All Topics / Heads Up! / What is everyones issue with Jenman?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of pinknic20pinknic20
    @pinknic20

Just wondering if somebody could explain properly what Neil Jenman does that puts everyone off i have read a lot about him bad mouthing others but what does he sell or do that is wrong?

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

He wrote a thought provoking couple of books, and is/has been a great advocate in many ways for the underdog, and in helping eliminate or expose a lot of shonky practices – particularly as far as real estate agents go. Like anyone that gets publicity, that can go to the head and make someone self important, or even alter the original goals or 'mission' that person may have had. While Neil is not afraid to speak out, and use that lack of fear to help with people that have been ripped of etc in real estate, he appears to have got to the stage where he enjoys tearing down, without offering anything to replace what he has torn down. For example, anyone that has achieved any sort of success or 'wealth' from investing, unless it was buy and hold or by accident during the last boom MUST have done it by ripping others off is the idea that he seems to convey. Each to their own, but when you are in the public spotlight, and critisising so many others, even resorting to name calling and persoanl attacks rather than constructive critisim or helpful facts it wears very thin, and seems 'tabloidy' rather than anything else. He has a few ideas that have alienated real estate agents, and others have embraced them. However, that number is rapidly diminishing, and appears to be now that unless you pay him what is essentially a very high franchise fee to prove you are an 'honest agent' you are not one……..the high fees and what can at times be fanatical bull at the gate approach to things is now turning many away in droves. THERE…..that's a brief sidelines synopsis for you. Draw your own conclusions!…

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Yeah I'm afraid that smug self-righteous attitude of his gets up my nose. I think he just likes to get on telly these days.  I do not believe that Jenman real estate agents are more or less honest than any other group.  Call me a cynic but I reckon the 'honest jenman agent's" is just another marketing tool to get you to use his agents.

Ok I get that he stands up for the underdog that got ripped off but frankly I think anyone who spends thousands on seminars in the hope of getting some 'secret' inside info on how to get rich quick are nuts.  I recall my father often saying ' a fool and his money are soon parted'.

Profile photo of pinknic20pinknic20
    @pinknic20

thanks for the insight

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Milly,
    being smug  and self-righteous is very annoying I agree, but if Neil Jenman can save even one family from a property scam then I want him to be as big a pain in the arse as possible.
    I also agree that he is out there trying to raise his profile, but I think you'll find that his motivation for doing so is more to raise awareness of the dodgy practices going on in the industry that cost us money than to make money for himself. Of course; he won't knock back any extra dollars that come his way in the process I'm sure, and good luck to him.
    I liken him to Derryn Hinch in his heyday; outspoken, arrogant, annoying, sometimes wrong and impetuous, but saved a lot of kids from further child abuse.

Here's a recent post on Neil's site that may help to balance the view a bit:-

FOXES REWARDED FOR CHICKEN PROTECTION
    Agent protectors are NOT consumer protectors.
    by Tim O’Dwyer

WHEN Neil Jenman sent me a clipping of The Courier Mail's report on the 2007 winner of the Queensland Office of Fair Trading's TradeSmart Award, he added a frank warning. “Make sure you have a bucket ready," he said, "because this'll make you want to spew."

I was more dismayed than sickened to read how Fair Trading Minister Margaret Keech had announced the Real Estate Institute of Queensland had received one of her department's Consumer Protection Awards. These awards, said the Minister, recognised some of the state's most innovative programs aimed at "promoting the rights of Queensland consumers".

According to Fair Trading, the TradeSmart Award is intended to recognise achievement by a business, company or association in "promoting consumer protection".

Why on earth would the REIQ be achieving anything other than its commendable promotion of agents' services and protection of agents' rights?

No wonder Neil's bucket warning. Talk about foxes being rewarded for chicken protection!

The REIQ says it "exists" to support member agents with information, products and resources to complement their business practices. Fair enough, but I wonder about the REIQ's assertion that this ensures "professional service for the public". Yet the REIQ says it also "supports the community".

How?

By providing relevant industry information about buying and selling property.

Well, you can fool some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time and, it seems, the Office of Fair Trading every time.

Naturally enough the REIQ was feeling, in the words of its managing director Dan Molloy, "pretty proud" about receiving a consumer protection gong for establishing an accredited agency program.

"Proactive programs like these, run by industry, encourage stronger consumer confidence in the market place," enthused the Minister. Not that stronger consumer confidence equates with better protection.

Molloy explained that the institute wanted to raise the bar for the industry. (How low had the bar dropped beforehand, one might ask.) Improved "professional standards" would be widely recognised and publicly acknowledged.

How?

Accredited agencies would be identifiable by their use of accreditation logos ("a visual safeguard to help consumers make informed and confident choices").

Last year Molloy's predecessor, Don McKenzie, unashamedly revealed that the bottom line was really to "motivate consumers to always use an REIQ accredited agency".

Have agents' standards improved? Is the public better served? Are consumers any better protected?

Gold Coast District Law Association president and Queensland Law Society councillor Ted Skuse speaks for most conveyancing solicitors when he says agents' preparation of contracts and other documents remains "lamentable".

Skuse also points to common failings by many agents:

* Not giving consumers genuine opportunities to obtain independent legal advice and representation.
    * Not completing contracts fully and accurately.
    * Not collecting reasonable deposits.
    * Not understanding the impact of GST on property transactions.
    * Late posting of signed contracts to solicitors, often after the expiry of cooling-off and other time limits.

The Office of Fair Trading, in giving the award, confused improving customer service standards with consumer protection. The REIQ has no mandate from its members for consumer protection. That is Fair Trading's function.

So it was a sad day when the Fair Trading Minister counted the REIQ among "Queensland's best consumer advocates".

Helping real estate consumers confidently make informed choices (about which agents to use) hardly equates with consumer advocacy which involves standing up and speaking out for consumers.

Meanwhile, don't hold your breath on one of Australia's most passionate consumer advocates – Neil Jenman – receiving a Fair Trading Award.

His promotion and defence of consumer rights has necessitated not only criticising self-serving organisations like the REIQ but also tipping a bucket on lame governments, misguided ministers and misled regulators.

Tim O’Dwyer is a Queensland solicitor
    [email protected]

This article appeared in The Courier Mail in August 2007. Reprinted at the suggestion of the writer.

Profile photo of nigel348nigel348
    @nigel348

Ageed, when I first heard him speak, I was all for the support of the "underdog" and saving people from scams. 

I've seen too many people lose their money on Scams and Propery Seminars which is better off  on actual investing for future.

Cheers
    Nigel

Profile photo of Leo ChekhovLeo Chekhov
    @leo-chekhov

Here's another side to the bloke. Not sure what to make of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxIvGuiAPA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.