All Topics / Help Needed! / Help Lenders Mortgage Insurance

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Hello

I just received my home loan agreement from Westpac.  I have a $320,000 on 95% borrowings on a property in Melbourne, they are charging me $7800 LMI

I find this strange becasue only last year I purchased a property same everything in except through RAMS and it is in Queensland and I only paid $4300 LMI

Can someone please make sense of this.. it is nearly double?

Should I shop around?  are they ripping me off?  has LMI rates gone up???

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi there

Each State has its own Stamp duty on LMI premiums but that would be a negligble difference.

Also each lender has its own scales so your MB should shop around for you to see what rate they can get.

The LMI With Westpac is about right for a 95% LVR and i think your figure for RAMS maybe incorrect.
    The premium of $4300 sounds more like a 90% LVR.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi. Some lenders structure the loan in a way that keeps LMI to a mininum which always helps. However there is a big jump in LMi premiums once you hit the magic 300k price point. So If you other property was slightly under or only slighlty over the 300k that may be part explanation for you.

Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Hi Richard

The Queensland property was at 95% purchase price was $335000 and loan was for $318000

Am I being resonable asking my broker to shop around?  does that mean the loan can stay with Westpac still???

What is your professional opinion?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

No if he stays with Westpac you are unable to dictate who they use as their LMI provider.

As i say i dont want to dispute what you say but feel the RAMS premium is incorrect.

Some lenders also vary the premium if the loan is IO or P & I but not to that extent.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

I am surprised your M.B. did not at least provide you with an estimate prior to the application but agree with Richard re the Rams LMI

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.