton has good houses but costs $600-700K These suburbs are all a little over 5km from CBD south east.

For those new to Adelaide, the Eastern suburbs [Rosslyn Pk,. Linden Pk, Wattle Pk, Kensington[Pk & Gds], Tusmore, Heathpool, Springfield are the PRIZED suburbs. Then you have Medindie, St Georges, St Morris etc etc

Adelaide has many 'good' suburbs. They are very small & not many houses are for sale now.

I hope this email has been of help rather than confuse you. Since you have a toddler, you might want to consider a house with a decent backyard. That's the yardstick for most Adelaide residents with children.

Good luck,
    Kum Yin

Participant
    @charlee

Hi Kum Yin,

Many thank for your input. I'm sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Been tied up with lots to do lately. Its funny how we tend to want to do a lot more when the year is nearly up isn't it?

I really appreciate the insight on the houses and suburbs. I've heard about the East suburbs and that its supposedly the next 'in' place to live in. Will definitely head out there and have a look  at the houses. Ideally, what I would like is a house with a waterfront view. However, as we are all on budgets, I've got to keep and eye out for a good buy.

I'm also considering apartments for the short term. One in particular is Prices Apartments on Grenfell. Thinking of renting for a while. Would anyone happen to know what the building used to be? I understand that it has just been refurbished.

As always, really appreciate EVERYONE's time to help me out here on this blog.

Cheers!
    Charlotte

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.