All Topics / Finance / Investing in the U.S. – Finance Solutions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Hello Everyone

I would really like to invest in cash flow positive properties in the U.S. and now of course due to the sub prime dilemma it has made it increasingly difficult.

Can anyone give me some advice on how or who I can borrow funds from?

I thought before you needed 30% deposit and could genereally get funds from any bank???? but have been told by a few banks that I need 100% equity??  I have my property portfolio split between four banks so do not have access to that kind of bulk equity.

I am only looking at borrowing US$300,000

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dependant on the security you may need between 25 – 35% deposit.

Many of the normal US lenders have withdrawn their Foreign National products due to the sub prime crisis.

There are very few US lenders that will fund these loans and many are State specific.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

hi Greengucci,
    you can try Ben carmona ,he does many different loan s for foreigners.I got one through him last year.

hes on
     www.bencarmona.com

Just a word of warning about the usa investing.
    Make sure you speak to at least 5 different foreigners who have already done it.
    Make sure they have had at least 18 months experience also.

Also Generally speaking:
    Just be careful before you go big into it as it is very easy to make a loss being so far away.
    Without being over dramatic ,MANY people have fried their money over there !
    It works very different over there to in oz also.
          For example you never ever should pay "retail" as you will probably not get it back when you re sell it. 
    as there are so many under valued deals people will of course buy them first.(especially with the sub prime issues!)

Also be careful if yr doing "buy and hold" deals as it is tough to get them managed in certain areas.

Bets regards

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Thanks for that, appreciate your feedback.

This may sound like a niave question but I have seen houses selling for 50k.. how do you even build a house for 50k.. it just doesnt make sense to me.

To build a house must cost nothing in the U.S.?????

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

queengucci

This is an extract from a Property Developer I used to work with in Buffalo he dropped me an email last week, I also trust this guy and he is probably the only one that I dealt with in the US including Texas that I would say that about.

"The sub prime issue is affecting the real estate agents active in the market right now, but hasn't really effected much on our end of things. The new big influx of investors are coming over from the uk. The new loan requirements are messing with alot of those guys who paid cash and planned to cash out. Once th enew regulations came into place they all were left scrambling without to many alternatives. The foreclosure market in Buffalo is probably going to resurge a bit this late year. I know of a few who are in default and I'm sure there are even more who are there and I just don't know of it."

Notwithstanding that my cousin has recently bought some property in Florida (he lives in NYC) and reckons that FLA waterside is the best value now as some of the vendors and developers are bailing and some prices are 40% lower than they were last year.

Participant
    @world-changer

Hi Queengucci and Dave,

Yes ,Building ,  renovation ,material costs and labour are much cheaper in the Usa than Australia.

But you have gotta be careful who you deal with.I know many people who have been overcharged for building work,especially foreigners.not only that but never pay up front .Always give installments and check the job on the way through,otherwise the builders get lazy and slack off on quality.

Also for a further saving, if you know the right people, you can get workers that work for a very reasonable rate for you to reno yr houses.
    I would always advise you oversee and lead them in the job though to make sure you know yr getting a good quality job.

There are also some really good places that you can buy chepaer building materials.
    For example ,on the propertys we have been reno ing in Texas ,we have been getting some materials from Habitat for humanity.It is a business which gives all its profits to building houses for people who would never ever be able to afford them otherwise.
    How it works is alot of the big companys give them their products as a tax deduction for them(being fully written of on thier books)and they are doing something that really makes a difference.
    Other companys give the HFH company any seconds
     of building materials or discontinued stock. It works out well for everyone!!

Email Me

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Property management is also a serious problem in the US. Its a long way to travel if something goes wrong, Heidi Steger is also great with finance. [email protected]

She comes highly recommended.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Good to hear from you Worldchanger and even better to hear that your US stuff is coming along and your out there doing it.  I think the fact that you are out there and are supervising things is the only way to do it.  The Habitat thing what a ripper you always were humane,

I am going to a wedding in NYC next year and the groom wants to do the buck night in Fla and is absolutely insisting that I buy waterfront down there, my uncle is there now and they are saying once in a lifetime opportunity right now.

What they are about to find out is that the only thing left for me to do in the US with property is to organise the bucks night in Buffallo and then point the lads at a few oxygen thiefs that are still operating up there my cousin is ex para, best man works in prison service early repsone and I have a few connections in the Irish community, know what I mean, I think its deductable to

Remember the Alamo!!!!!!

Participant
    @world-changer

Hi Dave,thanks alot man ,
    Ha Ha the buffalo thing Its definately very tempting  man!! ha ha love it !!

Email Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.