All Topics / Value Adding / Strips to cover joins in wood panel – not gyprock

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of irishausirishaus
    @irishaus

Hi,

Best title I could come up with.

We are renovating an old house and some of the walls are some sort of wood panel which have been painted.

To cover the joins there was a paper strip about 5 cm wide which looked like it is expandable somehow.

Is there a modern equivalent of these strips or can I get the originals still.

Fact is we removed them as they were in bad shape and used wallboard net strips and gyp rock plaster and painted over.

But as we had stumps fixed, there has been some movement so we are getting cracks.

Some of the oter rooms have wooden strips covering joins.

So, one option is to ddo wooden strips, but a paper solution would be cheaper.

Any advice appreciated….Sam

Profile photo of dollarmandollarman
    @dollarman

sounds like a picture rail.. about 2100mm off the floor level??
    if it is, it seperates the 2 sheets on the wall..its how they used to cover the joins back in the day.

ive never seen a picture rail removed and sum1 setting it and its never cracked.. never..

strip the wall and start fresh, gyprock sheets are cheap as chips anyway and a plasterer is $30 an hour cash..

just remember if its hardwood.. good luck nailing new sheets on, you will bend so many nails.
    i recomend screwing the sheets on, but pre-drilling the holes b4 so u dont twist the heads off…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.