All Topics / Help Needed! / Cheapest way of clearing a property

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of egdegd
    @egd

Folks

I've just purchased a 1,134SQM block with a 50 y/o 2×1 run-down weatherboard on it. As I am planning on building a new house on the block (probably two) I need to get rid of the weatherboard and would like to do so in the cheapest possible manner. I could contact a demolition co. to do it for me but was wondering what other options there are such as advertising it as a free house to anyone who is happy to take it away or alternatively offering it for sale.

Questions:

1. is there a viable market for this, if so, where do I best advertise to find interested persons (whether giving it away or selling it)?
    2. if i were to find an interested party, what rules/regulations etc. do I need to be aware of before the house is removed?
    3. should I opt to demolish, what should I be working on as a reasonable cost?

Thanks in advance.
    egd

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

hi egd,
    having contracted Demolishing companies to remove old WB houses several times (in Melb metro), on similar size blocks, for developments over the years. I can say from my experiences there are several factors that are to be answered that will dramatically affect the price of the final quote.
    *Does the house have any period features (windows, leadlighting, doors, door furniture, cupboards, fittings etc..) that are genuinely salvageable for them?
    *Does the property have any blue stone, unique bricks etc that are genuinely salvageable for them?
    *Is access to the property easy for heavy machinery ie: phone/power lines, concrete crossovers, close houses next door, trees of significance etc.?
    If your answer to these points is NO than there is probably no 'market' for it. A Demolition company can come and quote on this and guide you. Also keep in mind that the prices can rises dramatically if there is asbestos in the house/garage/carports/outhouses etc.. as they may have to sub out this job, so several quotes are very necessary. To give a you a guide I have paid between $8-12k per job over the years depending on the 'degree of difficulty" for the demo guys. While its is not out of the question, it would have to be a special house to not be charged anything to remove or demolish it. In the grand scheme of developing its not really that much but it is a neccessary evil. (Please note that I'm talking about 'house re-locations' which is mostly common practice in Qld).

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Hutch

Profile photo of egdegd
    @egd

Hutch

Thanks for your informative response. In my case the reality is that the only aspect that may be of value is the roof tiles, so I'll call for some quotes and take things from there.  As I secured the property at a significant discount to the current market I'm still counting myself lucky.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.