All Topics / General Property / Asbestos in a buikding inspection

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of PembiPembi
    @pembi

Asbestos ???
    Has anyone come across this before ?
    Is there legislation about it in NSW .
    Does t need to be removed or can it be left in the building ?
    I would really appreciate any advice.
    Cheers for now,
    Rod

Profile photo of hallghallg
    @hallg

Hi, I managed a renovation project in my role at work early this year. We had a report done prior to starting and it showed up Asbestos in 2 places in the building. As we didn’t have to do any demolition in the areas that contained Asbestos, we just left it in place and painted it. I’m in Vic and I’m not sure what the law actually says here, but I would have thought our building inspector would have made us remove it if we had to. So I assume a report here only becomes an issue if you start to disturb the asbestos in its current position? Others may know better and about NSW.

Hallg

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

asbestos is in EVERY house built before 1985.

The eaves are asbestos and also the walls in wet areas.

sometimes the roof might be made from it, sometimes all walls and ceilings are also made from it.

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools
    crashy wrote:
    asbestos is in EVERY house built before 1985.

That is a gross generalisation. My house was built in 1912, and there is no asbestos in it at all.

Tools

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

paint it  and leave it .i have two and live in one myself.cheers

Profile photo of Cath WoodCath Wood
    Participant
    @cath-wood

I have done a couple of relocated houses, so have come up against the asbestos thing myself.

The generally accepted wisdom is that asbestos is safer if it is left undisturbed. So if you have asbestos in your house, and you do not have to remove it, it's better to just leave it rather than removing it just because it is asbestos.

It's dangerous when it's cut or damaged, which is why you have already been advised to paint it. If it's painted, any loose fibres found around damaged areas are sealed in.

If you need to remove it, you need to wear the correct protective gear, including a mask rated appropriately. You shouldn't use power tools at all, which disperses fibres all over the place – do it by hand. All asbestos needs to be wrapped in black plastic and taped shut, then taken to the tip, where you notify them it's asbestos. As far as I can make out, they then shovel it into a hole with a dozer of some kind, busting open the plastic and spreading asbsestos fibres everywhere.

Our council requires any buildings coming into the shire to have the asbestos removed beforehand, and I did one of those. It was a big job.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.