All Topics / Value Adding / HELP!! – Shower Floor has no slope

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of mikebluemikeblue
    @mikeblue

DESPARATELY SEEKING ADVICE – I have remote renovated a property, and it has just been tennanted. Everything went fine except one major detail was overlooked. The builder who tiled the floor in the bathroom, did not slope the cement or tiles that are on it, so every time my poor tenannt has a shower, and inch of water (that may be an exaggeration), is left on the shower floor, and it stinks apparently.

How can I get around this, I have suggested the tennant use a squeejy as a short term remedy, but need to do something to fix this issue. The idea of removing the shower screen, ripping up tiles adding more concrete to create a slope and re-tiling does not appeal to me, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hoping for some inspiration on this.

Regards
    Mike

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

you can probably just  tile directly over existing tiles after first putting down a screed to flow… simply pull out drain grate & re fit to new tile …make sure tiler sikaflexes all corners.

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Get the builder to come back and rectify it at his expense.There is no excuse for that. Was he a builder or a handyman?

Tools

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco
    Tools wrote:
    Get the builder to come back and rectify it at his expense.There is no excuse for that. Was he a builder or a handyman?

Tools

Agree with Tools, you shouldn't have to wear that, nor should your tenant. is he a reg builder?? or licensed trade?, did he give you a warranty on works undertaken??

Luke

Profile photo of dollarmandollarman
    @dollarman

not your problem. the tiler should of screeded the bed to fall to the waste in the floor ( or grate). its the tilers problem, but he worked under the builders license yeah?? so the builder problem to fix it.. ring em up and pester them…

Profile photo of The ContrarianThe Contrarian
    @the-contrarian

Yep… I agree…. try to be as diplomatic as possible :)

Profile photo of WinterheartWinterheart
    @winterheart

(I posted in your doublepost of this thread, so thought I'd copy paste into this one too)
    OK, as a tiler I have some bad news for you.  There is no way to fix the issue of no fall on the bathroom floor other than to rip it up and redo it all.  The builder who did the work should be contacted and made to rectify the work under warranty, as being a wet area it must be screeded and a fall built into the base prior to tiling.

That said, you may have some issues with the builder if screeding wasn't specified in the initial quote, though any remotely decent tiler should have known that they would need a sand cement base would be required and screeded prior to tiling.  In addtion to this, what sort of undertile waterproofing was carried out as well?  If there was no waterproofing carried out, again, you may have troubles further down the track.

You *may* be able to get away with a base laid over the existing tiling, but considering that the last time I looked at the standards the minimum specified bed thickness was 25mm, laying a new bed over the existing tiling will result in a very very thick base (allowing 25mm bed + approx 7mm for original tiles + approx 7mm for new tiling) will cause more potential for problems than ripping up the old work, relaying the bed and doing the screeding.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the only thing that can be done to fix the problem.  Good luck with it.
    Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.  Cheers :)

The above post is my comments, thoughts and opinions only and should not be used in place of professional advice from persons qualified in the particular area you need.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.