All Topics / Help Needed! / Corner blocks – new estate

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of CNCN
    Participant
    @cn

Why are the corner blocks cheaper? Seems like noone really likes the corner blocks, i guess when resell later on there wont be much capital growth?

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Corner blocks can be a bonus for a duplex. You have the driveways on seperate streets giving a more seperated feeling.

Profile photo of jsawtelljsawtell
    Participant
    @jsawtell

Don't mean to hijack thread, but good points.

I would be very interested to know more.  I just bought our PPOR on a corner block.  House is set back so we are going to build a boundary fence to create a side/front yard and reclaim a yard and allows for a pool.

On a second note I would like opinions – does a front fence/gate add/subtract value of a property?  House is 2 storeys

CN wrote:
    Why are the corner blocks cheaper? Seems like noone really likes the corner blocks, i guess when resell later on there wont be much capital growth?
    Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

i love mine ! one less neighbour and two more car spots
    i get about 40m of council land making my block appear bigger too (street appeal )
    and really cool development opportunities if i can buy next door down the track due to two street access (s t c a)
    i had a friend in canada who bemoaned the fact he had to shovel two lengths of side walk
    my house is up high on a quiet sreet  so i dont have headlight issues or fear drunk drivers failing to negotiate a bend
    cant think of any negatives  (other than the snow)

Profile photo of ianvestorianvestor
    @ianvestor

smechanic, depending on your fencing, a negative might be that you don't actually have a 'back' yard. Or if you do have one, it wouldn't be as private with a street running down alongside it.

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido
    CN wrote:
    Why are the corner blocks cheaper? Seems like noone really likes the corner blocks, i guess when resell later on there wont be much capital growth?

Yes, they are generally less popular especially in newer estates.

Some of the negatives are …

– Feeling of less privacy / security (i.e. "exposed")
    – Generally along a road
    – Much more nature strip to take landscape / maintain
    – Less people to share fencing costs with
    – Regarded as bad "feng shui"

Of course, there are people who don't mind the above in return for slightly lower prices.

Profile photo of CNCN
    Participant
    @cn

Thanks guys, some very good points

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.