All Topics / General Property / Garden Sleepers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of brettc4brettc4
    Participant
    @brettc4

I am about to replace an old retaining wall made of wooden sleepers with some new concrete sleepers. Primarily because the wooden sleepers embedded in the groundf are rotting out and I like the look of the cocrete ones better.

My question, Does anyone know of a company in SA that will pay for old wooden sleepers??

Thanks,
    Brett

Profile photo of dvs1962dvsdvs1962dvs
    @dvs1962dvs

Not if they're old and rotting out as you say.  Could be a haven for white ants too.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I assume that most of them are OK.  If so just put an ad in the paper and someone will come and get them.  Perhaps even offer them for free if someone digs them out and removes them – a win win deal!

Profile photo of brettc4brettc4
    Participant
    @brettc4

Thanks for responding.  Most of them are okay, just always looking for a way to make a little more cash.

Cheers, Brett

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Take good pictures and post them on e-bay. with a low start up price.

As for your new retaining wall, consider the 'keystones' from Boral. I built 40 meters with them and you can not beat the look and the easy to build.
    http://www.boral.com.au/Images/common/mdg/BOR11999_SA_Manual_Bk4.pdf

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Tradesman only like using new materials, because it easier to work with, I would take them to the tip or start a bonfire

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

You cant go past limestone blocks for retaining walls, relatively cheap and very effective.

Profile photo of brettc4brettc4
    Participant
    @brettc4

Yeah, the old wooden sleepers are on their way to a dump.

Thanks Marc for the link to the Boral products. I have been looking at the Outback Sleepers, concreate sleepers that use steel posts. I do have a recent Boral pricing guide and I believe the concrete sleepers will be a bit cheaper and since they are coloured and have a texture I am hoping they will end up looking okay.
    If anyone has used the outback Sleepers and have any comments, I would love to hear them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.