All Topics / Legal & Accounting / A ball of flames!! Legal Advice sought Property in QLD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

Hey,

Im a young, inexperienced investor who has recently become the subject of a claim of litigation from a tenant. While this claim is very ambitious and I believe ungrounded it appears it will cost the earth(everything I have) just to defend it.

This is not my only problem, after receiving the claim. I appointed a solicitor who came highly recommended. Now I feel as if the solicitor isnt what one could call 'pro-active' and sometimes I wonder if he is working for me or himself(drawing out the process to maximise fees-expensive fees).

As stated previously I am young, New and inexperienced and I feel it is easy for sharks to spot this flailing fish and take advantage. This is my main concern.

If anyone has come up against litigation, preferably in QLD(I understand the laws vary between states) and knows of a great property solicitor who is assertive and knows what they are doing please can you recommend.

Any comments, recommendations will be very well received.
    I would love to have a chat to someone who may have gone through this process before.

Regards
    Mick

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

You don't say whether you have insurance.  If you have insurance you should refer this straightaway to your insurance company.

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I dont have insurance coverage for this.

Id love to discuss it more but as its in its infancy Id like to leave the details out of a public forum. Other than the claimant alleges negligence on my part and that of the RE manager, not much more can be said.

-Provide housing for the those in a 'lower demographic' and you will get these people – One of the lessons this claim has taught me so far.

Regards
    Mick

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

It appears after contacting my solicitor again that I am unwarranted in my concerns in regard to him.

The case as previously stated is ambitious and while still a concern it will be difficult for them(tenants/solicitor) to carry this through as there very little to support such a claim.

Thanks for reading, Id still love to hear from anyone that has gone through this before(litigation). And in the future Id love to share the intricate details of this experience if for no other gain than assisting others.

Regards
    Mick

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

i have land lords insurance (and i would duck for cover behind my property manager from a large chain )
    and i love doing maintenance on my properties .love love love
    and i have lots of debt so no point suing me (till i am old )
    cheers and good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.