All Topics / Value Adding / adding internal walls

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of marklesliemarkleslie
    @markleslie

Hi all,

If I wanted to build an internal wall to divide an area / create an extra room (such as putting a study room in) or extending a hallway section, do I need to get council approval for this or submit plans etc.? I am talking about a simple gyprock wall.

An example is the a converted garage which is quite a large room that I was thinking of dividing into two to have a closed in study. The room already has a window and sliding double doors.

thanks
    Mark.

Profile photo of TheBishTheBish
    Participant
    @thebish

Hello

I'm no expert but I would have thought you do not need council approval as you are not changing the footprint – just internal modification.

Cheers

Profile photo of dollarmandollarman
    @dollarman

im a 3rd year chippy, rule of thumb.. if it aint structural and no1 can see it from outside and it doesnt effect the neighbours.. go ahead..

dont quote me, this question can be answered legally by just ringing up the council and asking them directly..

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

it may affect the re-sale if it's not council approved… you may have to put in a carport as in some areas you must provide 2 car parking… of course you can go ahead & do it & chance it though, if noone is gonna know… until you try to sell maybe!… Personally I also would talk to council

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Where abouts do you live??? In Vic if it is under $5K then you don't need approval, however you need to check to see if what you are going to do is going to affect the structure, then you may need to get an engineer in to look at it. If you are just installing a wall which will not affect anything structually then you would be fine.

Locco

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

It depends on the state.  I am currently in the process of putting a wall in a property in the NT.  I don't need council approval because it is not affecting the structural integrity of the property.

But I agree with the other posters – just call the local council.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Generally speaking, if it is a wall it is a defined element and needs council approval (load bearing or not). Due to the small scale of the wall it may get an exemption from a DA. If it creates a 'habitable room' it will need ventilation (5% of floor area) and natural light (10% of floor area) – a doorway does not count! As you are doing work in a garage – was the garage conversion approved? Are the walls single brick  with piers or brick veneer/clad? Single skin brick walls are not approved for habitable rooms.

Check these out then call council.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.