All Topics / Help Needed! / Building cost

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of James007James007
    @james007

Hi all if theres anyone builders in particular that have ideas on pricing some help would be massively appreciated. I'm looking at building a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom unit, what are the prices per square meter? i've heard anywhere from $600 to $1200 per sqm. I presume it would be cheaper to build a spec home rather than have one designed, especially if the builder does them all the time, but i dont like the idea of going through a large builder like metricon (done that before) any advice. 

Thanks James

Profile photo of tammytammy
    @tammy

It would also depend upon where you are building and the terrain (slope, soil type).
    As a comparison, I am building in regional NSW (duplexes) and I am paying around $1250 per m2 plus any extras (extra driveway, kitchen upgrade etc.
    All the best
    Tammy

Profile photo of wade anthonywade anthony
    Participant
    @wade-anthony

Hi James007
    I'm a designer and really it depends on a couple of things –

Buying power of the builder, mass builder or smaller builder who builds to a design, sometimes you can get a mass builder who will build designer homes. (this may be a cheaper option.)

Finishes play a big part, standard or quality finish.

The amount of plumbing/wet areas.

A lot depends on the design, the more trades the more labor costs eg. timber cladding timber  framed – no brickie, timber floor – no concreter, these days tiles seem to be cheaper than colorbond roof sheeting.

As it's a little quiet in the building game it might be worth your while getting plans drawn then get a few builders to quote, maybe make a list of finishes so all the builders quote on the same thing.While in conversation with them see how busy they are (starting dates are a good indication), find a couple who can start with in weeks and see how bad they want the job.
    A bit of leg work and you may save thousands $$$

Good quality finishes should be around $9500 – $10000 per square (divide m² by 9.29 = squares)
    Mass builders standard finishes around $8500 plus per square

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid

I saw a project home builder advertise $4,600 per square. WOW!

Spend a day at some of these homeworld villages for ideas and comparisons

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid
    tammy wrote:
    It would also depend upon where you are building and the terrain (slope, soil type).
    As a comparison, I am building in regional NSW (duplexes) and I am paying around $1250 per m2 plus any extras (extra driveway, kitchen upgrade etc.
    All the best
    Tammy

Tammy, which region r u building. I am about to build in Tamworth and Armidale.
    I was thinking of using local builders even though I have a Sydney crew ready to go.

Profile photo of jssmithjssmith
    @jssmith

Hi James
    I think Anthony is right on the mark .
    I have built with the mass builders (porter davis) twice for personal properties and the process was good and cost effective.
    You would be paying around $8,000 with extras from them. You might find the pricing up front is around $6500 PSQ , but it will go up with site costs and extras. The last house was 34 SQ and it costs $240,000 with alot of extras and site costs.

At the moment i have invested in an old victorian house in inner melb. It settles next month ,but i have already had surveys completed and the designer is working on plans as we speak.
    Like you i will be building a townhouse ,next to the current house and subdiving (coner block).
    Why i cant use a mass builder like before is you dont have the flexibilty.
    I have budgeted around $10-12,000 per Sq for the reno ext and new townhouse.
    If you shop around you should get something built for $10,000 but dont be surpised when quotes come back at $15,000.
    its all about research
    good luck with it

Profile photo of James007James007
    @james007

Thanks guys for that info, i've spoken to a company who design draft and construct, the guy i spoke to said they dont really build spec homes on subdivided lots due to council regs more often than not things need to be changed, but this sounds to me like it would cost more to build, compared to a spec home.

Has anyone had experiences with particular companies that offer a start to finish approach design draft contruct sounds like it would make  the process a lot smoother but at what cost??

Profile photo of pjk1966pjk1966
    @pjk1966

Hi James007

Can you give us an idea of where you want to build.

I have access to a few builders that can do a start to finish job for you in South East Queensland.

Happy to help you out if thats where you are.

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Where are you looking at building James???
    I amy be able to help with builders info
    Luke

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Hi James,

I'm working on $2,000/m2 on my MUH development in Sydney's Northern Beaches.  That's a lot more than you're factoring in, but I won't be using a project builder as its a complex build requiring an excavated basement carpark and lift etc.  Remember, units are normally more expensive than free-standing houses as there's a lot of dead air in those big McMansions.  Units optimise every m2 and end up costing more as a result.  More bathrooms, kitchens etc in your footprint.

Cheers,

Michael.

Profile photo of James007James007
    @james007

I'm looking at building in the western side of Melbourne

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.