All Topics / General Property / Toowoomba QLD etc info please

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

HI. Just wondering if anyone has any experience and or opinions on Toowoomba, Qld, and some of the outlying areas within 10 min or so (ie Oakey, etc) Parts you would not buy to live in? Areas that are considered better as opposed to …ah….shall we say areas of a rougher nature. Recent growth? Is the city /area generally going OK or is it 'doom and gloom' or somewhere in between? Appreciate any opionions or info from locals or investores. Thanks Heaps!

Profile photo of Stella1258Stella1258
    @stella1258

We looked at Toowoomba a few months ago. At that time there were heaps of vacancies around so we moved onto another area.
    Friends in Toowoomba told us East Toowoomba is one of the better along with Eastern Heights, Centenary Heights, Kearney Spring & around that area, basically anywhere east of the park (Queens Park I think it was called?) and East of Ruthven St is ok.

We were advised to stay away from Harlaxton (especially the streets named after alcohol varieties!), Rockville and parts of Wilsonton.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Stella

Profile photo of PiranerPiraner
    @piraner

With the lack of water in Toowoomba and the future use of recycled sewerage, it has been renamed poo-woomba, locals are moving out and thus the market is flodded with properties, but on the bright side any property near the Uni or hospital will do well.

Cheers

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Thanks Stella and Piraner. Great info, and I appreciate your time replying . As a sidepoint what is wrong with a street named after alcohol? I reckon 'Jim Beam Boulevarde' would have a great ring to it……
    Cheers :-)

Profile photo of Stella1258Stella1258
    @stella1258
    v8ghia wrote:
    As a sidepoint what is wrong with a street named after alcohol? I reckon 'Jim Beam Boulevarde' would have a great ring to it……
    Cheers :-)

We agreed & looked with great enthusiasm at those streets (there is a whole estate of these names) but unfortunately it appeared the residents all suffered from a 'condition', possibly brought about by alcohol….

Obviously I am generalising here & have no wish to offend anyone. There may well be many people not affected by these street names who are wonderful people.

Cheers
    Stella

Profile photo of apanaapana
    Participant
    @apana

My friends bought investment properties in Toowoomba.

The use of recycled sewerage was NOT voted by the people, thus it will not go ahead. Lack of water — yes, but it is more of the trend in the whole of SEQ.

The price of properties in Toowoomba is still relatively affordable. But rental vacancy is relatively high at present. Finding a house that is currently tenanted (and tenant willing to continue renting) may be a good strategy.

The growth is declining or stagnant in some suburbs (and some people sees opportunities here).

There are new shopping centres near Hume St and Stenner St, near the area where the existing K-mart and Harvey Norman complex. I'm looking at properties at Darling Heights (near the Uni), which is about 2km from these developments.

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

I think Toowoomba is go go go…house prices in Brissie and surrounds are pushing prices up everywhere and when you look at the facilities of Toowoomba, you can't go wrong. I had a contract on a 4br simple renter for 189,000, but fell through on finance…too much X-Coll…good buying!

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

Hi there
    If you are buying as an owner occupier – I agree that Toowoomba is good value – not so good as an investor.  I have had to recently drop rentals to get tenants into properties and with the continued land developments in the area – there definately is an oversupply.
    The water issue is definately a concern but wouldn't have caused people to leave town – all it means is everyone is buying water tanks – and every new development has to address the water issue.
    We are definately looking elsewhere for our next investment and are looking particularly around the Sunshine Coast
    thanks

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Thanks again for the extra replies. Ta :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.