All Topics / Help Needed! / Getting Started

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of Morgan BensleyMorgan Bensley
    @morgan-bensley

Hi All,

I want to build a large Real Estate portfilo steadly over the next few years.Currently I'm renting and have my first deposit saved. 

Were do I start? Can anyone recommend a course of action that worked for them?

Do I get an interest only loan and then wait and draw equity again and again?

What is better Commercial or Residential?

Any help would be great thanks.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would suggest IO on all loans as it reduces cashflow enabling you to service more debt. Any spare funds should be diverted to pay off non-deductible debt first.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would suggest IO on all loans as it reduces cashflow enabling you to service more debt. Any spare funds should be diverted to pay off non-deductible debt first.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of KristineKristine
    @kristine

no way dont agree  at all you will never pay the house off if you do that ……….just my opinion

Profile photo of okkamooieokkamooie
    @okkamooie

I agree with Terry.

Interest only non deductable debt first, I would also add to look at deals that allow you to increase your equity faster. i.e. renos, small subdivisions, do stuff yourself, development's.  This will allow you to increase your equity faster and obviously move you to your goals faster.

Good Luck

Don

Profile photo of dekadeka
    @deka

Interest only, Residential Property.  Remember – you can continue renting while you build your property portfolio or you can take advantage of first home buyers' benefits.  Investigate and then act.

Read plenty of books – Jan Somers, Michael Yardney, to name a couple.

Listen to those who have created their own wealth through property investment and have been around the block a few times, not those who have made their money by handing out bad advice via TV programs and then compounded that bad advice by publishing books!

Attend several seminars.  Soon you will find that certain books, seminars and property investors all say the same things.

Key words: buy and never sell ; equity not cashflow

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Kristine wrote:
    no way dont agree  at all you will never pay the house off if you do that ……….just my opinion

I think I.O, with the option to pay down debt as the opportunity arises.
    This way, you get the benefit of better cashflow now, and I think that everyone should be thinking consciously of regular debt reduction and keeping the LVR nice and low; less than 70%.

Profile photo of 888Abundance888Abundance
    Participant
    @888abundance

Hi

As a 1st timer who wants to build an investment portfolio – 2 questions are: what is your level of real or learned experience (have you purchased before, read books, etc)? and what is your comfort level with risk? The best advice from people still needs to be put into context with your situation.

Buying interest only may be good for an experienced investor with some equity and other  back-up, but for a 1st buy at IO where do you have margin to move if interest rates go up.  Might be best to go IO where you can still pay P&I rates, and continue to pay P&I repayments.  If you can't afford P&I repayments what is your risk management plan.  (ie I agree with Marc/LA Aussie about debt reduction).

You need to work out your entry, exit and contingency plans before you make the jump.  Then go for it.

Depending on your deposit, may be best to buy low entry level property with a small mortage first and reduce your initial risk until you develop more experience.

Profile photo of Faulty by natureFaulty by nature
    @faulty-by-nature

i agree with Deka,

it is just as affordable if not more, to rent and use the extra money (rent being less then morgage, rates and insurance) to build wealth thru real estate. because at the end of the day mortgage interest or rent is only dead money anyway.
    as long as you invest the extra money and don't blow it on keeping up with the jones's

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

Try my site, it will help you somewhat…

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree with Terry.  Interest only. 

After a couple of years of hiking the rent up, the rent exceeds the holding costs and the surplus can be used to start chipping away at the principal.  Why would you use money you had to go to a job to acquire to chip away at the principal when you can instead have tenants chip away at it for you in tomorrow's dollars?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I have a preference for interest only on all loans – including PPOR with an offset linked to it.

It provides maximum flexibility for the future in terms of turning a PPOR into an IP and can also help with cashflow and borrowing capacity.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of SMSF101SMSF101
    @smsf101

if you are renting invest first to residential., not that large or extravagant, let us say fair enough to get you out of the curse of paying monthly, then invest on commercial property., God bless

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

I have seen several of our clients add some momentum by doing dual occupancy developments. It's not necessarily at the glamorous end of the property spectrum, but it is often lucrative and has some peripheral benefits.

In terms of financing, there is the benefit of an "inherent asset", that of the existing house. If purchase is made of a property which is big enough to subdivide into two or more allotments while retaining the existing dwelling, then the asset maintains a usefulness that is reflected in the bank's valuation. It also provides income to help with debt servicing. That is to say, even after subdivision of the land, the existing house on its (now smaller) allotment is still a valuable asset.

The figures are usually something like this:

At purchase:

-$500,000 purchase price.

-$50,000 planning and subdivision

After subdivision:

$450,000 value of existing dwelling on smaller land

$250,000 value of newly created allotment

The asset(s) is now worth $700,000, which makes financing of the second dwelling more secure.

After constructing the second dwelling:

-$500,000 purchase price

-$50,000 planning and subdivision

-$200,000 construction costs

$950,000 property value (1 x $450,000, 1 x $500,000)

Net position before adjustments is then $200,000.

It is perhaps something to consider.

$200,000 in capital gains takes a while to accumulate.

Good financial advice will see you get the best out of this type of scenario.

Profile photo of jamesmdawsonjamesmdawson
    Participant
    @jamesmdawson

start with the end in mind , ie if you think you need 200k passive income per year to live on , plan  for that. I would not buy anything if it isnt positive cash flow or has big upsides that can be obtained quickly ie its no point working to support a property for years to find that the upside isnt really there.

Ive been an investor for 30 plus years living from them for about 20 , i retired to byron bay to surf when i was mid thirtys. of course  got bored being retired so kept on investing ! still surfing every day though :)

80% of my properties are commercial , ive bought a few of these no money down , vendor finance etc I recommend u look at comm property. for one thing your not competing with all the people doing the standard res stuff , plus its generally pos cash flow from day one.

If your interested I have a course available on comm property , site will go live in the next few days.

connect with me http://www.facebook.com/jamesdawsonproperty  

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Morgan the type of loan structure will depend on a 101 factors but in the main interest only with a 100% offset account.

Course when you say you have a deposit saved up how much are we talking about?

Remember you don't only need the deposit but the acqusition costs and more than likely the mortgage insurance premium.

Of course very hard to provide specific advice without actual numbers.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Morgan,

Successful property investing is more than just simply buying a property as the property you do buy must fit within an overall plan you have developed which suits your goals and personal situation. 

I would start in the residential area first – mainly because your risks are lower and the amount of deposit you need is lower.  Having said that I do know of people who have been commercial investors all of their investing life and who have done so very successfully.

Typically most commercial investments will require increased financing levels. Sure you can get small office type investment.

In a nutshell there are two types of investment strategies – at the end of the paradigm there are those who invest for cashflow and at the other end there are those who invest for growth. Then there are people pursue a more balanced approach and will try and achieve both cashflow and growth, not necessarily in the one property.

Then there are those who will buy to increase value by sub-dividing, renovating and/or developing.

At this stage I would suggest you work out how your properties will help you to become financially independent as this will largely determine what strategy suits you best.

At the same time I would encourage you to hook up with a broker who can provide you with some guidance about your current borrowing capacity. Once you have this figure in mind then you are able to determine what you can afford, which, in turn, mat determine where you can invest.

Above all – step back and spend some time educating yourself. Read books, peruse forums, maybe grab a coffee with a property investor and so. Takign a bit of time to get yourself ready will be invaluable in the long run.

Profile photo of Muz1983Muz1983
    @muz1983

Hi all.

I have been reading posts on this site for sometime but I am brand new to signing up (about 18 minutes).

I apologize for the change of topic, i hope you guys don't mind…

I am trying to work out how to open a discussion in the forum?  I have some questions etc. but I'm not sure how to get it started…

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Muz.

Profile photo of santhsanth
    @santh

Morgan posted his question in Sept 2007. It would be good to hear if he ever built up a property portfolio.

Nevertheless I still appreciate the advice you have all given as I am in a similar situation. Just scoping the scene at the moment nervously holding back from plunging into the scary property market haha. I am always assuming the worst. Especially seeing as tenants don't always look after your asset.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Santh,

Good pick up – the new website must have bumped the thread and then Jac ran with it and we all followed :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.