All Topics / General Property / Tenant Databases you’re crazy if you dont

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of bendbanksbendbanks
    Participant
    @bendbanks

I often watch the news shows when they do the ‘tenants from hell’ segments. I find them most interesting as 99% of the time these problems can be resolved without need for TV shows and landlords getting P$%^ed off.

The start would be to conduct a tenant search on a tenancy database. These are your best source of finding out if your prospective tenant has a previous tenancy problem. For private landlords this is a must as you are going to develop (whether you like it or not) a relationship with your tenant. And most private landlord tenancy issues start from this relationship, the tenant misses a payment and you give them some ground and the matter slowly gets worse.

Now I should point out two things 1. tenancy databases DO NOT affect a persons credit rating 2. If you can you should check a couple of databases as some are more current then others.

Any questions drop me a line

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Very interesting Ben !
    is there any one of these tenant data bases in particular that most property managers and real estate agents use and record the bad tenants ?Can anyone go and check info on tenants?

thanks man

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of bendbanksbendbanks
    Participant
    @bendbanks

Hi,
     yes there are a couple of tenancy databases out there for landlords and property managers to use.
    My company has two Barclay MiS FastTrack and a new service being started shortly called Tenant Search (specifically for private landlords). There are two others TICA and NTD, this are consider to form the big 3 for lack of a better name. There are several others but I can not comment on them.

Tenancy database are state controlled with different laws on how tenants can be listed. The once that I have mentioned are national which means (especially in the case of Barclay MiS) tenants listing are from all over Australia.

http://www.barclaymis.com.au/products
    http://www.tenantsearch.com.au (coming soon still under development, should start around 1st November)
    http://www.tica.com.au
    http://www.ntd.com.au
    (it can not be said that I don't acknowledge my competitors)

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Hi bendbanks
    Tenants from hell is one thing I am really worried about.  Checking a database would ease my concerns for sure.
    How does it work??
    Surely a private landlord can't just log in and do a search.  is there a fee or membership required on these web sites?
    Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Participant
    @jules1

Bendbanks
    The tenants from hell are one thing that worries me. If I could check a database then that would ease my concerns.
    how does it work?  Do you have to be a member of these websites or do they charge one off fees?
    How does a private landlord get to use the databases?
    Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of HiredGoonHiredGoon
    @hiredgoon

How would you feel about a landlord database?

Participant
    @jules1

HiredGoon.  You sound like you are living up to your namesake.   GET REAL  mate 
    The Landlord owns the property, and has every right to choose as wisely as possible to reduce any risk.
    You obviously have not been in a position where your life savings have been invested in a property where 
    tenants have wrecked the place.      And having been a tenant for most of my life, I would not care if
    a landlord checked the database for any negative history on me.  I have always looked after properties
    that I have rented.  Unlike some people. 

Good on you bendbanks for providing us with this information.  

Jules1

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of AeroAero
    Participant
    @aero

Jules1

I think that both you and HiredGoon have a valid point. 

Yes landlords should be allowed to pick and choose their tenants and protect their property.  But I believe that there are bad landlords out there and that tenants should have the same right.  If a tenant gets a bad landlord they are just as likely to loose respect for the rights of a landlord just as some landlords appear to treat every tenant as a bad one.

I am a tenant, I always treat a residence as if it where my own and have no black marks on my records, in fact most of the time I leave the premises in better condition then when I move in.

I have has some very bad landlords and some fantastic ones…

As a result I am building a website that will let tenants comment on landlords, real estate agents and property managers. 

The big difference between my site and the landlord ones will be:

• it will be open for everyone to search … tenants and landlords
    • no cost to either party
    • if an email is available registered for an agent/property manager/landlord is registered they will be automatically be notified.  Which, based on current self regulation, does not happen in the real estate industry.

The first entries in the database base will be my own experiences… both good and bad….

Participant
    @bendbanks

Aero,
        I wish you the best of luck with that website and hope you have a very good lawyer who works cheaper for you as you are going to need it.

Participant
    @bendbanks

I would also like to point out that a landlord and tenant both have the same right to a fair hearing and that really a tenant should only be placed on a database once correct legislated steps have been taken. There is nothing stopping a tenant taking a landlord to each states respective small debt body or appearing when a landlord/agent takes the tenant to body in question.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.