All Topics / Opinionated! / No more bottled water and take away coffee?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of waterwater
    @water

So would a recession mean no more bottled water and take away coffee?

Might seem trivial but i see these as everyday excesses? Others might disagree? What do you think?
    I have never been through a recession before and have no idea what to expect… less people with new cars? Less people going on holiday? Less People with all new furniture?

Any insight would be great.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

I remember in the eightees when the news kept saying that we are in a recession. Nothing changed (my parents were investors) except for the fact that that period was labelled as a "recession".

If you are cashed up and ready it should be the best time to buy properties!

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Depends on your focus.
    Recession or not, we don't buy take-away coffees (one coffee in the morning with breakfast, and thermos while out on the road on the road-trips; about 15c per cup) and we recycle our empty water bottles with the water out of those big self-serve machines at the supermarket for 35c per gallon (about 8c per litre).
    My wife and I are on the same page thankfully. We have a nice lifestyle, but do it as cheaply as we possibly can.
    It's a bit time consuming, and you feel like a tight-arse, but then we think of it as every cent we save on those two items (I can give you about 100 more) means more money free for travel and property investing.

Profile photo of okkamooieokkamooie
    @okkamooie

Hey Birddog

I am not worried about a recession.  I have a stable job in an industry not affected by ecconomic climate.  If this was not the case then I would be concerned and a bit more cautious.

From the investing perspective I am continually looking at the market place and adjusting my stratedgy to suit the market so from this aspect I am also not concerned about a recession as each ecconomic condition creates it's own opportunities.

In relation to the coffee and water, I reckon it's essential for a good coffee in the morning, I often seek out a good cappuchino. I have a rain water tank at home and for water there aint nothing better.

Don

Profile photo of emptypocketsemptypockets
    @emptypockets
    okkamooie wrote:
    I have a stable job in an industry not affected by ecconomic climate.  If this was not the case then I would be concerned and a bit more cautious.

This is what concerns me at the moment. I don't know anyone who thinks things could get worse for them.

Profile photo of pendopendo
    @pendo

I remember the 80's recession very well. Our sailmaking business was doing badly, even though our business was 75% percent reliant on export. We designed and made hang gliding sails with Bill Moyes. So we started buying property with my brother as partner.  In fact, we bought our first PPOR on the Central Coast. We struggled, and lived in a caravan onsite for about 12 months. We were owner builders, so saved a bit of money. A block of land below the cliff top we still live on, came on the market, shortly after we moved into the house. They wanted $10,000, which at the time we thought was a bargain. We paid $26,500 for our PPOR block. So we offered them $8,000 and got it. We also picked up a block of three townhouses on the Gold Coast for a bargain, which in time and some good tenants, have grown dramatically in value. Huh!!  I remember the joke at the time about Gold Coast units. It was easier to get rid of VD, than sell a property on the Gold Coast. Gradually, with a bit of personal spending restraint, and time, which is on every ones side, thousands turned into millions. Were we scared? At first…sure…but, if you work as a family, in a disciplined way, then it eases the burden of making money over time easily achievable. 

@xenia
    L.A Aussie wrote:
    Depends on your focus.
    Recession or not, we don't buy take-away coffees (one coffee in the morning with breakfast, and thermos while out on the road on the road-trips; about 15c per cup) and we recycle our empty water bottles with the water out of those big self-serve machines at the supermarket for 35c per gallon (about 8c per litre).
    My wife and I are on the same page thankfully. We have a nice lifestyle, but do it as cheaply as we possibly can.
    It's a bit time consuming, and you feel like a tight-arse, but then we think of it as every cent we save on those two items (I can give you about 100 more) means more money free for travel and property investing.

Good on you Marc, we should all be living like this. We spend way too much money on take away coffee and water because of a hectic lifestyle and simply just being too out of control to do what you do. Even today we had to stop off and buy bottled water for a picnic lunch because after trying to get 3 kids ready with phones ringing and stuff everywhere it was way too difficult to think where empty bottles could be so that we can fill them up!!! I admire people with simpler lifestyles!!!!

Profile photo of okkamooieokkamooie
    @okkamooie

Hey Emptypockets

I think you've got me wrong.  Not only do I think things can get worse, I expect that they will and I activley plan for a large number of adverse advents within my investing stratedgy and am naturally a cautious investor.  My point is that if it wasn't for the industry I am in then I would be even more cautious.

I think everyone should plan for things going "pear shaped" at some stage on their journey.

Don

@l.a-aussie

Hey Xen,
    Kids; now there's an expense.
    Latest report was $290k per child to raise them.
    Does that include private of Govt schools? Designer clothes or K-mart specials? What about if they live at home until they're 30?
    I have one, and I love him, but that's enough.

@xenia

Hi Marc,
    Yes they are expensive! Third one is just 2 weeks old so does not go to school the other 2 are costing us a fortune in tuition fees plus uniforms plus lunches plus excursions etc… We calculated over $1million spent on education until were done for all 3.
    Makes my $3 coffee seem insignificant :) (there I don't feel so bad now for having one!).

We find it very difficult to "save" money, just dosen't fit in with a busy lifestyle where convenience is a must. We do however have a strong focus on "making" money which kind of offsets the lack in saving it. Hope that even makes sense!!!

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Me i love the luxuries but still plan for the future. Not much point living like a hermit so you can retire at 40.DUDE YOUR 40. Thats a lot of livetime spent and gone. Id personally rather live a comfortable life all the way through than just save for the last part. All about balance i guess.
    Im 30 and by the end of the year i hope to own my PPOR 100% and add to to my first IP soon after. I have also
    Owned many cars,boats,bikes,pets,toys, etc etc
    Traveled
    Partied like mad
    Made friends all over the place.
    Splashed out on crazy luxuries.Tried most things once or twice
    Done many stupid stupid things
    And had NO REGRETS.
    You only live once so make sure you live the whole way through.
    PS The 40 comment wasnt directed at anyone,just trying to get my point across.

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

I was watching Sky News on Foxtel a month or so ago and they were speculating on the RBA increasing interest rates. They had a poll using the interactive feature of Foxtel and the question was; how much do you think an interest rate rise would affect you? Something like 20-odd percent responded with seriously. My question is; if you can’t afford a $50 a month rise in your mortgage, what the hell are you doing subscribing to Foxtel.

To me this says it all. Gen X and Y appear to have a warped understanding of what constitutes a basic standard of living. It’s like they regard luxuries as necessities. I think the problem of housing affordability is more to do with education than it has to do with genuine hardship (this includes attitudes towards money and “stuff” in terms of status).

@l.a-aussie

Drove past a high school yesterday at 8.30 am.

First time I've had to do that in at least 2 years.

What I saw was hundreds of teenagers walking to school with take-away Starbucks (their coffee is ordinary and I don't drink it for other reasons) in their hands, and a Macca's or B.K in the other hand.

When I was a kid, teenagers didn't drink coffee, and we had breakfast at home.

Ah, yes; the power of advertising and Hollywood influence.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.