All Topics / General Property / renovations=capital gains or positive cashflow?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Baby@InvestingBaby@Investing
    Participant
    @baby-investing

Hi everybody.

I have heard that some people are investing and carrying out minor renovations then selling them in a short period of time. Is that classified as capital gains or positive cashflow?

The reason i ask is because they said to me it was positive cashflow,but to me + cashflow comes from rent? I am confused. Please educate me!

Profile photo of Charlie MFSCharlie MFS
    Participant
    @charlie-mfs

Hi

Yes Positive Case Flow comes from your rental income.  Rent – expenses = cash flow

Sharlene
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds just like a business selling a commodity, which is houses in this case. I guess they mean they have positive cashflow because they are making a profit.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of SwifteagleSwifteagle
    Participant
    @swifteagle

How are u all?

I guess what many people are doing is doing renos, getting some capital and then moving into buying properties that are going to give them +cashflow as the LVR  is lower because the are using less borrowed money!

Any one agrees with me?

Take care.
    Hope this can help.

Profile photo of the_maddogthe_maddog
    @the_maddog

HI Baby@investing,

I heard something similar at a Martin Ayles Seminar. I think it comes down to how the taxation department interpret the earnings. For example, lets say you are renovating on or two properties per year on a part time basis, this would definitely be classified as capital gains as it is not you primary source of income. On the other hand, if you were full time renovating and doing, lets say 10 properties per year, then this could be deemed to be your primary occupation/business and therefore it is viewed as income.

A good accountant should be able to cover this in more depth though.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.