All Topics / General Property / sick of greedy plumbers & electricians

Viewing 10 posts - 281 through 290 (of 290 total)
  • Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

cuteyoungchic is right… the posts are by someone else on page 13…

Profile photo of OceanArchitecturalOceanArchitectural
    @oceanarchitectural

Ah, my apologies, youre right. I was reading fast and made an incorrect assumption. You could have just let me know that someone else wrote it instead of yelling, cuteyoungchick. Thanks nguli :)

(hmpf. so much for property investors being a level headed crew. bunch of psychos. rawr!)

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Wow… Talk about a heated debate in here!

As investors, I guess it all comes down to what you value more

Money or Time?

Would you rather try to do the job yourself to save a few bucks, and risk blotching things up?

Or would you rather hire a professional who can do the job property in a timely manner?

Personally, for me it depends on the job

If its something simple like fixing a leaking tap, I'd prefer to just spend a few dollars to replace the valve myself

But if it was a more complicated job, which requires a lot more time and some bigger tools, I would hire a professional

Profile photo of merrycmerryc
    @merryc

It’s called a marketplace people. Instead of getting annoyed then shop around the same as you do for anything else. If you are not happy with the quality or value you get from a tradie then go onto the Internet at sites like true local and let people know about it.

If you can’t find another tradesman because you bought a property in Port Hedland to cash in on high rents then you need to do better due diligence.

You choose not to buy a Gaggenau oven for your IP because it’s too expensive, but everyone knows it’s good quality. If you get a good tradie then expect to pay.

And, Rich Sparky, if even half of what you say you earn/ own is true then people should be congratulating your entrepreneurial qualities. I’m a surgeon on nearly double what you say you make and I haven’t done nearly as well as you have! Congrats!

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm

Alot of people here deserve to be ripped off, not once, twice! And for double.

I've heard this cry many times before, if your cant see how to bring the costs of work down and dont make friends, then you deserve to pay the premium through the nose.

Alot of people are narrow minded, thinking that tradesmen to a professional are two totally different things, its funny how if you  see some doctors or solicitors to some builders, they think were worth nothing, like others have said bout a $350 dollar an hour solicitor is worth it. But you see its the builders who get all the money, you may be a professional, but think about it, you buy a house (1 loss), you pay a builder to rebuild your house (2 losses), now they builder is probably doing another 2 or 3 houses? that means when you think your all that talking down to onsite guys or whinging on prices, by the time he finished all 3 dwellings, he buys 2 more properties outright.

we have one guy that comes in to our shop that owns out right 35+ houses. No debt there, he over priced a house to build by $250,000 (1.5m built) because he didnt want the job, and he got it. And the best part of it all, he some times picks up materials from our yard in continential bentley 4 door sedan, cement in the back no worries.  So some of your dont think for a second that tradies are scum and arent worth there value.  Everyone knows there money in bricks and mortar.

Profile photo of Clinton45Clinton45
    Participant
    @clinton45

I agree Perth is out of control for tradies. I just go a qoute for my  home and for the life of me can't figure out the justification for the price. I am thinking of getting out of the office job and on the road with a ute.

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi all,

I’d like to add my 2 cents worth.

Personally, I have one handyman who does all the work for me – except properties inter-state. He is wonderful, kind, and does what he promises to do ON BUDGET and ON TIME. And he knows my properties inside out, this is important to me.

Second, it does costs money to run a business. The bigger the business, the costlier it gets. My handyman charges “lower” than most because he’s a lone ranger. Pays no salary, and lower overheads.

Let us never assume that if a tradie ask for $20K, that all of this goes to his pocket. Likely, not. So if you want lower costs, use the same person all the time, and make sure he is a lone ranger.

Maybe I’m wrong – but it works for me.

Take care all,

Angel

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888
    Rich Sparky wrote:
    Ohhhhh… Sorry forgot to tell you the best part! I'm only 25! Most of my mates are still in uni & where bagging me leaving school at 15 to start my apprenticeship.. Now I have properties & drive a porsche which they are still living at home… I have just got my builders license & am in the process of setting up my next business so I can semi retire by 30. So please in future think before you open your big mouth & put a profession down! Good luck with the investing :)

Where the hell do you work Sparky?  I have never seen rates like the ones you quoted so are curious.  We had some work done for us during renovation and the sparkies seemed very good and no complaints with either the work or the cost.

However, the tiler had to be supervised otherwise he would have laid chipped tiles and left the decorative line of tiles at a lower surface height than all the others (wtf??).  We did all our own tiling previously so were somewhat horrified by such lack of care. 

Then I made the terrible mistake of not staying during the entire install of the kitchen and they stuffed the benchtop which has never been fixed.  Oh, and the owner who installed the plantation shutters did it visibly crooked.  We complained and he did come back and correct it which was good.

All the tradesment from the two previous houses 20 and 10 years ago seemed to do a good job so we were appalled at the lack of care in these three.

We did not hunt for the cheapest quote but from now on we will definitely check out the tradesmen much more closely before hiring.  We would rather wait for a good tradie and pay a bit more if necessary than get someone who is too lazy to do the job right the first time.

Participant
    @boshy888

Oh, and the plumber was ok. One slightly crooked pipe but nothing to complain about.

Participant
    @boshy888
    sapphire101 wrote:

Anyway, I now have found tradesmen that do the job for the right costs and this is at properties hundreds of kms from where I live. They are out there and a good handyman can do everything bar the elect and plumbing for $30per hr. including changing a light bulb.

$30 an hour  means that handyman is getting ripped off if he is a contractor.  Factor in insurance, tools, car costs, fuel, advertising –  $30 doesn't cut it – he isprobably really working for only $15 an hour at the most.  Most lawnmowing men charge far more than that and they need to, to survive.  Most trades seem to work for something between $60 and $110 per hour in our neck of the woods.  I am happy to pay $45 for the plumber to go chang a washer or redo the filter in the shower if it means I don't have to listen to my partner gripe about having to do repairs.  He is a great handyman himself but is quite over it after all these years.

Viewing 10 posts - 281 through 290 (of 290 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.