All Topics / Finance / Am I borrowing too much?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hey All!

I hope everyone is well.

I have found a nice apartment that I want to fix up.

In regards to finance – i just want to know if im over borrowing.

Heres where I'm at:

My after tax income is $2874 per month.

I have a line of credit through my folks where by I am taking 20% (60k) of the purchase price of the property which is in total 300k.

I am then borrowing the remaining 80% (240k) as a normal loan. I have 10k in cash and I am getting the FHOG.

My repayments if i were to borrow 300k will be $2034 a month. Excluding any input from my own cash into the loan. (I know im going to have stamp duty etc).

I will not move straight into the apartment as Im fixing it up (my folks are helping me financially for this and im paying them back when I sell). But when its complete I will be living there,

Unfortunately its an auction which i guess could be good for me or bad. I will not over bid at all and i'm still talking to family friends as to what is the max i should pay for the propery which may not even be 300k.

I should also point out that in 5 months I am getting a pay increase and will have an extra 400 net in my pocket per month (this pay increase is gauranteed).

I dont have any debt or loans.

So basically I want to know if I am over extending myself. The property is perfect for me to do up as I have many contacts as builders etc (my dad is a builder)… and i'll be doing the work myself.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or critisism.

Cheers

Profile photo of lifesjourneylifesjourney
    Participant
    @lifesjourney

Hi Dj_seik,

Have you spoken to a Mortgage broker? You may be able to physically afford the loan repayments, but banks use a formula to work out what they think you can afford based on cost of living for you and your circumstances.(their formula) v's income.

Regarding Reno: Heard Steve Mckinght say something like: "Do you have an value in todays dollars of what the property will be worth after renovations regardless of whether market goes up or down? Work on a worse case cenario. "

Mortgage broker best option to see what the banks are after and how to best prepare so you are in a more favourable positon to be approved for laon.

All the best, Matt

Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hey Matt,

Thanks for that.

The only other issue I have is the auction has to be unconditional. So whilst I can get a pre approval – the actual approval wont occur until i actually buy the property and the bank does an evaluation on it.

Is there anyway i can ensure its fully approved prior to auction? So i can bid unconditionally?

Cheers

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Regretfully not as the eventual bid price is still to be determined.

Certainly you can get a valuation of the property and no doubt your broker will do that but it means nothing if you decide to bid a little higher to secure it.

Matt is correct it is not a matter of you being confortable with the loan repayments but more of a matter whether the finance meets the square box of the average lender.

How long will you be living in the property before you sell it  ? This could have a bearing on your stamp duty concession and FHOG eligibility.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.  So I should be able to get the finance finalised prior to auction – depending of course on the final bid?

I will be living in the property for a minimum of 3 years. I will be doing it up and so it should be pretty sweet once im finished hence i'll want to stay there :)

Im sorry I dont understand what you mean by : "square box of the average lender."

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.