All Topics / General Property / Illegal monkey bikes on your property…

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Has anyone any advice/ suggestions/ stories on how to deal with inconsiderate neighbours riding their  F!?#!!  noisy, illegal monkey bikes, sometimes for hours?? Anything short of killing them considered. I would like to be able to contact their property's owner (they rent), but don't know how to. Any suggestions here? (It's a private rental they told me once, not thru an agent.) What would you do if you had tenants doing this in your place? Care? Or not?

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr

Polce, if its a noise issue.

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Police have been notified about 5 times. Never came out once.  It's logical that would be the 1st thing I would try!

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr
    Profile photo of beaniemonsterbeaniemonster
    Participant
    @beaniemonster

You should be able to go to the local council and fill out a quick form and straight away they should be able to give you the name and address of the owners (as long as you are the person listed on the rates).  or ring a few real estate agents and ask if they ever managed that property in the past they may have some details.  I would think it is a noise issue, if it is disturbing your peace and quiet constantly and making your quality of life less than what should be expected where you are.

If you have animals, you could tell the local council that it is making them stressed.  We once had a noise issue with a Band practisiing next door to us at night (yes i can laugh now) but the council dealt with it for us. The police only tell them to turn it down. 

Take video footage if it is that bad (i did).  Good luck with it, it doesn't sound pleasant to be around.

Participant
    @beaniemonster

ooh one more very important thing…. keep a diary of dates and times. duration and how often will play a big part if council are to say send a letter.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Have you thought of approaching them and coming to a agreement with what times and how long they can ride. Is the bike louder than say a lawn mower. To stop them completely is a bit rude. We have people in our street that have drums but they agreed to limit what time and how late they would use them.Just approach them consideratly and see if you can come to a agreement. A neighbour up the road from me once called me over as i was leaving my house on my ROAD REGISTERED BIKE. And told me bikes are s#@t and told me to f@#k off. That was the worse thing he could have done as i made sure to ride past his house at high revs every day for a YEAR. If he approached me in a different way we would have had a different outcome.

Participant
    @beaniemonster

Not true in all cases devo76, we were on friendly chatting terms with our neighbours and asked them 5 times to turn down the amplifier and play at a reasonable time / day.  it fell on deaf ears and we now don't talk to them and are more than happy to seek legal advice if they do it again.  If you want good neighbours….. be a good neighbour i reckon.   Some home owners just don't care about their neighbours (so tenants definately wouldn't).

People that can be so disrespectful to others around them, really aren't going to care if you are annoyed by what they are doing.  And i love it when people say "maybe they don't know it is annoying and disrespectful" yeah right!  We all have a right to a certain amount of quiet and when neighbours continue noise after being asked it is not exactly on the right path towards social cohesion.

this is along the same lines as the tradies debate…. if you give them beer and are nice to them they will do a better job.  You are either a nice person ….. or you aren't in my eyes.   If your neighbour has a fair request for less noise then they should be entitled to it.  Especially in my case i had 2 kids under 2 and they still didn't care.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Yes it can go either way but i think you should personaly approach them first. If the first complaint they get is from the police or council. They will instantly hate the neighbours and things might get worse.

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

wait a few weeks, if the bikes are the chinese cheapos they will fall to bits soon
    and be impossible to repair, good luck

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Great reply beaniemonster! I am with you, and appreciate the constructive reply. I hadnt considered council.  If they are inconsiderate enough to ride in a suburban yard regulary, and for hours at a time, knowing dam well their bike is illegal and that they are the ONLY ones around making noise,  (all neighbours are elderly by the way) , then they deserve the same "consideration" they are giving others (none).
    It appears Voig has the same inconsideration. Obviously b/c  he is a bike rider himself and thinks its his right to disturb others, given the fact he commented on doing it delibrately.

Oh, the joys of neighbours…… I had a crazy old lady next door as a kid that put razor blades in her trees and broken glass along fence line to keep passing kids out of her yard…… maybe here's a good opening for "neighbours from hell" stories!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.