All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Holland

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on the forums has had experience investing in holland/netherlands (renovating, developing, etc)? And if so, whether you'd be willing to share your experiences.

Cheers

Dave.

Profile photo of sambarhoundsambarhound
    @sambarhound

hi guys

dave is my brother. I am in Holland for the next two weeks. I asked him to post for me  but have since  got access myself.

An exciting chapter has started in my life. I have fallen in love with a beautiful Dutch woman who is currently studying medicine in Holland. We explored the options of completing the study in Australia but it was not going to be the best option. And so the interest in PI in Holland.

I am looking to relocate to  Holland for 3 years at the end of this year or early 2008. I started property investing recently with my bother in law and my brother dave  in Victoria and am more than keen to explore the opportunities in investing in property in Holland.

I was hoping that someone is either doing it here or knows of someone investing in property here. Who knows. I may turn up a whole new market for Aussie property investors in Holland???  Any info will be greatly appreciated.

regards

John

@sambarhound

I take it that no replies means no one in australia on PI is investing in holland??? I will investigate and get back to you. I am sure there are plenty of opportunities…….17 million in a country the size of Victoria….supply n demand

john

Profile photo of waterwater
    @water

Hi

I have read on this forum before that the laws in Holland are not favorable to the Landlord. Sure that doesn't help much but if you look in the archive you might be able to find the post that i am talking about. Otherwise i think it was elkam that wrote about it…???

@sambarhound

thanks birddog. Gsp's or english pointers?? Or something different? I will look in the archive and find the posts.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello John

Sorry not to have answered before.

Yes the laws in the Netherlands are heavily skewed in favour of the tenant. Many, maybe even most people rent here but the housing is mostly supplied by housing corporations. 

I have not spent time looking into investing in residential property because I saw the problems my husband had with his residential investments. If you have a local tenant in your property it's almost as if you don't own it any more though you are obliged to maintain it. 

There is definitely a shortage of student accommodation and this is safer as sooner or later the student moves on. However I am not sure of the returns and it's a very work intensive investment. I think here much more so than in Australia if you want to keep your property in tact.

The other residential investment that is safer is ex pat accommodation.

Before you jump in do LOTS of DD and don't assume anything works as it does in Australia. The first thing to check is if interest on the mortgage is tax deductible. The interest on the mortgage for your own home is tax deductible but I have the idea that may not be on a res. investment property but am not 100% sure.

Where will you be living in the Netherlands? 

Good luck with your stay and have fun. 
    Elka    

@elkam

P.S. It may be worth looking into buy/reno/sell maybe?  
    There is no CGT to be paid here if you buy in your own name and not a company name.If you do this once it should be tax free.
    What they have here is an assets tax of 1.5% per year. 

@sambarhound

Thanks Elkam. DD  is something I believe in. Also learning from others mistakes. I am sure of one thing. It is so much fun doing something new. Challenging , yes. But interesting for sure. Variety is the spice of life.

At the moment I am in Leiden. Sophie's folks are in Zoetemeer. It is really an interesting place. I can see heaps of potential. I have just begun my due diligence and cant wait to get my teeth stuck into PI  in Holland.

Will be in touch for sure.

regards

john

@sambarhound

Can anyone help me out with a contact for a Dutch accountant who is involved in property management?? Or anyone who is actually doing it in Holland……..property investing , that is!!! They do all sorts of interesting things over here

regards

john

@sambarhound

Hi Elkam

are you currently living in holland. Would love to catch up for a coffee n chat re PI in holland, or a beer!! It seems the dutch are rather fond of both

regards

john

@elkam

Hello John

I have sent you a PM.

Would you consider starting a thread called something like DD in Holland or post your DD efforts/progress on this thread much in the same way as Jase and Flic are documenting their first reno project?. It would not only be a good record for you and a great read for us but you might even get some good suggestions and advice from the experienced investors here.

Cheers
    Elka  

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.