All Topics / Help Needed! / Vacant house in NZ -HELP me get a tennant please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of KristineKristine
    @kristine

Hi My 4 bedroom house in Invercargill has been vacant for longer then a month i am getting nervous now…can any one suggest where i should advertise the PM is advertising in the local paper i have had 1 bite and thats all but they had a really bad credit rating so i let them slide…..hmmm any suggestions would be appreciated do you think there is a problem there i hope the market isnt flooded with to many rentals has anyone else had any problems like this if so how long was your property vacant for??

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi Kristine,

The rental market is quite strong in Invercargill at the moment so I'm surprised your property has been vacant for so long. This could mean a couple of things:

1) The rent is too high

2) The property isn't what tenants are looking for.

Is the property presented well/clean? Does it have good heating? 

Can I ask which PM you are using?

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Drop the rent, and don't dismiss people with bad credit history. They sometimes need a second chance.

If you feel nervous about their ability to pay, put them on a month-to-month lease and assess them each month. Let them know that they are under observation; sort of like a probation period, and if they do well then offer them a more permanent lease after say, a 6 month period.

Profile photo of KristineKristine
    @kristine

southland agent Leeann she is real nice and help full…it is a old house and has a double open fire place the carpets in a few rooms are a bit old has a carport its in Appleby..bathroom is dated and laundry maybe some renos are needed i am thinking of polishing floor boards but worried it may make home colder what do you think any suggestions would be great

@kristine

ohhhh rent is $160 i thought that was a fair price maybe i have to knock it down hmmmm what do you think??

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi Kristine,

I also own a 3 bdr in Appleby. It too is dates, but liveable. I have old carpet throughout which needs to be replaced soon. The am currently getting $150pw. Used to be $140pw until a recent rent increase 3 months ago. Ripping the carpet out and having timber floors might get a bit cold, especially during winter.

I would speak to your PM and try find out why it isn't renting. Ask her what tenants are looking for in rentals and you should be able to work out what your property needs. But a simple rent decrease may solve the problem.

Regards,
    Ozi

@kristine

woooooo hooooo i am happy now i have a applicant for my property thanks for the comments but what worked was a add on trademe highly recommend to others expensive but well worth the $49 fee for NZ houses that is

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.