All Topics / Help Needed! / What to do re 10% when Borrowing 95% Value?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Da ManDa Man
    @da-man

Hi guys,

Just a question re financing for a PPOR. 

As per a recent post, I am purchasing an IP, but having considered advice from a few people and doing some more research, have concluded that it is better for me to borrow 95% of the value of the IP, maximise the tax deduction and then use, the "extra 5%" I have in cash to reduce my debt on my PPOR. 

Question – and apologies if this is idiotic! If the vendor wants 10% deposit, how can I implement this if I'm borrowing 95% of the value? COnfused! Any tips on the "mechanics" would be greatly appreciated!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Ask the selling agent if the Vendor will accept a Deposit Bond for 10% instead.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of cbellesinicbellesini
    Participant
    @cbellesini

The vendor shouldn't care if you only put down 5% as the money only sits in trust and they are not paid until settlement. The deposit is simply security. If they have a problem explain why you are doing it and how by only putting 5% deposit the house you are buying from them is more affordable. It's Win win so get that message across!

Profile photo of Stella1258Stella1258
    @stella1258

When we brought our IP the agent said something like " I guesss you'll be borrowing most of this?" & I replied with 'yeah pretty much' & was about to write a chq for 10% (or try to negotiate $500 initial deposit with the balance of 5% on approval) when the agent throws in 'well how about $100 deposit?" & the balance at settlement? He didn't even try to get anymore $ out of us when unconditional (finance approved etc).

We nearly fell over but happily kept the balance of what should have been the deposit in our a/c for the next 30 days – a win for our bank a/c without even trying!

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.