All Topics / Help Needed! / Swimming Pools

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Da ManDa Man
    @da-man

Am looking at an IP which has a large backyard. 

It also has a swimming pool (concrete) which is empty and has significant cracking in it. 

Anybody have any experience in how you might be able to "fill in" the pool and where I might be able to read up on likely costs etc?

It is the only issue with the place and I need to do my sums as to whether it is a deal breaker or not!

Profile photo of vyaw2003vyaw2003
    Participant
    @vyaw2003

jamie jurie filled in a pool on back yard blitz once.  it thought he was an idot for doing it.

But it might be even easier and cheaper and add value to fix it.  Cemete cracks should be easily patched, black jacked and then sealed with waterever finish you choose.
    You havnt mentioned if the pump and colriator are still attached if they are, apart from the water, it should not cost you more than $2000 to get it repaired.
    You said it was already a big backyard so there is no real need to fill it in?
    ps. put a diving board or a slippy slide on it

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

personally, I would get a quote from a licensed pool builder after he has sighted the pool, as a crack could be structural.. they could let you know of the condition of chlorinator, pump etc & any potential outlay required there also.  good luck

Profile photo of Da ManDa Man
    @da-man

Thanks for your comments.  The place is heading for a mortgagee auction and has essentially been stripped bare.  No filtration or other associated equipment – just an empty concrete pool, with cracks. 

From an IP perspective, I assumed (perhaps erroneously) that having a swimming pool in a tenanted property would be more trouble than it is worth (in terms of mainatenance etc).  What do people think?

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

if your concerned about maintenance, get a pool man to come regularly and service it, then you know if you repair it your money has been well spent, and of course, it adds to your maintenance deductions, as will the new plant to your depreciation schedule!  With summer coming up it could be the decider between someone taking your place or not, especially if the pool is maintained.

Profile photo of rudolphrudolph
    @rudolph

Hi

Stay with your original idea.
    Pools are a maintanence and insurance nightmare for rental properties.
    Toy can build a deck over the pool but tis will need a small submersible pump to get rid of surplus water that will get trapped. Otherwise you would need to break up the bottom to allow the water to escape otherwise it would slowly turn the soil sour once it is filled in.  Check out your local earthmovers or building sites nearby as they often have soil to dispose of at a reduced rate if it can be taken directly to your site.
    rudolph
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.